Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Route 114: Sciences of the Qur'aan - QRN 101

Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Descriptions of the Qur'an

Bismillah

Shaykh Yasir asked us to make a thread on the forums about the descriptions of the Qur'an that he briefly went over today.

He also said that Qabeelat Tayybah is one of the qabaa'il that is great at doing this type of research --mashaAllah--and I just had to rep Nurayn and show that we can share research too!

Here are a few characteristics of the Qur'an that I've put together. Please add on : )
yet they do not gain benefit from it nor do they give benefit out to others.”

Imam Al-Awzaa'ee rahimahullah
Amatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Re: Descriptions of the Qur'an

Number One: Hakeem

Allah ta’ala says in Surah Yaseen ayah 2:

وَالْقُرْآنِ الْحَكِيمِ

By the Qur’an, full of wisdom! Allah ta’ala swears by the Qur’an in this verse, which is known as a ‘qasm’ in Arabic. In the Qur’an, Allah ta’ala swears by many things, showing the importance and honor of the object.

Allah ta’ala is honoring the Qur’an by taking a qasm by it, and when Allah ta’ala swears an oath, we know what that whatever comes after (jawaab qasm) is very important. And what is the characteristic (sifah) of the Qur’an mentioned? Al-Hakeem, full of wisdom. This Qur’an is not an ordinary book, but it is Hakeem. Hikmah means: wad’u shayyin fee muhalihi, to place something where it belongs. How is the Qur’an Hakeem? There are three meanings of Hakeem:

Haakim: The Qur’an is decisive and conclusive. The Qur’an has the final decision.

Dhoo Hikmah: Full of wisdom, in three ways. Firstly, wisdom in its content and rulings. They are according to the fitrah (human nature) and they are what mankind needs. The rulings in the Qur’an are according to the intellect–they just make sense. Secondly, wisdom in its order and arrangement. And thirdly, wisdom in its style. We can derive oceans of meaning just from a few words (remember Ni’mah?) There is so much wisdom in the Qur’an, that even if we tried, we would never be able to grasp all of it. That’s why there is never an end to studying the Qur’an.

Muhkim: The Qur’an is firm and perfect in strength and meanings. Nothing can change it or attack it.

So if the Qur’an is Hakeem, full of wisdom in so many ways, then it is worthy of being followed.

Last edited by Yusra; 02-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Number Two: Mubaarak

Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala says in Surah Saad verse 29,
كِتَابٌ أَنْزَلْنَاهُ إِلَيْكَ مُبَارَكٌ لِيَدَّبَّرُوا آيَاتِهِ وَلِيَتَذَكَّرَ أُولُو الأَلْبَاب

“(This is) a Mubaarak Book which We have sent down to you, that they may reflect upon its signs, and that men of understanding may remember.” (Saad: 38:29)

Mubaarak is that which is full of barakah. Mubaarak comes from the word barakah is that which lasts long and has the ability to increase. When something is Mubaarak, it includes three meanings:

It is a source of katheerul khayr, full of goodness. So Mubaarak is that which has a lot of good and is where unexpected and expected good is received.
Source of katheerul fawaa’id, a lot of benefits.
That which is thaabit, firm and has continuity. The blessings one receives from it is firm, it is not a temporary benefit but has permanence.
So how is the Qur’an Mubaarak? Let’s look at all three of these meanings:

the Qur’an is a source of katheerul khayr: it is a guidance and mercy for the believers, it gives the news of Jannah, it is a healing, it contains commandments that guide us, it is a light, it is an admonition and advice from Allah, and it is a source of reward (10 rewards per letter).

the Qur’an is a source of katheerul fawaa’id: it benefits in both this life and the next. In this dunya it is a furqaan for us-the criterion between right and wrong, it increases one in knowledge and it is a source of protection. In the aakhirah, it is a means to ascend to the highest levels of Jannah (hadeeth: iqra’ war taqi, read and ascend!), it an intercessor and shade for its companions, and it will accompany its readers in the grave.

the Qur’an contains firm, continuous and permanent blessings: the Rabb Who revealed it is Blessed, the Prophet it was revealed to is blessed (alayhi salaatu wa salaam), the month it was revealed in is blessed, the night it was sent down in is blessed, the city it was revealed in is blessed, those who store it in their heart are blessed, those who learn it are blessed and those who teach it are blessed.

Last edited by Yusra; 02-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #4
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Number Three: Qayyiman

Allah ta’ala begins suratul Kahf:

الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ الَّذِي أَنْزَلَ عَلَىٰ عَبْدِهِ الْكِتَابَ وَلَمْ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ عِوَجًا

قَيِّمًا لِيُنْذِرَ بَأْسًا شَدِيدًا مِنْ لَدُنْهُ وَيُبَشِّرَ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ الَّذِينَ يَعْمَلُونَ الصَّالِحَاتِ أَنَّ لَهُمْ أَجْرًا حَسَنًا

All the praises and thanks be to Allah, Who has sent down to His slave the Book (the Quran), and has not placed therein any crookedness. It is straight to give warning of a severe punishment from Him, and to give glad tidings to the believers, who work righteous deeds, that they shall have a fair reward. (18:1-2)

Allah ta’ala says about the Qur’an: <<وَلَمْ يَجْعَلْ لَهُ عِوَجًا>> , and He did not make therein any crookedness. The word for crookedness is عِوَجًا, ewajaa, it means crookedness or deviance in something. Ewaj is used for something that has been bent. There are two words from this root:

1st one is ‘ewaj, which is conceptual or intangible crookedness. It’s the type of crookedness that someone has in their character, when they are not behaving “straight” or “normal”.
2nd word is ‘awaj. And this means something that was straight, but became crooked. This type of crookedness is very easy and obvious to notice.

Allah azza wa jal uses the first word in the ayah, ‘ewaj, not ‘awaj. This means that the Qur’an has no crooked information, not even the slightest form. Subhan Allah, this first ayah is negating ANY fault whatsoever in the Qu’ran.

How is the Qur’an not crooked? There is no distortion amongst the verses, the words are just as Allah revealed them. The Qur’an has been preserved by writing, by memorization to the point that we even know HOW the Prophet sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam recited the Qur’an…each word, each letter, even each syllable! There is no deviation in the teachings or the information, there is no contradiction in it, and there is nothing in the Qur’an contrary to the truth.

The first ayah negates any fault, and this second ayah confirms what the Qur’an really is: Qayyiman, one completely straight. Qayyiman is one that IS straight and LEADS to that which is straight.

The Qur’an is Qayyiman in 3 ways:

It is Mustaqeem: One that is straight.
It is Mu’tadil: One that is balanced.
It stands firm for the benefit of people. Its commands are a source of benefit.

Last edited by Yusra; 02-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Salman al-Hindi
Qabeelat Tayybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusra
Bismillah

Shaykh Yasir asked us to make a thread on the forums about the descriptions of the Qur'an that he briefly went over today.

He also said that Qabeelat Tayybah is one of the qabaa'il that is great at doing this type of research --mashaAllah--and I just had to rep Nurayn and show that we can share research too!

Here are a few characteristics of the Qur'an that I've put together. Please add on : )
I would assume that if the shaykh asked Qabeelat Tayybah to do a project then it should have been Qabeelat Tayybah who should be given the opportunity to do it. But, MashaAllah if you have already initiated a thread, we shall acknowledge your effort and add to it.

4. Al-Kitaab:- Comes from the root word kataba - to write. The Qur'an desribes itself as al-Kitaab in Baqarah:2 and over in 70 other verses

Salman al-Hindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:58 AM   #6
Ify Okoye
Ameerah, Qabeelat Nurayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman al-Hindi
I would assume that if the shaykh asked Qabeelat Tayybah to do a project then it should have been Qabeelat Tayybah who should be given the opportunity to do it. But, MashaAllah if you have already initiated a thread, we shall acknowledge your effort and add to it.
Alhamdulillah, Yusra and I representin' Nurayn are on top of this. There was equal opportunity to begin the thread by all students taking the class and Nurayn is here and we beat you to it, don't hate, show us what you got

الحمد لله الذي بنعمته تتم الصالحات
•*¨¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ Umm al-Qaba'il ¸.•'´¯).•:*¨¨*•
Nurayn: The Lighthouse

Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should say good or remain silent. [Bukhari and Muslim]

Last edited by Muslim Apple; 02-07-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Ify Okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Hala
Qabeelat Majd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muslim Apple
Alhamdulillah, Yusra and I representin' Nurayn are on top of this. There was equal opportunity to begin this thread by all students taking the class and Nurayn is here and we beat you to it, don't hate, show us what you got
I agree mashaAllah!!

Do what you do best, Yusra : )

Looking forward to reading more.
Hala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #8
Ify Okoye
Ameerah, Qabeelat Nurayn

I'm paying attention, you want to compare notes? I'm sure mine are better than yours, not only from this class but from the first time I took Route 114.

Alhamdulillah, I deleted the other message because you beat me to it.

الحمد لله الذي بنعمته تتم الصالحات
•*¨¨*:•.(¯`'•.¸ Umm al-Qaba'il ¸.•'´¯).•:*¨¨*•
Nurayn: The Lighthouse

Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day should say good or remain silent. [Bukhari and Muslim]
Ify Okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

Sorry Tayybah for causing drama, I didn't think it was that serious : )

If it makes for any consolation, at least I'm not from Durbah right
(inside joke from the class ya durbah, don't hate me)

InshaAllah let's continue...Please number the descriptions so we can have a nicely organized thread inshaAllah.

Last edited by Yusra; 02-07-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
HalaTayybah
Qabeelat Tayybah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusra
Sorry Tayybah for causing drama, I didn't think it was that serious : )

If it makes for any consolation, at least I'm not from Durbah right
Only a true Tayybite could say that.

But yea, let's continue the thread inshallah.
(If I get one more Tayybah/Nurayn swipe.......I know where you too are sitting....)

Qabeelat Tayybah|Home of the Liwaa|2011
Alhamdulillah

HalaTayybah is offline   Reply With Quote