Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Conquest: History of the Khulafaa - HST 201

Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #1
Tilth
Banned User

'Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him]

Umar ibn al-Khattab (Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him") spoke the famous words: "The bonds of Islam will be undone one by one when there will be a generation brought up in Islam who do not know what Jahiliyah is." ('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.49 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

The difference between a king and a caliph:

'Umar said: "By Allah, I do not know if I am a caliph or a king. If I am a king this is a serious matter." Someone said to him: "There is a difference between them. A caliph does not take anything except rightfully, and he does not give anything except rightfully, and you - praise be to Allah - are like that. A king oppresses the people taking from one giving to another." And 'Umar fell silent.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.181 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar asked Salman al-Farisi: "Am I a king or a caliph?" Salman said: "If you collect from the land a dirham, or less or more, and put it where it does not belong, then you are a king and not a caliph." And 'Umar wept.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.181 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

It was narrated that 'Umar said:

"There is nothing good in a decision taken without consultation."

"An individual opinion is like a single thread, two opinions are like interwoven threads, and three can never be broken."

"Consult regarding your affairs those who fear Allah."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.182 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

"Men are of three types: a man who deals with problems according to his opinion; a man who consults others with regard to matters he is confused about and follows the opinion of those who have wisdom; and a man who is confused and helpless, as he does not consult others and cannot take decisions."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.183 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

"It is the duty of the Muslims to run their affairs by consultation between them and people of wisdom, as the people should follow those who are in charge of their affairs. So long as they are united then their opinion becomes binding on the people and the people should follow them. Whoever becomes in charge of the Muslims' affairs should follow the opinion of the people of wisdom and whatever they suggest is in the best interests of the Muslims, and whatever plans they draw up in the case of war, the people should follow their opinion."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.183 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] used to say: "I have not appointed my governors over you to whip you, slander your honour and seize your wealth, rather I have appointed them to teach you the Book of your Lord and the Sunnah of your Prophet. Whoever is wronged by his governor, let him refer the matter to me so that I may settle it."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.210 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "There can be no certainty that a man will not confess (to a crime) if he is starved, frightened and detained."

These words of 'Umar indicate that it is not permissible to obtain a confession from a suspect under pressure or by means of threats, whether the means used are physical, such as depriving him of his stipend or confiscating his wealth, or psychological, such as resorting to treats and scaring him with all kinds of punishment.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.210 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

It was narrated that Abu al-Ashhab said: " 'Umar passed by a garbage dump and stopped there, and it was as if his companions were bothered by it (the smell). He said, 'This is this world of yours which you are so eager for and you weep over.' "

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.236 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

{The Day you shall see it, every nursing mother will forget her nursling, and every pregnant one will drop her load.} (Q'uran 22:2)"

'Umar said: "I thought about the matter, and I realised that if I wanted this world, that would damage my prospects in the Hereafter, and if I wanted the Hereafter, that would damage my prospects in this world, and if this is the case, I would rather my prospects be damaged in this transient world."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.236,237 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] said: "The people will be honest with their ruler so long as the ruler is honest with Allah, and if the ruler is dishonest, the people will be dishonest."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.246 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

"Do not be deceived by a man's eloquence; rather whoever fulfils trusts and refrains from impugning people's honour is a real man."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.272 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "Do not look at a man's prayer or fasting; rather look at his reason and honesty."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"] His Life & Times vol.1 p.272 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "There are two (types of) men I do not fear for you a believer whose faith is obvious and a kafir whose kufr is obvious. Rather I fear for you the hypocrite who hides behind a show of faith but strives for some other purpose."

'Umar described sincere companions as follows: "You should look for sincere companions, for you will be happy with them; they will be a source of pleasure at times of ease and a support at times of calamity. Think positively of your brother until he does something that justifies your keeping away from him, and keep away from your enemy, and beware of your friend except those who are trustworthy, and there is no one who is trustworthy except one who fears Allah. Do not keep company with an evildoer lest you be influenced by his evil, and do not tell him your secrets. Consult those who fear Allah about your affairs."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"]His Life & Times vol.1 p.277 - 278 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "Were it not that I like to walk for the sake of Allah, and sleep on the ground for the sake of Allah, or sit with people who choose the best words as one chooses the best fruit (i.e. they speak eloquently), I would like to have met Allah (i.e., died)."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him"]His Life & Times vol.1 p.278 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Ibn 'Abbas narrated that 'Umar said to some of Quraysh: "I have heard that you have gatherings. No two people should have a private gathering so that it is said that this person is the companion of So and so. So private gatherings should be avoided. By Allah this is harmful to your religious commitment, harmful to your honour and harmful to your unity between you. I can see that those who come after you will say, 'This is the opinion of So and so,' thus dividing Islam into factions. Make your gatherings open to everyone and sit together, for this will cause the love between you to last and will make you more respected among the people."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.291 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said to one who fidgeted during the prayer: "If one's heart was properly focused, his limbs would be too."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.301 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "If a man comes out of his house carrying a burden of sins like mountains of Tihamah, then when he hears some knowledge he fears Allah and repents, he will go back home with no sins on him. So do not forsake the gatherings of the scholars."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.332 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "No man is a scholar until he does not envy those who are above him and does not despise those who are beneath him, and does not take any payment for his work."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.333 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "Acquire knowledge before you become leaders and pride prevents you from learning and you live in ignorance."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.333 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "Even if knowledge does not benefit you, it will not harm you."

'Umar said: "The death of a thousand worshippers is easier to bear than the death of a scholar who has knowledge of what Allah has permitted and forbidden."

'Umar said: "Be vessels of the Qur'an (i.e., learn it by heart) and founts of knowledge, and ask Allah for provision day by day, and it will not harm you if He does not give you a lot."

'Umar said: "Seek knowledge and teach it to people. Learn dignity and tranquillity, and be humble towards those from whom you learn knowledge and be humble towards those to whom you teach it, and do not be tyrannical scholar otherwise your knowledge cannot be established because of your tyranny."

'Umar warned against the mistake of scholars and said: "Islam will be destroyed by the mistakes of scholars, the arguments of the hypocrites who misinterpret the Qur'an to support their views and misleading rulers."

The words "Remember that some stinginess is a brand of hypocrisy" clearly refer to those who fall short in spending for the sake of Allah. They see some states and groups of their ummah being attacked by the kuffar, their honour being violated and the resources of their lands being plundered, but when those who are being attacked rise to fight in jihad, they only find a few Muslims who are willing to help them with their wealth. Those believes who are afflicted with the disease of miserliness are behaving somewhat like the hypocrites, which is a sign of weakness of faith.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.336, 337 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu] said: "Whoever conceals his secrets will have the choice (of telling whomever he wants to tell), but whoever speaks or acts in a suspicious manner should not blame anyone who thinks badly of him. Do not think badly of a word spoken by your brother when you can still find good ways to interpret it. Think positively of your brother until you are certain that he is not like that. Do not swear a great deal lest Allah humiliate you. There is no better reward for one who disobey Allah concerning you than your obeying Allah concerning him. You should seek sincere friends and maintain good relations with them, for they are a pleasure at times of ease and a support at times of calamity."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.337, 338 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Sayings of 'Umar:

"When did you enslave people whose mothers bore them free?"

"No one is suited to this position except the one who is gentle without being weak and strong without being harsh."

"I want a man for the position of governorship who, when he is the leader of people he would be thought as one of them, and when he is one of them he would be thought of as their leader."

Concerning governor's: "I complain to Allah of the wrongdoing of one who is strong and the incapability of one who is pious."

"Whoever does not recognise evil is more likely to fall into it."

"I am not a crafty person but I cannot be deceived by a crafty person."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.340 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "When Allah commands people to do a thing, He helps them to do it, and when He forbids them to do a thing, He renders them independent of it."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.340 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Adh-Dhahabi said: "Abu ad-Darda' was the scholar of the people of Syria, and the teacher, faqeeh and judge of the people of Damascus. He was one of the few most prominent Sahabah (Companions of the Prophet) in knowledge of the Qur'an. He encouraged the people of Syria to seek knowledge, saying, 'Why do I see your scholars dying and the ignorant among you not learning? Learn before knowledge is taken away, for the taking away of knowledge is the death of the scholars. And he encouraged the pursuit of knowledge by saying, 'Be a scholar or a learner, or a lover (of knowledge) or a follower. Do not be the fifth and be doomed.' "

Al-Hasan al-Basri said: "And the fifth is the innovator."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.362,0363 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Abu ad-Darda said: "Seek knowledge; if you cannot, then love its people; and if you do not love them, then do not hate them. Learn and teach, for the scholar and the learner are equal in reward. But you will never be a scholar until you are a learner, and you will never be a learner until you act on what you know. And he used to say: "You will not understand fiqh fully until you see the different interpretations of the verses of the Qur'an."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.363 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Mu'adh ibn Jabal encouraged the people to seek knowledge, and he said: "Seek knowledge, for learning for the sake of Allah is piety, seeking it is worship, discussing it is tasbeeh, pursuing it is jihad, and teaching it to one who does not know it is charity. Knowledge shows us what is halal and what is haram, and is the beacon of the people of Paradise. It brings comfort when one is lonely and shows the correct way to behave at times of ease and times of hardship. It is a weapon against one's enemies. Allah raises people (in status) because of it and makes them among the elite, leaders whose example is followed and whose opinion is adopted."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.366 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Mu'adh ibn Jabal said: "Knowledge and faith will abide until the Day of Resurrection. Whoever seeks them will find them in the Qur'an and Sunnah. Check everything you hear against the Qur'an, but do not check the Qur'an against anything that you hear." For Mu'adh, the Qur'an was the standard against which everything else was to be measured, but it was not to be measured against anything else. This was Mu'adh's method in teaching the Qur'an, which he adhered to until the last moment of his life. As he was dying, each time he regained consciousness and opened his eyes, he would say: "My Lord, let me die the way You want, for by Your Glory, You know that my heart loves You."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.366, 367 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Ubadah ibn as-Samit said: "This world is transient but present, and the Hereafter is a true promise. This world has its children and the Hereafter has its children, so be children of the Hereafter and do not be children of this world, for every mother is followed by her children."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.367 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar sayings:

"Learn Arabic, for it makes a person more logical and wise, and increases his chivalry."

"Learn grammar as you learn the Sunnahs and shares of inheritance."

"Learn I'rab al-Qur'an (syntax) as you learn to memorise it."

"The worst of writing is that which is elongated without being clear, and the worst of reading is to say things unclearly, and the best of writing is that which is clearest."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.371, 372 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Jizyah is a tax which is imposed on the individual from among the People of the Book who come under the protection of the Muslims. It has also been suggested that it is a poll tax levied on the kuffar as a form of humiliation or to make them feel subdued because Allah (Subhanahu wa Ta'ala - "The Exalted") says; Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger [Muhammad], and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth [i.e. Islam] among the people of the Scripture [Jews and Christians], until they pay the jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued. (Qur'an 9:26)

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.443 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Conditions of the jizyah contract and when it was to be paid.

From the era of the Rightly-Guided Caliphs, the fuqaha' (the Islamic Jurists) derived a number of such conditions:

* They should not refer to the Book of Allah with any criticism or distortion

* They should not mention the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) in terms of rejection or disbelief

* They should not mention the religion of Islam with any criticism or insult

* They should not have relations with any Muslim woman by way of zina or in the name of marriage

* They should not tempt a Muslim away from his religion or harm him financially or cause him annoyance because of his religion

* They should not help those who are at war against the Muslims

With regards to the time when it should be paid, the caliph 'Umar stipulated that jizyah should be paid at the end of the year, meaning the end of the agricultural year.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.452 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Kharaj has two meanings. In the general sense it refers to any income that comes to the bayt al-mal (Public treasury) of the Muslims from sources other than zakah. So it comes under the general heading of fay' (Spoils obtained without fighting as against war-booty) and includes the income from jizyah, (Tax paid by the unbeliever living in the Islamic state under its protection) 'ushoor (tithes) etc. And it has a specific meaning, which is the income from the lands that the Muslims had conquered by force, which the ruler had then left to earn an income for the Muslims in perpetuity, as 'Umar did with the land of as-Sawad in Iraq and Syria. Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali said: "Kharaj is not based on the value of the land or the income from the rent, rather it is not based on the land itself."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.1 p.453 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "The happiest of people is the one under whose care people are happy because of him, and the most miserable of people is the one under whose care people are miserable because of him. Beware of indulging in worldly pleasures or allowing your agents to do so, lest you become like an animal that sees some vegetation and starts grazing it, aiming to get fat, buts its death is in its fat.' "

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.40 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar addressed his governors and said: "Know that no forbearance is more beloved to Allah and more far-reaching than the forbearance and kindness of a leader, and nothing is more hatred by Allah and more far-reaching than the ignorance and foolishness of a leader."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.49 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar advice he gave to al-Ahnaf was the following, 'O' Ahnaf, one who laughs too much loses dignity; one who jokes too much loses respect; whoever does something a great deal becomes known for it; one who speaks a great deal makes mistakes; one who makes many mistakes loses his sense of dignity. Whoever loses his sense of dignity loses his fear of Allah, and whoever loses his fear of Allah is spiritually dead.' "

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.53 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

When news of the conquest of Syria came to 'Umar, he said to Abu Moosa: "Call your scribe to read this to the people in the mosque." Abu Moosa said, "He cannot enter the mosque." 'Umar asked, "Why not? Is he junub? (In a state of ritual impurity)" He said, "No, rather he is a Christian." 'Umar rebuked him and said, "Do not bring them near when Allah has cast them away; do not honour them when Allah has humiliated them; do not trust them when Allah has stated that they are treacherous. I have forbidden you to employ people of the Book, for they accept bribes."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.55 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

It was narrated that Usiqq said: "I was a Christian slave of 'Umar's, and he said, 'Become Muslim so that we may appoint you over some of the Muslims' affairs, because we cannot appoint over their affairs one who is not one of them.' He set me free as he was dying and said, 'Go wherever you want.' "

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.55 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Among the most important characteristic of 'Umar's governors were: strength of faith, Islamic knowledge, trust in Allah, exemplary conduct, sincerity, being qualified for the post, courage, chivalry, ascenticism, love of sacrifice, humility, acceptance of advice, forbearance, patience, ambition, resolve, strong willpower, justice, the ability to solve problems, and other such characteristic.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.55,56 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar IbnAl-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] would write to his governors: "The most important of your affairs in my view is prayer; whoever prays regularly has protected his faith, but whoever neglects it is bound to be more negligent in other issues of faith."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.67 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

'Umar said: "Do not put off today's work until tomorrow, lest work accumulate and you achieve nothing."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.79 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Durayd ibn Ka'b an-Nakha'i said to his people: "The Muslims are preparing for the fight, so be among the first of the Muslims to fight for Allah and in jihad tonight, for no one will be among the first tonight but his reward will be in accordance with how soon he joined the fight. Compete with them for martydom and be content with death, for this is the best way to avoid death if you want to live and if you do not, then the Hereafter is what you are seeking."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.195 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Al-Ash'ath ibn Qays said: "O' Arabs, these people (the Persians) should not be more daring in facing death and less concerned about worldly gains than you. Compete for wives and children and do not fear death, for this is the wish of the noble people and the means of martyrdom."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.195 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

La hawla wa la quwwata illa Billah - there is no power and no strength except with Allah

Salman said to him: "Islam is new and by Allah the rivers and seas have been subjugated to them as the land is subjugated. By the One in Whose hand is the soul of Salman, people will leave (Islam) in crowds just as they entered it in crowds."

What Salman [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] meant by saying, "Islam is new" is that it was still alive and its followers were strong in faith and proud of it. Islam was the focal point of their lives for which they lived and died; they called people to it and they defended it. But later on there would come generations who would inherit this religion and would not be Muslims by choice, and it would not be the focal point of their concerns and feelings, rather all their concern would be focused on worldly achievements and enjoying the pleasures of this world; Islam would become a secondary concern in their lives. At that point they would go out of Islam in crowds just as they entered it in crowds.

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.219, 220 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

Heraclius asked of his followers, who had been held captive by the Muslims, "Tell me about these people." He said, "I shall tell you so that it is as if you can see them. These are knights by day and monks by night. They do not take anything unlawfully, they do not enter a place except by giving the greeting of salam, and they destroy utterly anyone who fights them." Heraclius said, "If what you are telling me is true, then will take control of the land that is beneath my feet."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.301 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

On of the most famous sayings of 'Umar ibn al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] concerning favouritism is: "Whoever appoints a man because of favouritism or blood ties, and does not appoint him for any other reason, has betrayed Allah and His Messenger, and whoever appoints an evildoer knowing that he is an evildoer, is just like him."

('Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him] His Life & Times vol.2 p.350 Dr. 'Ali M. as-Sallabi)

1. Do not be misled by someone's reputation.

2. Do not judge a person only by his performance of Salah and Sawn; rather look into his truthfulness and wisdom.

3. One who keeps his secrets controls his affairs.

4. Fear the person whom you hate.

5. Prudent is he who can assess his actions.

6. Do not defer your work for tomorrow.

7. He who has no idea of evil can easily fall into its trap.

8. Judge a man's intelligence by the questions he asks.

9. Less concern for material well-being enables one to lead a free life.

10. It is easier not to indulge in sins than to repent.

11. Contentment and gratitude are two great virtues; you should not care which one you are getting.

12. Be grateful to him who points out your defects.

(Umar ibn al-Khattab (Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him") advice)

Tilth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
ummiefatima
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Location: Banu Kaburga/Social Policy/ all u can eat competitor
Re: 'Umar Ibn Al-Khattab [Radia-Allahu 'Anhu - "May Allah be pleased with him]

JazakAllahu khair for sharing the statements of Umar ibn al-Khattab with us.

The following for me is such a powerful statement. SubhanAllah.
Quote:
'Umar said: "Do not put off today's work until tomorrow, lest work accumulate and you achieve nothing."

Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah 's Apostle sal Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam said,
"Treat women nicely, for a woman is created from a rib, and the most curved portion of the rib is its upper portion, so, if you should try to straighten it, it will break, but if you leave it as it is, it will remain crooked. So treat women nicely."

ummiefatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM   #3
Abd As Samad
QShams Crew Member

JazaaakAllaahu khayr for sharing this with us

Very beneficial

I wish HOK would come to QShams (History of the
Khulafaa)

[font=verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif]www.almaghrib.org/london | www.qshams.org | www.facebook.com/qshams[/font]

....:::::Qabeelat AlShams:::::....

| TB |
LOG | BP | AHS | DL |
WS | VoS | EJ | TPS | EOAC | D2L
ChOC | PP | RF | ? | ?

Abd As Samad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
ummiefatima
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Location: Banu Kaburga/Social Policy/ all u can eat competitor

Quote:
I wish HOK would come to QShams (History of the
Khulafaa)
I am aware that this course in under revision...but surely Shams should be the first to host the revised HOK seminar?

Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah 's Apostle sal Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam said,
"Treat women nicely, for a woman is created from a rib, and the most curved portion of the rib is its upper portion, so, if you should try to straighten it, it will break, but if you leave it as it is, it will remain crooked. So treat women nicely."

ummiefatima is offline   Reply With Quote