Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Guiding to Allah by the Book: Fiqh ad-Da'wah - DWH 101

Old 10-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Abdullah123
Ummat Muhammad

Dawah Techniques Guide - how to handle haters!

Dawah Techniques Guide

Your aim in da'wah

The aim of discussion in Islam is to convey the message; it’s not your duty to guide the hearts.

This means you need to make your point to show why Islam is convincing, the truth. If they aren’t convinced by your argument, you bring another forward which is based on what you think will convince them. This might be based on what category of people they’re from i.e. agnostics, Christians etc. therefore someone who understands the concept of Prophecies (i.e. a Christian) and is amazed by them will find them more acceptable as a source of discussion or proof compared to someone who feels that social reform is extremely important in people’s lives. You would discuss with the person that which interests them and may draw them closer to Allah.

You control the discussion

Sometimes, you can take the discussion to your advantage and discuss a topic which is well known to you (which convinced you of Islam to a high level), and may not be well known to them. i.e. discussing Prophecies with an agnostic may be more powerful in this case (because its likely that this agnostic has never come across this field of knowledge before and therefore is at your mercy since you have the upper hand of knowledge on this issue.) This is sometimes an advantage for you, especially if you know that this person won’t want to benefit from your call, because it’s a new field of knowledge for them, so the first person they have to hear this knowledge off is someone who has a lot of evidence to support what they say. Then it can either go 2 ways; where they either accept the truth of what is said, or reject it based on arrogance. Again, your duty is only to clearly convey the message.

Control your mind, don't let them control yours for you

When you discuss, psychologically tell yourself it’s a discussion, and not debate. This might relax you – especially if you hate confrontation. It’s all about the mind, if you can stay cool and patient during discussion, then you can achieve a lot insha Allah. As Allah informs those who fight in His cause, that be patient – because you are seeking His reward (through this deed of yours), whereas they have no hope for reward from Him (and are in fact wasting their life away which they find so precious.)

If you know you do not have enough knowledge on a certain field, then don’t discuss it, and if the person you’re discussing with asks you about it – you tell the truth, that you really don’t know much about that field of knowledge. This allows the other person to see you in a positive light [i.e. that you’re not arrogant, and that you’re being truthful, even slightly personal – which will relieve some pressure off them too, so they feel that if they don’t know something – they too can say ‘I don’t know’.] This will further relax both people in the discussion, relieve tension, and make them have respect for each other – making both people feel that its just discussion, not debate.

The general principles in Islam are your defense

In many discussions, anti Islamic people may quote certain ahadith which are specific due to a certain scenario. You do not know every single hadith off by heart, nor do you know their explanations. Before discussing with anti Islamic people, you need to have atleast a general understanding of different concepts in Islam. (This is why it’s extremely important to learn a lot before starting da’wah.) When you know these different concepts, you should read the evidences which support what has been stated since these will be extremely useful for you in future discussions. Once you know the true Islamic stance on these issues – if someone does quote a certain narration which is slightly different to the general principles which are firmly grounded in Islam – you simply convey the general position of Islam on the issue without commenting on the specific narration itself. (i.e. a good example is the concept of slavery in Islam, we know that there is such a MASSIVE collection of evidences from Qur’an & Sunnah in support of freeing slaves [the collection of Sahih Al Bukhari has a whole book on this topic of freeing slaves – (book 46)!] - so you tell the person that even if there is a specific narration which may contradict this general rule, it is based on some specific reason which I may be unaware of. And that they should accept the general rule presently (due to the great amount of evidences in support of it) – until you can find the explanation for that specific narration.

Haters' - how to handle them

There’s some debaters’ that you fall into a debate with, and you really hate their attitude. They really don’t want to learn and only want to stick their head into your conversations where it doesn’t belong. Or they continuously raise a point which you’ve already refuted. The best thing to do with them is to first ignore them, then after that you tell the people surrounding you to ignore him – especially if you know that they are on your side (i.e. they might be a Muslim audience or the group simply recognise that you’ve given a satisfactory response which the other person keeps ignoring.) If you ignore them well, or these people listen to you in ignoring him, it gives you a morale boost and it shames the other person because they’re not getting the attention they want.

However, this works well if the other person isn’t raising good points. Obviously, you’ll need to respond to these points and give answers to fill in all the missing gaps – the best thing to do is to see how the other person thinks like and give them a response to a response which they themselves were likely to give to you. I.e. be 1 step ahead of them. You should also ask other knowledgeable Muslims about certain things which you are unsure of because they might have seen another evidence or know an answer from a different viewpoint. That’s why we created iDawah – for that exact purpose, It’s the da’ees friend.

Once you’ve given a satisfactory response, the person may still use that argument because they don’t want to accept what you’ve just said, or they just feel that they’ve got a strong argument. But you’ve refuted it or atleast clarified it. You can’t guide their heart, so they might not accept what you’ve stated. However, due to this firm evidence which you’ve established – you make du’a for their guidance, and be patient, maybe even clarifying your response to explain to them what you’ve just said. However – if they’re arrogant, they will reject this, maybe they’ll reply back with something that isn’t based on any real substance i.e. they might claim something which isn’t based on any proof but is based on their assumptions only [whereas they claim to follow ‘proof’ from everything you say – a sign of double standards.]. These people need to be shouted at, and yeah I really mean that. You’ve done all you can and they won’t listen, its like their dumb, deaf and blind – tell them this, and ask them what the point of the discussion is if they don’t even want to hear your answers or benefit from them? ‘I thought you were intelligent? If you’re really after the truth, then why what is it that doesn’t make sense to you? I’ve even answered your questions perfectly well, so whats stopping you from realising the truth of what I’m saying?’ Make them reflect on what they’re actually doing.

If you know the person likes fighting and arguing, then don’t use this above technique. However, if you know this person uses logic a lot in support of their arguments, then this will make them think. They wont even know how to respond to it, because when normal discussion/debate is based on arguments which are logical, your statements are based on sincerety for them, emotion (which plays a huge part in people accepting certain beliefs [not just logical understandings as some say]) and even a conclusion/summarisation of your discussion. There’s too much information packed in these final statements of yours which can allow them to be more open minded to your replies, or it silences them, or it can even make them frustrated (which wont be justified – because you’ve answered as well as you can.)

This will then allow a totally new discussion to begin once again with them being either; open minded, silent [in which the debate will end], or them replying back angrily [but you will have shown that you are infact not guilty because you have justified your arguments, and therefore if they are not open minded to accept the truth of what you have stated – you are leaving the discussion.]

Last edited by Abdullah123; 10-23-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Abdullah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:42 PM   #2
AkheeAB
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Dawah Techniques Guide

Da’wah – calling others to Islam

Question:
How should we call people to Islam?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

Allaah created man and caused him to dwell on this earth, but He did not forsake him. Rather He gave him what he needs of food, drink and clothing, and revealed to him throughout the ages a path to follow and be guided by. The interests and happiness of mankind at every time and in every place depend upon following the path of Allaah and rejecting all others:

“And verily, this (i.e. Allaah’s Commandments mentioned in the above two Verses 151 and 152) is My straight path, so follow it, and follow not (other) paths, for they will separate you away from His path. This He has ordained for you that you may become Al-Muttaqoon (the pious)”[al-An’aam 6:153 – interpretation of the meaning]

Islam is the last of the heavenly religions and the Qur’aan is the last of the heavenly Books. Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) is the last of the Prophets and Messengers. Allaah commanded him to convey this religion to all of mankind:
“this Qur’aan has been revealed to me that I may therewith warn you and whomsoever it may reach”[al-An’aam 6:18]
Allaah sent His Messenger Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) with Islam to all of mankind, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘O mankind! Verily, I am sent to you all as the Messenger of Allaah’”[al-A’raaf 7:158]

Da’wah or calling others to Islam is the best of deeds, because it involves guiding people to the Straight Path and to that which will bring them happiness in this world and in the Hereafter:

“And who is better in speech than he who [says: ‘My Lord is Allaah (believes in His Oneness),’ and then stands firm (acts upon His Order), and] invites (men) to Allaah’s (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: ‘I am one of the Muslims.’”[Fussilat 41:33 – interpretation of the meaning]

Calling others to Islam is an honourable mission. This is the work of the Prophets and Messengers. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained that his mission in life, and the mission of his followers, is to call people to Allaah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Say (O Muhammad): ‘This is my way; I invite unto Allaah (i.e. to the Oneness of Allaah — Islamic Monotheism) with sure knowledge, I and whosoever follows me (also must invite others to Allaah, i.e. to the Oneness of Allaah — Islamic Monotheism with sure knowledge). And Glorified and Exalted be Allaah (above all that they associate as partners with Him). And I am not of the Mushrikoon (polytheists, pagans, idolaters and disbelievers in the Oneness of Allaah; those who worship others along with Allaah or set up rivals or partners to Allaah)’”[Yoosuf 12:108]

The Muslims in general and the scholars in particular are commanded to call people to Islam, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Let there arise out of you a group of people inviting to all that is good (Islam), enjoining Al-Ma‘roof (i.e. Islamic Monotheism and all that Islam orders one to do) and forbidding Al-Munkar (polytheism and disbelief and all that Islam has forbidden). And it is they who are the successful”[Aal ‘Imraan 3:104]

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Convey from me even if it is (only) one aayah.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 3461)

Calling people to Allaah is an important task and a glorious mission, because it means calling people to worship Allaah alone. It means bringing them forth from darkness to the light, planting goodness in the place of evil and truth in the place of falsehood. Hence whoever does this needs to have knowledge, understanding, patience, forbearance, gentleness and kindness. He needs to give of his wealth and of himself, and he needs to understand people’s circumstances and habits. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“Invite (mankind, O Muhammad) to the way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Revelation and the Qur’aan) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided”
[al-Nahl 16:125]

Allaah blessed His Messenger with the words (interpretation of the meaning):
“And by the Mercy of Allaah, you dealt with them gently. And had you been severe and harsh-hearted, they would have broken away from about you; so pass over (their faults), and ask (Allaah’s) forgiveness for them; and consult them in the affairs”
[Aal ‘Imraan 3:159]

The daa’iyah (caller) may be faced with debates in his da’wah activities, especially with the People of the Book. Allaah has commanded us, if it reaches the point of debate, to debate in a manner that is better, which is with kindness and gentleness, explaining the principles of Islam as they came, pure and simple, in a kindly manner and with no element of compulsion. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And argue not with the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), unless it be in (a way) that is better (with good words and in good manner, inviting them to Islamic Monotheism with His Verses), except with such of them as do wrong; and say (to them): ‘We believe in that which has been revealed to us and revealed to you; our Ilaah (God) and your Ilaah (God) is One (i.e. Allaah), and to Him we have submitted (as Muslims)’”
[al-‘Ankaboot 29:46]

Calling people to Allaah is a virtuous deed which brings great reward. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever calls others to guidance will have a reward like the rewards of those who follow him, without that detracting from their reward in any way. And whoever calls others to misguidance will have a burden of sin like the burden of those who follow him, without that detracting from their burden in any way.”(Narrated by Muslim, 2674)

If building a physical structure needs effort and patience until it is complete, then building souls and guiding them to the truth also needs patience and sacrifice. The Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called people to Islam, patiently bearing the persecution of the kuffaar, Jews and hypocrites. They made fun of him and disbelieved in him; they insulted him and threw stones at him; they said that he was a sorcerer or a madman; they accused him of being a poet or a soothsayer – but he (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) bore all that with patience until Allaah granted him victory and caused His religion to prevail. So the daa’iyah must follow his example:

“So be patient (O Muhammad). Verily, the Promise of Allaah is true; and let not those who have no certainty of Faith discourage you from conveying Allaah’s Message (which you are obliged to convey)[al-Room 30:60 – interpretation of the meaning]

The Muslims must follow the example and guidance of their Messenger and call others to Islam, bearing insults and harm with patience for the sake of Allaah, as their Messenger (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did:
“Indeed in the Messenger of Allaah (Muhammad) you have a good example to follow for him who hopes for (the Meeting with) Allaah and the Last Day, and remembers Allaah much”
[al-Ahzaab 33:21 – interpretation of the meaning]

The well-being and happiness of this ummah are only to be found in following this religion. Hence Allaah commanded us to convey the message to all of mankind, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“This (Qur’aan) is a Message for mankind (and a clear proof against them), in order that they may be warned thereby, and that they may know that He is the only One Ilaah (God — Allaah) — (none has the right to be worshipped but Allaah) — and that men of understanding may take heed [Ibraaheem 14:52]
"Useful knowledge is that which makes you grow in the fear of Allah, increases you in awareness of your defects, deepens your knowledge of the worship of your Lord Most High, decreases your desire for this world and increases your desire for the life to come, and opens your eyes to the defects of your actions so that you guard against them."
-Imam Ghazali
AkheeAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
AkheeAB
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Dawah Techniques Guide

The Obligation of the Call and the Duty of the Caller

Shaykh Muhammad Ibn Saalih al-’Uthaymeen

As for the saying of some of the people that is is permissible to become du’aat (callers) without knowledge, then if they mean a daa’ee without a huge amount of knowledge, able to give fataawaa (religious verdicts), explain and deduce issues from their proofs – then it is possible to accept this saying.

[Q.1]: Is da’wah (calling) to Allaah obligatory upon every Muslim man or woman, or is it to be left for the Scholars and the students of knowledge only? Is it permissible for the lay person to call to Allaah?

[A.2]: When a person has knowledge and insight into that which he is calling to, then there is no difference between the one who has a great amount of knowledge, or a student of knowledge who has recently started in pursuit of knowledge, or a lay person – as long as he has certain knowledge of the issue at hand. The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: “Convey from me, even if it is one aayah.” [1] So it is not a condition upon the daa’ee (caller) to attain a great amount of knowledge, but the condition is that one must have knowledge of what one is calling to. If this calling is established upon ignorance and passion, then it is not permissible.

Thus, we see that some of the brothers who call to Allaah, they do not have except a little knowledge. We see them, due to their strong emotions, prohibiting that which Allaah has not prohibited, whilst making obligatory that which Allaah has not made obligatory upon his worshippers. This is a very dangerous matter, since permitting what Allaah has made haraam (unlawful) is like prohibiting what Allaah has made halaal (lawful). So when they begin prohibiting people from making a certain matter halaal, then others will rebuke them for making it haraam. Allaah the Most High says:

“And do not say, concerning that which your tongues falsely put forward, ‘This is lawful and this is prohibited,’ so as to invent lies against Allaah. Indeed those who invent lies against Allaah will never prosper.” [Sooratun-Nahl 16:116-117]

As for the lay person, then he must not call to Allaah if he does not have knowledge. Rather, it is essential to have knowledge, in accordance to the statement of Allaah the Most High:

“Say: This is my path, I call unto Allaah upon sure knowledge.” [Soorah Yoosuf 12:108]

So it is a must to call to Allaah upon knowledge. However, if a matter is clearly known to be evil or good, then one can command it – if it is good, or prohibit it – if it is evil.

So the callers to Allaah must start with knowledge. Whosoever calls to Allaah without knowledge, then such a person will cause greater harm than good – as is evident. So it is obligatory upon a person to first acquire knowledge, then to give da’wah. As for the clear evils, and that which is clearly good, then the good is enjoined and the evil prohibited. [2]

[Q.2]: What is the difference between a Scholar and a daa’ee?

[A.2]: The difference between the Scholar and the daa’ee is clear. The daa’ee is the one who strives to convey the message of the Sharee’ah to the servants of Allaah. He calls them, sometimes by means of targheeb and tarheeb (persuation and deterring).

The Scholar is the one to whom Allaah has given knowledge and who may, or may not be a daa’ee. However, if the Scholar is not a daa’ee, then he is extremely deficient in his knowledge, and not a complete inheritor of the Messenger of Allaah sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam). This is because the Prophets (’alayhimus-salaatu was-salaam) did not bequeath the dirham nor the deenaar as inheritance, but they bequeathed knowledge, as the Prophet sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said: “Indeed the Scholars are the inheritors of the Prophets, and indeed the Prophets do not leave behind them the deenaar nor the dirham as inheritance. They leave behind only knowledge as inheritance. So whosoever acquires it aqcuires a huge fortune.” [3] Consequently, whoever acquires knowledge and calls to Allaah, then such a person has truly inherited from the inheritance of the Prophets – in proportion to what he establishes and implements from their prescribed laws.

As for the saying of some of the people that is is permissible to become du’aat (callers) without knowledge, then if they mean a daa’ee without a huge amount of knowledge, able to give fataawaa (religious verdicts), explain and deduce issues from their proofs – then it is possible to accept this saying. However, if they mean a daa’ee not having knowledge what to give da’wah to, nor having knowledge what to give da’wah with, then there is no doubt that this cannot be. And I warn people from calling to the truth in this manner, since the harm caused is greater than the goodness achieved, as can be seen! [4]

Footnotes:

[1] Related by al-Bukhaaree (no. 3461) from ’Abdullaah Ibn ’Amr (radiyallaahu ’anhu).

[2] Taken from as-Sahwatul-Islaamiyyah (p. 75-76) of Shaykh Ibnul-’Uthaymeen, as compiled by ’Alee Aboo Lawz.

[3] Hasan: Related by Aboo Daawood (no. 3461) and Ibn Maajah (no. 223) from Abud-Dardaa‘ (radiyallaahu ’anhu). It was authenticated by Shaykh al-Albaanee in his checking upon Sharhus-Sunnah (1/276).
"Useful knowledge is that which makes you grow in the fear of Allah, increases you in awareness of your defects, deepens your knowledge of the worship of your Lord Most High, decreases your desire for this world and increases your desire for the life to come, and opens your eyes to the defects of your actions so that you guard against them."
-Imam Ghazali
AkheeAB is offline   Reply With Quote