Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Al-Shams

Old 12-12-2008, 04:17 AM   #1
Farhana

Question How do you do it?

Assalamu alaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuhu

To all those students of knowledge, and aspiring students of knowledge...how do you motivate yourself, plan and organise your studies?

Many of us are used to slotting in the odd bit of Islamic revision into our everyday schedules, but how do we take that to the next level? How do we find the time when time is short, or find the motivation when we have all the time in the world? How do we balance reading Qur'an, revising for exams, learning arabic and the like?

Alhumdulilah, many of us are taking our deen seriously and studying part-time (as well as our degrees/work/home responsibilities) either independently, or through evening and weekend classes (like almaghrib). But, have we really aquired the sabr, sincerity and skills to maintain this?

Please share your tips...

JazakAllah Khair
Wassalam
Farhana
Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 AM   #2
Saima G
Exam Coordinator, Qabeelat Mass

Lightbulb Re: How do you do it?

Assalamualaikum

Good question sis, this is something I often ask myself - how do you balance your time. So I asked someone of knowledge this question and they gave many tips, but said you should not use the word balance as it causes confusion and makes us comprise.

I was advised to say focussed and prioritise - what is most important to you? Strive for that and everything else comes second -therefore if its knowledge you're seeking dont let anyone or anything hold you back.

¬The¬Diam¸nd¬Qabeelat¬
Qabeelat al Mass
Saima G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:53 AM   #3
Brother Noor
QShams Crew Member

Re: How do you do it?

This question has been presented to me a few times.

And subhanAllah when i do get this question i honestly say I dont know, its the Huq/Qadr of Allah..

The last two years is when I have been really getting into my islamic studies, and the main point i can say is that, if you remember Allah and do things like attend these courses and study the deen for the sake of Allah and to better yourself infront of him then no dought that, gaining all this knowledge is my as it may be for others, my long term life goal.

For example i am in my last year of uni, and as many of you realise the most hectic, but at the same time if i didnt attend my courses and have my daily, weekly, monthly dosage of learning the deen, then i would have a big gap inside me and i cant imagine not going to my courses anymore.

THATS THE KEY POINT.. DO THINGS FOR THE SAKE OF ALLAH, AND EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY FALLS INTO PLACE.

and base your life and daily roles around your deen knowing that this is what is primary. Yes we need to work, and study uni degree get money blablabla, but remember that again if your doing it for the sake of Allah then all that will come natrually. Even i think at times wow how much money it is to attend these courses, £60, £77, £87 on the trot one after the other.. is a lot of money.. and subhanAllah Allah has allowed me to be blessed and for me to attend the courses.

Gaining knowledge isnt easy per say but its a lot easier then it used to be.
The examples Sh Waleed gave in torche bearers as sahaba used to travel for weeks just to verify one hadith and we just travel for an hour and the knowledge is there for us. Theres no reason for us not to take it.

So i agree with the above comment, if you want to seek the knowledge dont let anyone stop you.

I recently went to two al kauthar courses the real deal and the a-z of love and mercy and subhanAllah i felt the imaan rush.. what a boost.. i learnt sooo much its unbelievable.

so its always important to check your intention and if it isnt right then rectify it and change it WITH SINCERITY

Brother Noor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:45 AM   #4
Ejaz
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Wa Alaikum Assalamu Warahmatullahi Wa Barakatuh,

I wrote a little about this subject here:

http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthread.php?t=28553

Work your way up from the very basics, prioritise your study and don't let weekend courses be the be all and end all of your gaining of knowledge inshaAllah.
When things get too much, when you feel like complaining, when you ask yourself "Why me?", just remember, "And of the people are some who say, "We believe in Allah ," but when one [of them] is harmed (or put to trial) for [the cause of] Allah , they consider the trial of the people as [if it were] the very punishment of Allah!" [29:10].

So ask......how bad is it really?
Ejaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
ummiefatima
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Location: Banu Kaburga/Social Policy/ all u can eat competitor

How do I do it:

1) During my A-Levels I trained myself into sleeping only 4 hours everynight, the first 5 days were the worst, I looked like someone on drugs with had been punched in the eye several times over. Eventually my body gave in and got used to the timetable I used to spend the early hours revising like mad (and that was 6 months prior to my exams

So....my motivation is, if I could do it for my A-Levels, I dont have any excuse for the deen, be it memorising the Qur'an or the three principles

Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah 's Apostle sal Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam said,
"Treat women nicely, for a woman is created from a rib, and the most curved portion of the rib is its upper portion, so, if you should try to straighten it, it will break, but if you leave it as it is, it will remain crooked. So treat women nicely."

ummiefatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:40 PM   #6
Farhana

Does anyone use a timetable? How have you arranged it and is it successful?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
ummiefatima
Qabeelat Al-Shams

Location: Banu Kaburga/Social Policy/ all u can eat competitor

I have a timetable Alhamdulilah. The first one I created didnt work, it was way too unrealistic, by the time I worked around to my 4th draft, the timetable I had created appeared to be more managable Alhamdulilah, hence working out for me..but on a side note its improtant to put in time that allows you to make up for time lost during the week where you were unable to complete a task etc.

Narrated Abu Hurairah: Allah 's Apostle sal Allahu 'alayhi wa sallam said,
"Treat women nicely, for a woman is created from a rib, and the most curved portion of the rib is its upper portion, so, if you should try to straighten it, it will break, but if you leave it as it is, it will remain crooked. So treat women nicely."

ummiefatima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #8
Sara Kasmani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummiefatima
How do I do it:

1) During my A-Levels I trained myself into sleeping only 4 hours everynight, the first 5 days were the worst, I looked like someone on drugs with had been punched in the eye several times over. Eventually my body gave in and got used to the timetable I used to spend the early hours revising like mad (and that was 6 months prior to my exams

So....my motivation is, if I could do it for my A-Levels, I dont have any excuse for the deen, be it memorising the Qur'an or the three principles

so THATS how you did it mashaAllah...its the very opposite to me.

I'm the kind of person that learns through intensive study, and I am an audio learner....so I do my learning in the classroom and chill for the rest of the day - be it islamic or secular. In fact, for my gcse's...i walked into my exams having opened the books that morning. For the subjects I did actually study a little bit for, (ie, one day before the exam) i got a lower grade..Allahu alam.

I study after fajr though, if need, and need a ruitine.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #9
Alima
Ameerah, Qabeelat Fawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ummiefatima
How do I do it:

Wa 'alaykum asalaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,

Subhan'Allaah ummiefatima! Exactly the same... and yes 6 months. That's my motivation, subhan'Allaah if we can excel in secular studies where there is some benefit, then what about Islam, where ultimate success lies.

I definitely think we need to adopt discipline in our schedules and make it a routine rather than random bits of learning.

In secular studies, I have a day plan.

One day for each subject, it worked in my A-Levels and alHamdulillah I did well. I'm looking forward to after my exams on how I can do long term study rather than learning pickets of knowledge here and there.

A few tips.
  • Intention has to be pure... This will help greatly. If that means crying to Allaah in fear of riyaa, so be it.
  • Starting from the top and breaking down topics.
  • Having a routine.
  • Making it fun.
  • Having a partner and setting up tests and sessions where you can test the knowledge you have learnt.
  • Having a goal in mind. A future goal. What will you do with the knowledge learnt? What's the purpose of you doing it? Connecting it with a higher purpose and realising without knowledge your a tad bit lost.
Your an 'alim rather than and 'abid and the 'alim is one who benefits many and the 'abid benefits himself.

Hence,
A man came to Abu Darda (ra) while he was in Damascus. Abu Darda asked him, “What has brought you here my brother?” He replied, “A hadith which you relate from the Prophet (saw).” Abu Darda asked, “Have you come for some worldly need?” He replied, “No.” “You have come only to seek this hadith?” He replied, “Yes.” Abu Darda then said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah (saw) say:

“He who treads a path in search of knowledge, Allaah will make easy for him a path from the paths of Paradise. The angels lower their wings for the student of knowledge in approval of what he does. All the creatures in the heavens and earth, and even the fish in the depths of the water, seek forgiveness for the scholar. The superiority of the scholar over the worshipper is like the superiority of the full moon at night over the rest of the stars. Indeed the scholars are the heirs to the prophets. Surely, the prophets did not bequeath deenaars or dirhams. They left behind knowledge, so whoever takes it, has indeed acquired a huge fortune.” (Al-Musnad 5/196, Aboo Daawood 3/317, At-Tirmidhee 5/49, Ibn Maajah 1/81, Ad-Daarimee 1/98)

Subhan'Allaah, I'd say more but I better get back to revision...

May Allaah subhana wa ta'ala make you all the leaders of yoru households, communities and benefit others with your knowledge and hikma. Aameen!

Wa Allaahu ta'ala alem.

Btw. This is why can't wait to attend LoG, subhan'Allah QShams... You guys have to smash records... It's the best and most beneficial course EVER!

-EXCITED!!!-

Alima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
Farhana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejaz

Work your way up from the very basics, prioritise your study
I think this is really important. I had been tempted to attempt memorising hadith (because others in my class are doing it), but realised that memorising more Qur'an was my priority right now.

Likewise, if you have yet to read the Qur'an in your own language (which many people haven't, we learnt in a recent course), it may be better to prioritise that over memorising whole chapters.

I think we often get swayed by the knowledge that's available, rather than seek out the knowledge that we need. Why else are we in a situation where we can quote the names and dates of battles, but have yet to perfect our wudu?