Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Precious Provisions: Fiqh of Food and Clothing - FQH 302

Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM   #1
Sally Mahmoud

vanilla extract?

assalamu alaikum!

I would be most grateful if someone could answer this question.. sh YQadhi got asked about vanilla extract when he was here for LUL and i didnt get to hear his answer..

does anyone know what his stance is on vanilla extract which contains a percentage of alcohol usually?

Jazakum Allah khair!
Old 11-28-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
Ify Okoye
Ameerah, Qabeelat Nurayn

Re: vanilla extract?

He said that you can use it, because the amount of alcohol is so miniscule, wa Allahu ta ala alam.

الحمد لله الذي بنعمته تتم الصالحات
•*¨¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ Umm al-Qaba'il ¸.•'´¯).•:*¨¨*•
Nurayn: The Lighthouse

Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should say good or remain silent. [Bukhari and Muslim]
Ify Okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Um Tammer
Qabeelat Mubeen

Muslim Apple, Do you recall what he said about Balsamic Vingear?
Was the statement about the vanilla extract said during one Sh.YQahdi's
classes? Jazakee Allah Khayrun in advance

Um Tammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:36 PM   #4
Basil
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil
I thought about this some more and this only raises some more questions that, inshaAllah, the sheikh can answer.

Sheikh Bilal Philips asserts that, while it is impermissible to make vanilla extract because purchasing/obtaining alcohol would be necessary to do this, it is permissible to eat things containing vanilla extract because it cannot get you intoxicated.

Hypothetical question, would this extend to any dishes where the alcohol would be sufficiently cooked out of the food? For instance: rum cake or beer-battered fish? Going from my understanding of that video, it would be impermissible to make these dishes but I am unsure of the ruling when it comes to consuming them (I would venture that it would be haraam however).

Last edited by Basil; 12-01-2008 at 01:22 PM.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Ify Okoye
Ameerah, Qabeelat Nurayn

Umm Tammer, this specific question about vanilla extract was asked during one of the question-and-answer sessions during the Light Upon Light Lite seminar. I do not know anything about balsamic vinegar.

I think all these other questions will be clarified and explained in further detail in the actual Precious Provisions seminar.

Wa Allahu alam.

الحمد لله الذي بنعمته تتم الصالحات
•*¨¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ Umm al-Qaba'il ¸.•'´¯).•:*¨¨*•
Nurayn: The Lighthouse

Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should say good or remain silent. [Bukhari and Muslim]
Ify Okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #6
cuah
Ummat Muhammad

Salaam.

I didn't want to revive this thread but I'm still unclear about this topic.

I read the answered questions' posts regarding this and I remember the Shaikh said it is not haraam as it is negligible in foods.

But it is something that can intoxicate in large quantities, why is it not haram even in small quantities? How can we understand this in light of the fiqh rulings the shaikh taught us?

As a contrast, if we look at adding wine while cooking, it is only added for taste, as is vanilla extract. And both of these ingredients are intoxicating in large quantities. Thus they would be haram even in miniscule quantities.

Just some stats on wine in food:
USDA Table of Nutrient Retention Factors, Release 5 (2003)
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/index.html

Table from USDA Showing Percent of Alcohol Retained After Cooking
Preparation Method Percent of Alcohol Retained
alcohol added to boiling liquid & removed from heat 85%
alcohol flamed 75%
no heat, stored overnight 70%
baked, 25 minutes, alcohol not stirred into mixture 45%
baked/simmered, alcohol stirred into mixture:
15 minutes 40%
30 minutes 35%
1 hour 25%
1.5 hours 20%
2 hours 10%
2.5 hours 5%
cuah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:22 PM   #7
Abdullah21
Qabeelat Majd

How about red wine extract?
some of the vitamins and granola bars nowadays contain this ingredient.

Has anyone asked a shuyookh about this?

For example these:
Quote:
Red Wine Extract Red wine extract contains natural polyphenols (antioxidants) known as resveratrol. Resveratrol is a molecule that is abundant in wine, blackberries, and peanuts. Resveratrol is produced by a number of plants, apparently for its antifungal properties. It is found in grapes (mostly in the skin), raspberries, blackberries, peanuts, Vaccinium berries (blueberries, whortleberries, cranberries), and certain pines, among others.

http://www.praeventia.ca/en/antioxidants.php#wine
Also very interestingly, the reason for these products is to get the "benefits" of wine without the actual alcohol

Jamieson-Unveils-Resveratrol-Red-Wine-Extract
Abdullah21 is offline   Reply With Quote