Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Heavenly Hues: Thematic Tafseer - QRN 301 > Answered Questions

Old 06-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Mariam 3:36
Ummat Muhammad

Who is the "us" in Ayah 6 of Al-Fatiha?

As-salaamu 'alaykum wa Rahmat Allah,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question, so if I am mistaken please forgive me.

My question is:

In salaah we say Ihdenas-seraat Al-Mustaqeem (اهدِنَــــا الصِّرَاطَ المُستَقِيمَ )/ (Guide us to the Straight Path) in every Ruk'ah, is there any analysis about who the "us" is? For example, are we asking for Muslims to be guided, for all of mankind to be guided, etc.? I can guess, but I was hoping someone could post a scholarly analysis.

Jazaakum Allahu khayran.

أَقُولُ قَوْلِي هذَا وَأَسْتَغْفِرُ اللهَ لِي وَلَكُم

I say this and invoke Allah for forgiveness for me and for you.
Mariam 3:36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #2
Yaser Birjas

Re: Who is the "us" in Ayah 6 of Al-Fatiha?

I do not remember reading anything in particular regarding the meanings you are alluding to, but Ibn Kathir rahimahullah mentioned it as part of the du’a of the believer asking for his needs and the needs of his fellow believers. This is also in reference to hadith Abu Hurayrah in Sahih Muslim –the sacred hadith- Hadith Qudsi: “I have divided the salat between Me and my slave; A half of it is for Me and a half for My slave and My slave shall acquire what he asks for…”
Ibn Kathir said: “This is the best method for seeking help, by first praising the one whom help is sought from and then asking for His aid, and help for one's self, and for his Muslim brethren by saying...[the ayah]”

To use the plural pronoun is one of the etiquettes of making du’a. Remember we recite this surah in salah everyday and the Imam does that loudly while people are standing behind his back, hence it is more appropriate to make the du’a for all.

Some beautiful remarks on the concept of Hidayah –guidance- acquired from this ayah are found in the works of Ibn Qayyim rahimahullah. Check Al-fawaa’ed, the chapter on the Fatiha; also check Zad-ul-Ma’aad vol.4 on the benefits of ruqyah with the Fatiha and his famous work Madariju-s-Salikeen.

Wallahu A’alam
Old 06-09-2008, 02:46 PM   #3
Ummat Muhammad

Jazaakum Allahu khayran!

Old 10-08-2008, 12:09 PM   #4
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaser Birjas

To use the plural pronoun is one of the etiquettes of making du’a.
As-salaamu 'alaykum wa Rahmat Allah,

I assumed that this etiquette also applies to the statement "jazaakum Allahu khayran," but I wanted to ask if my understanding is correct: is it better to say jazaakum Allahu khayran even when you are only talking to one person?

I also remember a non-Muslim Arabic-speaker once told me that it is more polite to use plural forms when you say things like "tasharrafna" (to people). Is the etiquette of making du'aa in plural out of a kind of politeness to Allah (subhaana wa ta'aala) or politeness to the people you are making du'aa for? Or are the two completely unrelated?

Jazaakum Allahu khayran.

Old 10-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #5
faheemkamran
Ummat Muhammad

well i will agree with Yaser Birjas the explanation that was told
faheemkamran is offline   Reply With Quote