Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > A Heart Serene: Studies in Tazkiyah - ADB 102

Old 12-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #11
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Can you recommend a good book on refutation of Sufis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hameed
Is the book madarij saalikeen available in print? ie in full and in English?
Check out this thread. Insha'Allah it'll be of some help. http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthread.php?t=27374

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
Mariam 3:36
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sara
I haven't finished reading it, but it's a small book containing some letters that Ibn Taymiyyah wrote, the book might contain the letter that you're referring to.
MashaAllah, sounds like an interesting book! What is the title?

أَقُولُ قَوْلِي هذَا وَأَسْتَغْفِرُ اللهَ لِي وَلَكُم

I say this and invoke Allah for forgiveness for me and for you.
Mariam 3:36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #13
JayshAllah
Ummat Muhammad

My favoritest book: Kashf al-Shubuhaat by Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahhab with Sharh by Yasir Qadhi...of course it is only about one topic, namely isighatha to the dead, which is a major difference we have with extremist Sufis.

"Be RELEVANT!" --Imam Suhaib Webb
JayshAllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:51 PM   #14
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariam 3:36
MashaAllah, sounds like an interesting book! What is the title?
I don't know why the post was deleted previously, perhaps because it wasn't exactly on the topic of the thread, but the title is

Letters from Prison

look for it

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:59 AM   #15
Mariam 3:36
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sara
I don't know why the post was deleted previously, perhaps because it wasn't exactly on the topic of the thread, but the title is

Letters from Prison

look for it
Jazaakum Allahu khayran Sr. Sara! Got it written down somewhere (just in case it gets deleted again) .

أَقُولُ قَوْلِي هذَا وَأَسْتَغْفِرُ اللهَ لِي وَلَكُم

I say this and invoke Allah for forgiveness for me and for you.
Mariam 3:36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:11 AM   #16
bintamina
Ummat Muhammad

Wallahu 'alam, perhaps it was a mistake, as mine was also deleted. In any event, I had basically responded to Sr. Sara mentioning the book title, saying something along the lines of:

SubhaanAllah, what an amazing book (from the little that I've read of it).

I recall a sister had purchased it after it had been recommended to her by many sisters (all who said it was an emotional read). She had transcribed one of the letters that Ibn Taymiyyah had written to his mother, and mashaAllah, it was absolutely amazing (I recall posting that particular letter on the forums a while back, but can't seem to find it). In any event, mashaAllah, I was excited to find the other day that letter along with another on a website.

Wa Salamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barakatu

"With good manners you understand the knowledge. With the knowledge, your actions are corrected. With actions, wisdom is obtained. With wisdom you understand zuhd (abstinence) and are granted its benefits. With zuhd comes abandoning the world. With abandoning the world comes desire for the Hereafter. With desire for the Hereafter the pleasure of Allaah – the Mighty and Majestic – is obtained."

Iqtidaa`ul 'Ilmil 'Amal (no. 31)
bintamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:10 PM   #17
Abd Al-Azeez
QShams Impact Teamleader

As-Salaamu 'alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu, my dear brothers and sisters,

I wanted to kindly clarify that there is no such thing as 'Sufism', and it would be a very weak approach to take if we were to treat 'Sufis' as one whole. In reality, the word 'Sufism' or 'Tasawwuf' is taken up by a number of people, most of whom are sincere Islamically and many of whom try their utmost to ensure all their actions are in line with Islam and not legacies of bid'ah. It's similar to the word Muslim; we all know that there are colossal differences between those who call themselves Muslims, so to treat them as a whole is simply the incorrect approach. Of course, there is our view on Muslims following the correct manhaj, but this is not my point. My point is that it would be a mindboggling mistake to treat Sufis as if they were one monolithic whole as this simply does not match the reality.

If we take, for example, the word tasawwuf, one of its meanings is as if being pure as white sheets, referring to a pure heart and cleansing it of its love for worldly distractions. This is, in other words, 'tazkiyyah' which we all know to be self-purification. We are all well-aware that this is exactly what a Muslims goal should be, so let us be careful with placing 'Sufis' into one box that makes it easier for us to deal with 'them'.

Secondly, if our intentions are sincere and we intend to advise other Muslims on the right way, not to refute them for the sake of refutation but for the sake of elevating our Ummah, then we will appreciate that there are expansive difference between those who identify themselves as 'Sufis'. It makes it more convenient for simplistic mindsets to think of Sufis all as one whole with minor differences, but this is exactly the type of thinking that causes fitnah and hatred amongst us. You will find amongst those who call themselves 'Sufis' those who believe dancing like whirling dervishes is a rewardable action, and you will also find amongst those who call themselves 'Sufis' those who believe it is an innovation. You will find those who make du'aa for intercession to men who have passed away, and you will find those who don't accept this as valid. The word 'sufi' doesn't denote one meaning and we must acknowledge that if we are to progress in our understanding of this topic.

Our intention must be purified down to its most miniscule essence, that is, if we are sincere to Allaah and ourselves, then we will seek to spread His Deen in the best way possible and seek to help those we believe have gone astray, but should this be done in the 'ASTAGHFIRULLAAH, YOU DEVIANT INNOVATORS!' manner, we have not only turned someone away from listening to any future naseeha from us, but we will have also done our Ummah a grave disservice.

In short, the concepts and goals that we find amongst much of early Sufi literature is vital to us as Muslims looking to tread a pure path to Allaahs Mercy - nothing of it contradicts the correct manhaj. How can the early stage 'Sufis' be wrong for wanting to abstain from the corruption of this world, something we know as 'zuhd'? This was the beginning of 'Sufis', and we must recognise the fact that 'Sufism' has had a history of different stages, the beginning stages being one void of 'tareeqahs' for example. Just because of the extremes amongst those who call themselves 'Sufis' doing questionable actions, we shouldn't label every single one of them as a deviant and neither should we be lazy by not looking into the matter in a more open-minded manner. In that case, we have much to learn ourselves before thinking ourselves worthy enough of teaching others, and we can only blame ourselves for our Ummah languishing in naivety and ignorance for not having thought matters through properly.

And Allaah knows best.

Wa 'alaykum as Salaam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatuhu.

Last edited by Abd Al-Azeez; 12-16-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Clarification
Abd Al-Azeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #18
Atif
Qabeelat Wasat

I agree with Abd Al-Azeez; it's a shame that even some famous students of knowledge lump all sufis/mutasawwifeen together.
1. There are extreme sufis who believe in monism, seeking help from the dead, and another extreme innovations in 'aqeedah. You can think of LOG as a refutation to their 'aqeedah.
2. And there are others who are Ash'ari or Matureedi in 'aqeedah, but they believe that tasawwuf is part of the sunnah. In fact, they say that neglecting the sunan slows down one's progress in purifying one's soul. This sounds good...it just seems like different terminology: tazkiyyah/tasawwuf, right? The problem is what they think "tazkiyyah" includes:
- believing a scholar's legitimacy based on their karamaat, or even just outward piety.
- group dhikrs
- awraad that aren't from the sunnah
- ways of worship/thikr that are based on weak hadith or worse
- the over-praising of saints
- piety being "transferred" from shaykh to student
- taking one's beliefs and acts from sources such as dhawq, kashf, and ilhaam
- believing in the existence of a hierarchy of 'saints'
- confessing your sins to your shaykh
- taking bay'ah

Different tareeqahs (like there are madhabs in fiqh, they have tareeqahs in tasawwuf) believe in the above matters to different extents. They may even reject some of those matters outright.

I have seen books/articles refuting Group 1, but I haven't seen much at all on Group 2.
If we need a book, it would be a book explaining which of the above matters are from the sunnah, and what their limitations are ( as some of the above matters do have a grain of truth to them).

Perhaps we haven't seen any books/articles in English, because it takes more wisdom to guide such people, because they are sincere and they're keen on seeking knowledge from their shaykhs (only). So writing a book of refutation, may not really help things along....

Rather, what helps is instilling the belief that we take our acts and beliefs from the Qur'an and authentic Sunnah. Once this is ingrained in a person, they will start to question the statements/acts of their shaykhs ("this sounds weird..where are they getting this from?"), and eventually they will find out (in shaa Allah) that the actions of their tareeqah are not always compatible with the Sunnah.
Atif is offline   Reply With Quote