Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Institute Main Administration > Ilm Summit

Old 08-18-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

Notes Sharing - Adab al-Ilm, others

Bismillah
Asalamu alaykum,

i was thinking we could go through a set of notes to help solidify some of the things we learned, and adab al-Ilm came to mind. just think, if we do it daily, insha'Allah we can cover the 2 weeks before Ramadan starts. insha'Allah it will serve as a great reminder to us all, and so that we do not sell ourselves short - wa a'oothu billah.

we can have people select dates for assignments to post their edited/corrected notes up (mines probably has tons of typos but insha'Allah it's all legible)

i really wish one of the Shaykhs would be teaching us from adab al-ilm and bukhari this morning, Alhamdullilah in all situations.

please let me know what you think or if there is another suggested topic everyone really wants.

asalamu alaykum

PS: insha'Allah I can do like 4 days, spaced out of course, unless there is a high demand for people wanting to contribute and share and post up their notes, i can definately cut down.
Abdullah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:09 AM   #2
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Notes Sharing - Adab al-Ilm, others

Bismillah

i hope this actually doesn't make people sad, if so, i can stop. otherwise, insha'Allah i can try what i can. by the way, where are majd sisters on this, a brother from there told me they were like transcribers.

what i could note make out in my notes, i put a question mark on it or commented:

i also hand wrote the notes on 8/2/2008, so i am starting with 8/3/2008
-----------------------------

Shaykh Yaser Birjas |Notes on Seeking Ilm, Etiquettes in Lifetime and Quest for knowledge | 8/3/08

·In shaykh Uthaymeen’s halaqah they sat on the floor, you had no table, only table you had was your knees. Alhamdullilah, you have chairs at least now.

·#1 Consider this quest for knowledge as Ibaadah: because once you lose interest it is not as sweet, but if you know it is ibaadah, you are doing it for Allah SWT. So if it is ibaadah, you have to maintain conditions for acceptance, 1) intention only for Allah, not to show off, not to say I did this and that, not about that, seeking ilm and getting as much as possible, and 2) to be on the sunnah, following the prophet peace be upon him, the Prophet did not sit in halaqah’s like us to learn, the path of seeking knowledge was also the Prophet’s, he would sit with Jibreel, and that also teaches us he was a master in seeking Ilm. The Prophet had that ardent and burning desire to get from Jibreel as much as possible, and he would rush into recitation when Jibreel recited, and Allah told him not to rush. He wanted to capture it quickly, and Allah guaranteed it for him.

·Imam Ahmad said: there is nothing like knowledge for anyone, if his intention was sound. (how would his intention be sound) “to have the intention to remove ignorance from his nafs and from other people as well” whenever shaykh Uthaymeen said that – when speaking on intention – remove ignorance from himself(missed that exactly). Whoever is given wisdom has been given a great deal of good.

·Zakah al-Ilm: usually people do not regard it as a treasure, but it is a treasure, and our ulema put it in poetry: The knowledge itself is like a treasure, it increases if you spend.

·It is ironic, if you spend it, it increases, but if you keep it in your hand it diminishes. The opposite of money, and it is so true.

·Advice they got: you need to review and rehearse and spread it – whenever an opportunity – by any means do it. So when the season of umrah came in, when they met knew people, they grabbed them and reviewed the knowledge with them and benefited them, so it stays in mind, otherwise you are going to lose it. So rehearse this with everyone else so you benefit insha’Allah. Try to review. Or if you know someone who is not attending, then spread this Ilm over the phone and seeing how much you can benefit.

·#2 A Person Should Maintain the Etiquette of the Ulema – even if you are not alim itself, because it is not about you, but the knowledge you are seeking. So act like them, because Ilm should make a change in you, otherwise no benefit, but it should have no arrogance/kibr, because people hate that, and it takes away all good, and even the most humiliated people on earth hate it. Don’t look down upon people who did not have opportunity to learn, and always try to look at them with eye of mercy, feel sorry for them, at same time try to benefit them.

·When it comes to arrogance: Ibn Qiyyam – the arrogant one is just like the one on a mountain, and when he looks down in valley everyone looks small, and when those in valley look up they see him and he looks so small as well. (so if you think are you are so great and big, the way you see people small, they see you small – it makes you small in eye of people)

·3rd Advice: maintain the path of khash’ya, fearing Allah. Cause Allah says those who fear Allah are the ulema (knowledgeable ones) – Qur’an. Forget about all this you are learning – this is not the main focus – because if you want to be most knowledgeable of this group, this Ilm should develop fear and khash’ya in your hearts, if it does not, you did not benefit. If it does, then this is testimony from Allah that you are alim, that you truly benefited. You need to do more and try to develop this khash’ya of Allah

·4th Advice: Humbleness. This is opposite of kibr. We need it in path for many things: 1) humbleness for the haqq, you came to this place with too many preconceived notions or opinions, and now you will hear so many diff things from teachers and students, so if you see something truth, submit and humble yourself to the haqq or you will not benefit, 2) also show this humbleness to the teachers, not humiliate self, but no arrogance, you might be too old or young, but still humbleness, because you would like to benefit from them, and if you do not be humble, you will not take from them. One of ulema was sitting in halaqa and listening to hadith from a young student – and he said I heard this before this hadith way before he was born – but he sat because he was benefiting from hadith of the Prophet peace be upon him. If you do not have the humbleness, you will not benefit.

·QA: if you doubt or think you may transgress beyond your limits – give what you know, and do not just take challenges and give more than what you have, and not do not put your interpretation to it – specifically if there are a number of interpretations. Also, tell people where you got the Ilm from, do it, because on(?) of barakah is that you have to attribute it to the source – ulema say.

·QA: when you narrate hadith, it needs to be verbatim. Imam Muslim was careful on this, letter by letter and word by word.

------------
Take-Away Points
  • Zakah Al-Ilm: It is a treasure. It is ironic, if you spend it, it increases, but if you keep it in your hand it diminishes. The opposite of money, and it is so true.
  • maintain the etiquette of the ulema, because it is not about you, it is about the knoweldge you are seeking
  • if the Ilm did not change you, it doesn't benefit you at all - a'oothu billah
  • Forget about all this you are learning – this is not the main focus – because if you want to be most knowledgeable of this group, this Ilm should develop fear and khash’ya in your hearts, if it does not, you did not benefit. - a'oothu billah.
  • have humbleness, because if you do not, you will not take from people, and you will not benefit
Old 08-19-2008, 03:09 PM   #3
amasu_s
Ummat Muhammad

AA
Will the notes for the other subjects be also be realeased.
amasu_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #4
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

does anyone have any good notes or corrects to this set? the ones on these days were not so spectacular. please share or any corrections, if so, i need them. jazak'Allah khayr.

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi|Adaab Al-Ilm, Imam An-Nawawi | 8/4/08

The student of knowledge is exposed to 4 spiritual diseases he has to learn to battle, in Nawawi’s introduction, of al-maj’moo. Nawawi’s life is indicative, his study schedule, his curriculum, is a model of excellence that has hardly been imitated in the ummah, and few reached his level at his age, and his writing is almost unparalleled. He achieved at a young age what most ulema would not reach in a lifetime. Ibn Kathir, Ibn Taymiyya, Thahabee, Ibn Qiyyam, none of the authors at these levels wrote a book on the etiquettes of study. Imam An’Nawawi is no doubt in the top 1%, and his intro is nothing but advice after advice after advice, - translate the intro of the maj’moo(?).

Avoid 4 spiritual diseases that plague every student of knowledge

·He is speaking from experience, and shaykh yasir can testify to those emotions, you have to battle them, they are present.

·#1. Jealousy: this is a disease that afflicted the earliest generations, even the sahabah. Small skirmishes between even Umar and Abu Bakr, they love each other for Allah’s sake, but they are human. “By Allah, you only want to oppose me”, one of them said to the other (Umar said it?). This feeling of jealousy is prevalent among students of ilm, and for 1 reason, their sincerity is not fully prevalent. Your jealousy is directed towards peers, not ulema. We are talking about bad jealousy, not against ulema – none of us feel it against bin baz or ibn qiyyam, but amongst our circle. And nothing breaks the bonds of friends like this type of jealousy. Ex: a group of friends start studying, and one of them excels, and it is natural for shaytan to put doubts into the hearts and minds of others – he is trying to show off, smart aleck – that feeling of hatred and looking down on someone who has achieved more than you, it comes from your own insecurities and lack of confidence, and comes from a diseased heart, because you are not content with what Allah has given, instead of contentment with qadr of Allah…

·Jealousy afflicts students of ilm, and if you start doubting others’ intentions, realize there is something wrong with your intentions, when you think they are showing off, then it means I am not the one who is sincere to Allah – it is not my business, I cannot open their hearts and see, it is none of my business. Allah will take care of him, and if am wrong in my judgment, I am sinful. Qur’an: avoid much doubt (suspicion), sometimes doubt(suspicion) is much sin: O you who have believed, avoid much [negative] assumption. Indeed, some assumption is sin [49, 12]… sometimes doubting people’s intentions is a sin.

·Nawawi: jealousy is avoided by appreciating Allah’s wisdom in that Allah chooses who to give what to - he is basically saying put trust in Allah’s qadr and hikmah, He averts things from you because you cannot handle them and do justice to them. Qadr and Hikmah – Allah knows what He is doing, not you.

·Hadith: it is possible that I do not give something to someone and I give it to someone else ($ context), because I am worried that $ will be temptation and fitnah, so because I love him more and know he cannot handle the fitnah of $, I do not give it to him (in sahih bukhari) (didn't find hadith yet)

·Maybe you were deprived of a blessing, because it would become a curse. So thank Allah, and still strive and strive to be a student of Ilm. Some will be first, some last, so whatever role Allah assigned for you, accept it. You run the race, and result’s up to Allah.

·Uthaymeen(?): anytime you are jealous of someone in a bad way, know that you have challenged Allah’s wisom – like saying O Allah, I know better than you. It is not befitting for a person to feel evil jealousy. Good type of jealous is admiring someone and wanting to be like them for that trait.

·Other emotions next insha’Allah

----------------------

Take-Away Points
  • Imam An-Nawawi is speaking from experience. you have to battle these things
  • jealously comes from your own insecurities and lack of confidence, and from a diseased heart, and from being discontent with the qadr of Allah
  • if you start doubting another's intentions, realize there is something wrong with your intentions
  • in some suspicion is sin [Hujuraat, 12]
  • jealousy is avoided by appreciating Allah’s wisdom in that Allah chooses who to give what to, trust in His wisdom and qadr. He knows what He is doing, not you.
  • maybe you were deprived of a blessing because it would become a curse. strive to be a student of ilm and leave the results to Allah.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #5
Mariam 3:36
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah~
·QA: when you narrate hadith, it needs to be verbatim. Imam Muslim was careful on this, letter by letter and word by word.
As-salaamu 'alaykum wa Rahmat Allah,

I was not an 'ilm summit student, so I know the primary purpose of this thread is not for me, but in reading through some of the notes (mashaAllah there are so many) I wanted to ask whether the response to this Q&A included a discussion about whether narrating the hadith verbatim meant that it needed to be narrated in Arabic?

Jazaakum Allahu khayran

أَقُولُ قَوْلِي هذَا وَأَسْتَغْفِرُ اللهَ لِي وَلَكُم

I say this and invoke Allah for forgiveness for me and for you.
Mariam 3:36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #6
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

wa alaykum salam wa rahmatulahi wa barakatu sister Mariam,

this thread is for anyone. nurayn represent.

it makes sense to me that for it to be exact, letter by letter, it obviously has to be in arabic since the Prophet peace be upon him didn't speak english. as for those who can not read Arabic ( personally, i need tashkeel for almost every word), i don't know what Shaykh Yasir's elaboration would be on that.

if someone has more complete notes on this portion of the notes, insha'Allah they can comment. Allahu Allam.

PS: unless you are trying to save for Hajj/umrah, please do everything you can to try and make it to IlmSummit 2009, may Allah bless it for you.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #7
Mirza
Ummat Muhammad

08/02/2004

First series lesson on Adab ul Ilm;

Introduction of Imam Nawawi's work al Majmu'. In the history of Islam, this is considered to be highest level of work in Shafee fiqh. introduction to Majmu' is a beautiful treatise that talks about characters of etiquettes of knowledge.

First advise of etiquette of studying Islaam, begins with Sincerity. there are books that teaches you how and why to study; all books begin with importance of ikhlaas. The problems of battling your sincerity is wide known. First hadith of Bukhari, Actions are only judged only by intentions. We will not get anything except what you intended.

Imam Shaf'ee refers this hadith to be 1/3of knowledge. Abdur Rahman ibn Mahdi, teacher of Bukhari, said, If i were to write a book, I will write each chapter start with this hadith. All scholars agree, this hadith is principled around which fiqh revolves.

Psychological Aspects of Sincerity:
Its not a disease that you just cure once. You never conquered it fully. The moment you felt you feel safe from this problem, know that Shaytaan has won and you have lost. Sufyan At Thawree ( AH 160) said, Nothing is more difficult for me to cure except my intention, it keeps on changing me. He was one of shaykh ul Islaam of Kufaa at his time.

One of ascetic of past said,
Whenever they testify sincerely to the sincerity of their sincerity.
Their ikhlaas needs ikhlaas.

If you think you have ikhlaas, you don't have it. You always have to be doubtful of whether or not we have ikhlaas.

Junayd, one of famous ascetic, a proto - sufi , said

The sincere person discovers that his intentions changes 40 times a day.
The one who is showing off he finds that his intentions remains firm for 40 years.

Think about that. A sign of sincerity is always vacillating in doubt. inshAllah if you are doing it, have comfort that you are at least on right track. The day you felt sincere, realize that you have lost the battle. Make sure you fight it always. It afflicts each one of us in the Ummah. It is worse the more you gain knowledge. Wherever you go , you can benefit people. And you should do that and you need to do so for the sake of Allah. The more you gain knowledge, battling sincerity becomes more hard. Solution is not to give up , Shaytaan has won again if you said to give up, solution is to fight this disease over and over and again.

Wakee' ibn Al Jarrah, famous scholar of hadith, said We began studying this knowledge for the sake of other than Allah Ta'la; It refuse to come to us until our sincerity was towards ( only ) Allah Ta'la.

Two interpretation of this quote.

1. Face value one. They could not understand the material itself. Only when they broke material barriers and turned to Allah sincerely, they gained knowledge.
2. They initially began to study for other than Allah Ta'la sake; But more they realized how mistaken their intention was; The more rectified their Niyaah, until finally they realized that knowledge can only be sought for the sake of Allah.

Both interpretation are equally valid.

Note: Schedule of Shaykh Uthaymeen rahmullah was such that, when he taught fiqh 45 minute timer; he would stop the subject without breaks, he would 35 minutes next sessions.

p.s. JazakAllah Br Abdullah for the initiative; I managed to take the some of notes on 08022008 missing and are as posted above. You always topped along typing those gems and it was great pleasure having you along my brother. I was sick for few days and now alhamdulillah reading each of these threads is bringing tears in Dua's for all our beloved shuyookh (YQ,YB,WB), all brothers and sisters who attended and those helped made it a greatest indoor event in history of USA; May Allah t'ala forgive us all.

This is my first post to almaghrib forums and alhamdulillah we all learn al Ikhlaas in learning our knowledge, which we all need to regard as our ibadah.

May Allah grant us the paradise , firdaws al A'ala and make us steadfast for the knowledge we received,, to continue to absorb, practice and teach and spread it step by step inshAllah. And make us among Siddiqeen. Ameen.

Mirza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #8
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

LA ILAHA ILLA LAH, how i miss these classes. but we will not have to miss them if we carry them in our hearts and actions, may Allah give us the guidance to do so, ameen.

Alhamdullilah, Mirza shared his notes with me, so whatever follows is my notes and when necessary, filling things in from his notes, may Allah increase him in all goodness and reward him well, and all our shayookh and fellow students, ameen.

-----------------------------
Shaykh Yaser Birjas | 8/5/2008 | Important of having a teacher and mentor – to learn aspects of every single discipline

·Uloom Al-A’laa (?) – instrumental things, like usool-hadith, others.

·Tajweed as well, you cannot study it on your own, you need a teacher to explain the topic to you, need for teacher depends on subject.

·For all disciplines, very important to have someone who can teach you them all

·Ibn Abbass spoke of importance of teacher, he was asked about… (?) – be raban’iyyoon, engaging in teaching the book of Allah and studying the divined commands/orders of Allah. Rabaniyoon – those who when they teach, they begin with the minor issues before getting into major subjects.

·So for you it is not for you to get into major and most popular topics. Ulema teach basics first, before major.

·If you do not learn anything from them in terms of ilm, at least learn mannerisms and dealing with people, akh’laaq. We learn from the imams that the mother says learn from their manners before anything else. Doesn’t mean go only to learn akh’laaq, because the primary goal is to get the knowledge. You need to also have the ilm too you are looking for with the alim

·2nd thing: when you learn from a shaykh, you need to trust him or her in their deen and religion, otherwise you will always suspect their belief, being mainstream. If you do not have that confidence in their deen, you will never benefit from them. Doesn’t mean to elevate the shaykh above human level, like he is an angel –such that if you see a mistake you get disappointed and leave that shaykh. If you see that, realize that is one of the weaknesses of all of us as human beings.

·3rd: ikraam ash’shaykh, to be respectful and nice to the teacher – begin with salaams whenever you meet the teacher. He might not know you by name, so don’t put him to hardship of figuring that out, say salams, it is me fulaan, but does not mean every time you meet him you say that – like, you met me 5 mins ago. They need to recognize you.

·4th: when you sit in his presence, sit respectfully. Specifically if sitting on the ground, here in the west they may stick feet in the face of the teacher, it is considered impolite in Islamic etiquette, you should fold your feet back. In a circle session with chairs, do not cross your feet in front of the shaykh, specifically if the shoes will be the face of the speaker. Some of our classes – we do not blame them, they are not used to it – they go back and put their feet on the front seat, so their feet face the speaker and that is not polite and should not be manners.

·5th: If you ask, ask nicely and politely, and when done, you listen nicely and politely. One of signs of a polite question, you do not say “you say”, or “you’ve just said”, and shaykh Uthaymeen was asked like that, “your evidence”, he smiled and said that was impolite to ask by “you said” because that puts you in a position of debate with him/her, instead say “what is our evidence”, or “the evidence” of such and such, so include the shaykh as well. Also do not interrupt by saying out loud “I have a question”, unless he says to say it out loud. He will see your hand. Do not ask a leading question, ask if you are investigating about information, it’s not about asking so that your neighbor gets the answer. Unless it is very important and you need the shaykh to answer for everyone. Because those can be offensive, because you are just leading the shaykh on. When asking the question, do not ask and then get busy with something else, specifically for a leading question; you ask and do something else? - no you listen to answer. Also, part of listening, do not show you know the answer, do not nod head as if ‘yeah, that is what I thought’ and do not say that, act as if it’s new knowledge to you, regardless. Leave arguments aside, sometimes they have follow-up questions, and sometimes they go back and forth forever, you will take his time and time of students. You can insha’Allah elaborate further after the session is over.

·6th: when you flip pages, you need to be careful with that. Today we use lap tops, they become noisy, so be as quiet as possible, if you cannot be quiet, use your pen and will be better later… (?) Doesn’t mean it is haram or not to use it, be quiet. Sometimes they make athan, so make sure you turn off the audio.

·7th: with all these etiquettes, we ask for respect, not that you over praise the person or put them above their level. Meaning don’t bow to them when shaking hands, or like dealing with the prophet, don’t kiss hand. Just students of knowledge trying to benefit, when you go to ulema you can do that. Shaykh Shan’qeetee was close to their age, but the amount of his knowledge is unbelievable, and if people go to kiss his head, he hates it. As they try, he pushes you down if he could, and if not he raises himself up so you kiss his cheek J Story: in the masjid of the university, every Friday after asr the shaykh teaches Buloogh an muraan (?), and you have 2-3,000 students ready to take notes, and he crosses his legs. All of a sudden someone goes through crowd to front, and the shaykh was about to start. Thought there was a need. He goes to the shaykh and people are looking, some kind of drama. He approaches him, no table in front of him, he then grabs his hand and shaykh gives ear, and he puts hand behind shaykhs head and bows down to kiss forehead, and the shaykh starts to push to get up, and the man pushes him down, and they struggled a while, and the shaykh lost and he was kissed. The shaykh’s face was so red and angry. And the students were also angry, he embarrassed him so much and putting shaykh through that. Don’t do that, don’t advocate for this. Do that with big ulema. What about sidi fulan, and maulana, and tareeqas - everyone becomes sidi, which means like sayyidee – like “master” – islamically we do not say haram, these are words for humiliation, doesn’t mean you should humiliate yourself, and we should avoid these titles as much as possible.

·QA: it is not rude to write down the answer, no.

·QA: nodding is ok to show you are following, not to show you know the answer. Do not also say names of people.

·QA: what if issue of maulana fulaan is part of the culture? In this case, follow the culture. Because when arabs see someone learned they say shaykh. In urdu, if you say that, it is like high-level. Aalim in urdu is normal, depends on the formal education they got, but in arab culture, you cannot call anyone an aalim, even if you have a phD, you would offend the person because it is too much calling them that – so go by culture.

·QA: a leading question: basically we have a gathering like this, and conversation was on the side and one or two brothers have issues regarding a topic, and they go ask the shaykh a question to answer those guys, and you just want the shaykh to answer the question. Do not occupy shaykh for a side note. Unless it is an open issue that you want everyone to elaborate on for everyone. Allahu Allam.

------------

Take-Away Points

• learn the basic topics before learning the specialty topics
  • have a teacher to learn the aspects of every single discipline
  • if you do not learn anything, at least learn akh'laaq from them. don't make that only thing though, primary goal is to seek knowledge
  • you must trust the deen of your shaykh, otherwise you will not benefit from him/her
  • you must show respect and honor for your shaykh, but not put them up on a pedestal or overpraise them
  • sit respectfully in front of shaykh, do not point feet towards them or cross your feet in front of them.
  • when you ask, ask nicelyi and include the shaykh in the question. do not say "you said..", this is bad manners.
  • do not use the shaykh, and ask leading questions. show respect.
  • when you receive answer, do not act like your know, and nod like you knew answer, act as if it is new information you never received before
  • be quiet when you flip pages of book, and type quietly, and mute sound/athans.
  • respect them, but do not overpraise your shaykhs
Old 08-24-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

Imam An-Nawawi’s Advice (continued) | Shaykh Qadhi | 8/6/2008

4 spiritual diseases (continued..)

·Starts off with jealousy, and not the 2nd: showing off. Because a beginning student of knowledge is not capable of showing off, has to reach a level in order to show anything off to begin with.

·There is a stage of jealousy where you do not know anything. You do not have to have any ilm to be jealous, but do to show off.

·Ar’Riyyah – doing something to be seen, from verb – ra’a – to see (to be seen?). ar’riyyah is mentioned explicitly in the Qur’an and sunnah, and they talk about this disease. Surah nisa, Allah says of the munaafiqeen, when they stand up to pray, they stand up lazy – their motivation – their only motivation is to show what they are doing to the other people.

Indeed, the hypocrites [think to] deceive Allah, but He is deceiving them. And when they stand for prayer, they stand lazily, showing [themselves to] the people and not remembering Allah except a little [Nisa, 142]

·Hadith: the thing that I am the most scared of for my ummah is minor shirk (other: hidden shirk)

·It is minor – compared to the major. And it is hidden because no one knows it but you and your heart, and Allah. It is not open shirk. Something outwardly you can never judge them for, if you accuse someone of it, you need to doubt your own intentions.

·He explicitly linked it with acts of worship like salah and zakah, and also seeking knowledge. So prophet warned us of this association of knowledge and showing off. He understood this would be one of the motivations a person could have

·Of the hadith – do not seek knowledge- laa - 3 profound things (the only 3 riyyah motivations when you study ) #1) so you can compete with the scholars; so you enter into their debates and write articles that can accept or reject this point, and feel you are in league of ulema, 2) or that you debate with the ignorant people; you show your prowess or intellect or deep knowledge, and dazzle ulema, you argue with them while they are not a legitimate opponent, so when an alim comes, he can make his ilm known to the masses, and avg masses do not know how to refute, they are just astonished at his ilm – so 2nd is to show intellect to masses, and 3) to beautify your gatherings; like a party, and a group is there, and you are center of attention because of your ilm, everyone goes to you there, questions asked of you. Finish hadith – whoever learns ilm for sake of these reasons, fan’naar an’naar – let him beware of fire of Hell (deleted a threat,that is more powerful than to mention… like if a father tells a kid – if you do this again…)

·Another hadith that links showing off to knowledge, bukhari and muslim, prophet asked abu hurayrah, do you know the 1st 3 people who will enter jehennam, who they are. Abu h: Allah and His messenger know best. 1st is the one who did jihad in the way of Allah and died a martyr, and the 2nd one used to give his $ left and right to charitable causes and was known as being generous, and 3rd - the one given the book of Allah and he taught it to others. These are first 3 to be thrown in fire of Hell. Allah will ask them what they did, and they will list what they did, and Allah will say you lie, and angels will testify too, and Allah will say you only did this so that people will say you were a muhajid, and they did, they are dragged to fire. Same situation with zakah person, and the learned person. He is told he is lying, and he did this so people would say he is an alim, and they said it, and they will be turned on faces and dragged to fire – he tapped abu h. and said Ya abu hurayrah saying that these are the first 3 to enter fire of Hell.

·So we always need to be sincere for Allah

·Showing off can be avoided by realizing the entire creation put together can neither help or harm you. All of this praise does not help you, if they criticize it will not harm you, so why care about their pleasure or displeasure (Nawawi’s advice).

·Intentions always have to be sincere, make creation unknown to you.

·Sign of sincerity: your private and public deeds are the same.. when you are alone and in front of other peoples’ eyes, you will still do same actions and khushoo – but really this is about not living a double-life. Point is not that you ignore people entirely, but do not establish a private life. Look at salah, how long do you pray in masjid vs private salaat or at home. Compare, if they are similar, Alhamdullilah, that is a good sign

·Issue, a very hidden form, when you become imam or leader, you recite differrent surahs than if you were on your own. Surahs should not be majorly different, recite same things. Examine niyyah for that double-standard

·To not do a good deed for fear of falling into riyaah is not to fall in riyah – but not good.

·In private you should have extra acts.

·If you did not do a deed because scared of praise, it is not linguistically riyyah, but it is a problem, it might be a sin, because you are falling into a sin by not doing a sin perhaps.

·References I gathered [8/24/2008]
Mahmoud ibn Labeed reported that Allah’s Messenger sall Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam said, “The thing I fear the most for you is the minor shirk: Ar-Riyaa’” Reported by Imam Ahmad rahimahUllah in his musnad (vol. 5, p 428-429) and Al-Baghawee in Sharh As-Sunnah (no. 4135) and Saleem al-Hilaalee said it has a Sahih chain of narrators… [from online, referenced from Shaykh Yasir Qadhi’s book on Riyah]

Abu Sa’id al-Khudri radiaAllahu Anhu reported that the Messenger of Allah sall Allahu Alayhi wa Sallam came to us while we were discussing about ad-Dajjal (the anti-Christ) and said, “Should I not inform you of that which I fear for you even more than the danger of ad-Dajjal? It is the hidden shirk: A person stands to pray and he beautifies his prayer because he sees the people looking at him.” [Sahih Sunan ibn Majah vol.2, p. 410, no. 3389]

Jaabir Ibn Abdillah related that the Prophet peace be upon him said, “Do not gain knowledge to compete with the scholar, nor to argue with the laymen, nor to impress and beautify gatherings, for whoever does this, then (let him await) the Fire, the Fire!” [Sahih Sunan Ibn Maajah]

----------

Take-Away Points
  • showing off can be linked to salaat, zakah, and seeking Ilm, specifically, so one must be wary of them
  • showing off can be avoided by remembering that all of the creation together can neither benefit you nor harm you, and the ciriticism does not hurt you and the praise brings no benefit
  • a sign of sincerity is your private and publice deeds are the same
  • do extra good deeds in private
  • If you did not do a deed because scared of praise, it is not linguistically riyyah, but it is a problem, it might be a sin, because you are falling into a sin by not doing a sin perhaps
Allahu Allam
Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

jazak'Allah khayr to all the shuyookh, may Allah reward them so well, and volunteers too. going over the notes reminds me of the blessings. insha'Allah these notes will really soften the hearts, ameen. may Allah grant us knowledge that is beneficial and protect us from knowledge that does not benefit, ameen.

Shaykh Yaser Birjas | Etiquettes of Student of Knowledge with his Colleagues | 8/7/08

1.Warning: Avoid Bad Company: how to identify a good person, by the frequent actions of good habits, the more good they do, the more you identify them with that attitude, and likewise with an evil person you would identify them as such. So ulema say, “A friend or a companion (that?) pulls you”, they attract, so when they attract you, it is to what they have, not what they do not have. “Good and evil are contagious”, meaning like a disease. So when you come with some company that is always associated with khayr, you yourself had tendency to do khayr, and the tendency to do wrong drops down. But with others, friends, relatives, and they do not have same tendencies to khayr, you get tendencies to whatever they have. We get this from hadith: the example of the good companion and the bad companions is like the example of the carrier of musk and the blacksmith. The one who carries musk, you get one of 3 things, he will give you something for free (like in Mecca, in the streets, for free), (2) or you might buy something from them (he might not offer you) meaning you request that from them, and (3) if you do not get for free or buy, at least you get a good smell (so either they advise you, or you ask them, or if neither of that, just being around them you feel good, feel good about yourself -that is why a gathering was forgiven when they came to do thikr, and a man did not come for that reason, and the Prophet said no one will be deprived of that – so just good company is a virtue). The blacksmith, you get one of two things, 1) if you come close to his fire it might get on your thobe and cause it to burn, or (2) if you do not get that, at least you get a bad smell (so you cannot breath)….so this is example of good companion, choose the best companion, and same with your university studies. Ulema, 3 categories of friends, (1) a friend who is only for convenience (some benefit for you or from you, if purpose is gone then the friendship dissolves, it doesn’t last long), 2) a friend for pleasure (you stay with them or vice versa for pleasure, might be haram, so they go to these haram places in spring break with their companionship, and once the pleasure is gone, so goes friendship. It could be for halal to, like socializing. However, socializing on the path of seeking ilm is very very dangerous, because when establishing too many relations, you establish many huqooq(rights) on you from them, so you ask about them, go eat with them, see their needs, that does not mean it is wrong, but that creates lots of huqooq for them on you, and that will use a lot of your time. It is very nice to talk and chit chat and things. When they went to Medina, the senior students warned against socializing, don’t be too social in the 1st year, at least. Medina is international. Even for good reasons you could. It is very very dangerous, so even while here in Ilm Summit, be social, but at same time do not forget about purpose here, seeking Ilm, meaning give knowledge its priority. You need to stay 10-15 mins with brothers, and it is so beautiful, but you need to leave when beautiful and go and mind your own business, and read, study review, etc. 3) a friend for virtue: those when they see you do wrong they come and tell you akhi/ukhtee, this is wrong, I am doing this because I love you for sake of Allah and don’t want to see you doing that, or if you fall behind on certain virtues, they will remind you. Or you wake up wife for 2 rakat witr prayer –this is a friend of virtue. (? Imam Muhammad Ibn Sireen , when he entered tthe market place they remember Allah, mash’Allah, Alhamdullilah – lighting with noor – and when others enter home they say a’oothu billahi mina shaytaanir rajeem?(not sure, Allahu Allam)). One of the best qualities is to enjoin right and forbid wrong – Allah preferred us because of this. You are the best nation produced for mankind, you command good and forbid evil

2.Review: when you have a good companion, you need that to review your notes. Back then they used to have the best companion and from him you start gathering and checking your notes and exchanging knowledge, and who did this, shaykh said this, what was the result? If you do not review ilm at end of the day, you will probably miss so much.

3.The Leader of the Group is the One who Serves them the most: he enslaves their hearts, because they are debt to him. The brothers who prepare things here for you, do not forget them in your dua, they make things comfortable for you, those people are our ummaraah, they deserve to be our leaders because of their service. So serve.

4.If you see something wrong from them, hide it: just hide it, because overall and after all they are human beings, those friends are humans and not angels, expect and accept that, but at same time you are to advise them, see if it was intentional or not. If you are not going to drink something because there is dirt on the surface, you will always remain thirsty. You say “if not for this, it will be perfect”, it will not be perfect, always expect faults. Hadith in bukhari: people are just like 100 camel, you will barely find one camel fit for your ride – meaning: in arab culture, if someone has a lot of $, they say he has 100 camels, and usually – we assume every camel can be good ride, but in Arab culture not everyone will be, most are good for just milk or meat, a few will be fit to ride, comfy, obey you. So prophet said just like 100 camels, can barely find one fit to ride. So out of every 100 persons, you can barely find you to be bosom friend and sacrifice life for them. Do they exist in large numbers, no. Hisham Abul Malik, Ummayid khalifa – he was asked what is left in the dunya what you would like to enjoy? He said: a faithful brother with whom I can remove formalities (someone I can sit with him and be myself, meaning I don’t want to be ameer al-mumineen, just be myself). Just like with roommates, you are dealing in formal fashion, you wish you could have bosom friend with which you could relax and be yourself, if you find one like that, hold on and do not let go, because you cannot find anyone like that.

--------------------

Take Away Points [8/26/08]

• Avoid bad company and surround yourself with good companionship. Remember the hadith of the prophet peace be upon him, regarding the example of a good companion vs a bad one.
  • There are 3 types of friends, 1) a friend of convenience, 2) a friend of pleasure, 3) a friend of virtue. Find the friend of virtue and stick to them.
  • When you have a friend of virtue, review your notes. If you do not, you will probably miss so much.
  • The leader of the group is the one who serves them the most. They deserve to be our leaders because of their service, they make things comfortable for us. Make dua for them.
  • If you find something wrong in them hide it, they are only human beings after all, things will never be perfect.
  • Out of every 100 people, you can barely find one to be your bosom friend and sacrifice your life for them.
  • Hisham Abul-Malik was asked what was left in the dunya that he could enjoy, and he replied: “A faithful brother with whom I can remove formalities.”
  • When you find a bosom friend like that, hold on and do not let go, because you can not find one like that