obstructing us once again. And the Quran, "respectfully"
returns to our shelves. Sure we feel guilty, but guilt is
not the greatest of motivators.

You need tried and proven routes to capture your
post-Ramadan Quran reading and memorization and review
goals.

Here is my favorite:
Re-memorize Quran you have trouble remembering, and recite
it every Salah chance you get for the entire day.

Step 1: Lets say you have 1 Juz' memorized (equivalent of
about 20 pages).
Step 2: Take 1/2 a page of those 20 pages
and RE-memorize it today.
Step 3: Recite that 1 page in your prayers all day long.

There are certain Surahs that you know like the back of
your hand, like Surat AlFatiha, Qul Huwal Allahu Ahad, for
instance. Why do you know them so well? Cause you read
them, like, ALL THE TIME in Salah.

If you use this technique I'm talking about here, these new
Quran pages can become just as strong, in sha Allah.

With best wishes to see you succeed at the highest level!
- Muhammad Alshareef
faisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
faisel
Ameer, Qabeelat Falaah

Re: Beautiful Naseehas!

Assalam alaikum,

InshAllah in order to strengthen our bond in our community, I humbly request my brothers and sisters to post any naseehas that you may deem important for us to increase our brotherhood/sisterhood. These can range from a hadith or a ayat that perhaps you have read, or heard from a lecture. Please try to write down the source, so others can reference the information.

InshAllah, down the road, we can have a folder entitled "dua of th week" in arabic, with the english translation and transliteration.

salaams

faisel

Old 03-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
bint.khizer
Qabeelat Nasr

wonderful thread,

will post later insha-Allah
Things aren’t always as they seem. Umm Musa was told to throw her son in the river, Yusuf was left for dead in a well, Maryam delivered a child alone, Ayesha was accused of a terrible sin, Yunus was swallowed by a whale, Ibrahim was thrown in the fire, Muhammad lost the love of his life Khadija, and Umm Salamah thought no one could be better than Abu Salamah.(Peace be upon them). Yet look at how it turned out for them in the end.. So don’t worry, Allah has a plan for you.

if Allah is with you, whom do you have to fear? if Allah is against you, what hope do you have?

| BOC | TSP | ROE | AHS | SS | EOC | TEJ | LOG | ROF | PP | FOL | DL |
[ ALHAMDULLILAH ]

bint.khizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Thirst4Ilm
Ummat Muhammad

وَذَكِّرْ فَإِنَّ الذِّكْرَى تَنفَعُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ
And remind (by preaching the Quran, O Muhammad Sallahu alaihi wa sallam) for verily, the reminding profits the believers.
(surah Adh-Dhariyat: 55)

Last edited by Thirst4Ilm; 03-10-2009 at 10:53 PM.
Thirst4Ilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Hafsa A
Qabeelat Falaah

Nice thread Mashallah. We should always share our knowledge with others so that we can benefit from each other and that will not only strengthen our bond in the community but our ummah inshallah.

One of my favorite hadiths is one showing the mercy and forgiveness of Allah and speaks about gathering for the sake of Allah. I have learned to always have a mind set when having a gethering, and try to think about the benefits i will recieve in the gathering. Always ask yourself- is this gathering for the sake of Allah or not, and even if it is not, always mention Allah and remember him.

As the hadith says:

Narrated by Abu Huraira (RA):

Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:

"There is a group of Allaah's angels who move about the streets searching for the people who mention Allaah (swt). When they find a group doing that, they call each other, "Here is what you are looking for." Then they cover that group with their wings right up to the sky.

When these angels return to the heavens, their Lord asks them, although He knows the answer, "What were My Servants saying?"

They say, "They were describing Your holiness and greatness, and were busy praising and glorifying You."

Allaah (swt) then asks, "Have they seen Me?" The angels reply, "By Allaah! They have not seen You."

Allaah (swt) says, "What would they have done if they could see me?" The angels reply, "They would then be even more busy in their worship, glorification, and praise."

Then Allaah (swt) asks, "What did they want from Me?" The angels reply, "They asked You for Jannah (Heaven)."

Allaah (swt) says, "Have they seen it?" They answer, "No, by You! They have not seen it."

Allah (swt) says, "What would they have done if they had seen it?" The angels answer, "Had they seen it, they would desire it more eagerly, and would work harder to deserve it."

Then Allaah (swt) asks, "From what thing did they want Me to protect them?" The angels answer, "They wanted to be protected from Hell."

Allaah (swt) says, "Have they seen it?" They answer, "No, by You! They have not seen it."

Allaah (swt) says, "What would they have done if they had seen it?" The angels answer, "Had they seen it, they would have feared it and run from it even more."

Then Allaah (swt) says, "Be My witnesses: I have forgiven them!"

One of the angels then says, "But among them was a person who is not one of them. He had simply come for something he needed."

Allaah (swt) says, "I have forgiven him too, just because he happened to sit with them. Anyone who sits with those people will not be a loser."

(Sahih Bukhari Volume 8:417)

Another personal favorite of mine concerning seeking knowledge in Islam:

The Messenger of Allah (Sallallaahu ‘alaihi wasallam) said,

“When Allah wishes good for someone, He bestows upon him the understanding of Deen.”

[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

The more we undestand our Deen, the more beautiful it becomes.

VALLEY OF THE SEEKERS

WITH OUR BELOVED SHEIKH RIAD OURZAZI

.·:*´¨`*:·.* Qabeelat Falaah*.·:*´¨`*:·.

* The sweetness of faith lies in the fruits of knowledge *

وَقُل رَّبِّ زِدۡنِى عِلۡمً۬ا

“And say: "My Lord! Increase me in knowledge” Quran (20:114)
Hafsa A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
faisel
Ameer, Qabeelat Falaah

I got this from the Ansar folder, its a great reminder, we are never too old to learn.

An Interview with Umm Saalih, A Grandmother Who Completed Memorizing the Qur'an

As Read by Dr. Saleh as Saleh

Al-Hamdulillaah (All-Praise is due to Allah), the One Who said (what means): "And in truth We have made the Qur'aan easy to remember; but is there any that remembers?" Surah 54: 32

Many all over the world memorize the Qur'aan, and it is not strange to see the youth memorizing the Noble Qur'aan and an early age. Al-Hamdulillaah, the One who made the Qur'aan easy for remembrance, had made it easy for Umm Saalih age 82. In an interview with Umm Saalih, she was asked the following questions:

Q1: "What was the reason that drove you to memorize the Qur'aan after so many years?"

She said, "I always hoped to memorize the Qur'aan from the time I was young. My father always used to invoke Allaah for me to become one of the memorizers of the Qur'aan, like himself and like the elder brothers of my family who memorized it. So I memorized in the beginning about three parts and then after I completed the age of thirteen, I got married and became busy with the household and the children. After I had seven children, my husband died. They (the children) were all young so I took the time to raise them and educate them, and then after they grew up and got married, I had more time for myself. Therefore, the first thing I directed myself to focus upon was the Qur'aan.

Q2: "Tell us about your journey with the Noble Qur'aan."

She said, "My younger daughter was going to high school and she was the closest of my children to me and the most beloved, because she stayed with me after her older sisters got married and got busy with their lives, and because she was a quiet girl, upright, loving, and good. In addition, she was interested in learning the Noble Qur'aan, and her teachers encouraged her.

Furthermore, she was very enthusiastic and always told me of many women who were driven by this great motivation to memorize the Qur'aan, and this is where I started."

Q3: "Tell me about your way of memorization."

She said, "We assigned ten verses (meaning her and her daughter who was going to high school). So each day after Asr, we used to sit together. She reads and I repeat after her three times. Then she explains the meaning to me, and after a while, she repeats that three times. On the next morning, she repeats them to me before she goes to school.

She recorded also the recitations of Ash Shaykh al Husary, Rahimuhullaah, repeating each verse three times and thus I continued to listen most of the time. Therefore, the next day we would go to the next ten verses if my memorization was good. Otherwise, we would postpone taking additional verses until the day after. Moreover, we assigned the day of Friday to review the memorizations of the entire week. And this was the journey from the beginning."

Then she said, "Over four years and a half, I memorized twelve juz" according to the way I described to you. Then this young daughter got married. When her husband knew of our task concerning the memorization, he rented a house close to me, close to my house, so that he could allow the continuation of the memorization. In addition, he, May Allah reward him used to encourage us and sometimes sit with us listening, explaining and teaching.

Then after three years of her marriage, my daughter got busy with the children and the household and our schedule was interrupted, but that did not make her give up. To the contrary, she sensed that my eagerness for the memorization was still established so she looked for a special good teacher to continue the journey under her supervision. So, I completed the memorization by the success of Allaah and my daughter is still working to finish the memorization of the Glorious Qur'aan. She has a little left, In Shaa Allaah Ta'aala.

Q4: "This motivation of yours, did it have an effect on other women around you?"

She said, "It really had a good strong effect. My daughters and stepdaughters were all encouraged and worked on learning and teaching the Qur'aan to their children and learning it themselves.

Q5: "After finishing the Noble Qur'aan, don't you think about working on memorizing hadith?"

She said, "Now I have memorized ninety hadith and In Shaa Allaah I will continue the journey. I depend, in my memorization, upon the tapes and upon the Qur'aan radio station. At the end of each week, my daughter comes and checks for me the memorization of three hadith, and I am trying now to memorize more.

Q6: "Over this period of memorization of the Qur'aan, did your life change? Was it affected in one way or another?"

She said, "Yes, I went through a major change and I tried always, all praise is due to Allaah, to obey Allaah before I started the memorization. However, after I started the task of memorization, I began to feel a self-comfort, a great self-comfort and all worries began to move away from me. I even reached the stage of freeing myself from all these excessive worries concerning fearing for the children and their affairs, and my morale was boosted.

I had a noble objective to work for and this is a great Ni'mah (Favor) from Allaah . upon me, since we know that some women, when they get old and they do not have a husband, and their children got married, may be destroyed by the empty time, thoughts, worries, and so forth. But, AlHamdulillaah, I didn't go through this and I made myself busy with a great task and a great objective.

Q7: "Didn't you think at one point, to join one of the circles focusing on teaching the Noble Qur'aan?"

The answer was, "Yes, some of the women suggested this to me, but I am a woman who got used to staying at home, and I don't like to go out everyday, and Al Hamdulillaah, my daughter sufficed me from all difficulty and I was so happy while I was learning from her. My daughter had set an example in goodness and righteousness which we rarely find in our days.

She started this task and journey with me while she was an adolescent and this is a critical age many people complain of. She used to pressure herself so that she could have spare time to teach me, and she used to teach me with kindness and wisdom. Her husband was a good help to her and he exerted a lot of effort. I ask Allaah . to give them success and to bring their children up on uprightness."

Q8: "What do you say to a woman of your age who wishes to learn and memorize the Qur'aan yet she is worried about it and feeling unable to?"

She said, "I say to her there their shall be no despair with the firm, sincere and truthful determination. Begin with sincerity, firm determination and dependence on Allaah at each time. And remember that at this age you should have the time for yourself. However, do not use your time to only go out or to sleep and so forth. Rather, busy yourself with righteous work.

Q9: "Now what would you say to a woman who is still young? What would you advise her?" She, may Allaah preserve her, said: "Preserve Allaah and He will preserve you. Make use of the favor of Allaah bestowed upon you from health and ways and means of comfort. Use that to memorize the Book of Allaah. This is the light which enlivens your heart, your life and your grave after you die.

And if you have a mother then exert the effort to teach her, and there is no better favor upon a mother than one of her righteous children aiding her to be close to Allaah."

Presented on the 1st of Muharram 1426, Feb 10th 2005. Originally published in Ad-Da'wah Magazine, no.1552, 17th of Rabee' Al-Awwal 1417,corresponding to Aug 1, 1996.

Mohamed Omar
Makkah, Saudi Arabia

EDMONTON, ALBERTA!

قبيلة الفلاح
Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
Shabab Al-Salim
Ummat Muhammad

SubhanALLAH, ALLAHU AKBAR!

JazakALLAH khair for sharing that Br. Faisel.

This is From a weekly Reminder i get from Sh. Muhammad Al Shareef.

[Hadith]Allah's Messenger, sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam, said, "Allah isat the assistance of a person so long as that person is at theassistance of their brother."

[Lessons from this Hadith] Do you know someone who is moving this weekend? All thefurniture, tables, suitcases. How much assistance do they needat a time like this? How would you like it if Allah was at yourassistance right now? We would all love it. So let's findsuccess by assisting others.
Shabab Al-Salim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
faisel
Ameer, Qabeelat Falaah

IS YOUR HOME AN ISLAMIC HOME?

"And Allah has made for you in your homes a place of rest..."[An-Nahl:80]
This may seem like an unusual question and your automatic response may be "Why, of course my home is an Islamic Home!! My family is Muslim and that makes our home a Muslim one!!"
Go through this short checklist to determine if your response should really be in the affirmative.

I Have Chosen a Good Spouse
There are several ahadeeth that highlight the importance of choosing a righteous and pious spouse. The wisdom of this is obvious: a pious spouse is more likely to bring happiness and contentment to the other spouse and the couple together will be more able to build a righteous family and home life. This is the foundation of the home.

I Help Guide My Spouse
This begins with each spouse fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of their roles and treating each other with kindness and compassion.

It then goes beyond this to include guidance in other spiritual matters such as striving to strengthen imaan; paying attention to worship and correcting it when needed; encouraging the reading of Qur'an, praying at night, giving charity, and reading books on Islam; helping to choose pious friends; enjoining goodness and forbidding evil. Emaan is something that may increase or decrease so it is necessary to continually focus on increasing our own and that of our spouse.

Our Home is a Place for Remembrance of Allah
Remembrance can be in many forms: with the heart, with the tongue, through prayer, recitation of Qur'an, memorizing adhkaar and using them, discussing Islamic issues, or reading Islamic material. These are things that should occur on a consistent basis so that the angels will come to the home and bring Allah's blessings. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "The example of a home in which Allah is remembered and the example of a home in which Allah is not remembered, is like comparing the living and the dead." (Muslim).

Our Home is a Place of Worship
This means that salah is established within the home at its required time and that members of the family pray in congregation when several are present. The family may also designate a specific area for prayer and maintain its uniqueness and cleanliness. For women, it is better to pray each prayer within the home. For men, it is recommended to pray voluntary prayers at home after having prayed obligatory prayers in the masjid. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "The voluntary prayer in the home is better than the voluntary prayer with the people. It is like the obligatory prayer of the man in congregation being better than praying the obligatory by himself." (Sahih al-Jaami). This is to ensure that homes are made places of worship just as the masajids.

We Regularly read Surat Al-Baqarah and Ayatul Kursi to Keep Satan Away
The Messenger of Allah, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "Recite Surat Al-Baqarah in your houses, for the Satan does not enter a house in which Surat Al-Baqarah is recited." (Sahih al-Jaami). He also said: "When you go to your bed, recite Ayatul Kursi: 'Allah! There is no god but Him, the Ever-Living, the One Who Sustains and Protects all that exists', to the end, for then there will remain over you a guardian from Allah, and Satan will not come near you until morning." (Bukhari).

Teaching and Learning are Ongoing Activities in Our Home
This is primarily the responsibility of the head of die household who must ensure that he is guiding his family to the correct path, enjoining them to do good, and forbidding them from evil. Attaining knowledge is incumbent upon all members of the family and is the basis upon which Emaan will flourish, A study circle should be established in the home that covers the various areas in Islam and from which all family members will benefit. Children should especially be encouraged to participate since this will establish a pattern for them that will be carried throughout their lifetimes.

We Have an Islamic Library in Our Home
This may include such things as books, cassette tapes, and CDs. It is important to choose accurate and reliable material that will benefit the members of the family. There should be a variety of materials to cover all age levels and language needs of those in the home. Arabic material is definitely a must since everyone in the family should either know or be learning to read the language of the Qur'an. Books should cover a variety of topics, be properly organized, and be easily accessible. Audiotapes and CDs may include Qur'an recitation, lectures, khutbahs, tapes for children containing supplications, reminders of Islamic manners, and nasheeds (religious songs with no musical instruments). Family members should encourage one another to use these materials on a regular basis, and should be shared with other Muslim families who may be in need of them.

We Try to Have Morals and Manners Like Prophet Muhammad
The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said; "When Allah wills some good towards the people of a household. He introduces kindness among them." (Ahmad, Sahih al-Jaami). He also said: "Allah loves kindness and rewards it in such a way the He docs not reward for harshness or for anything else." (Muslim). There are many examples of the Prophet's kindness and good treatment toward his family that we should try to emulate. He was affectionate and playful with his wives and children and would help with household chores to case the burden for his wives. Following his example will bring tranquility to the home and help to truly make it an abode of rest.

We Know the Islamic Rulings That Pertain to Houses
Such as guarding the secrets of the home, seeking permission to enter, not looking into other people's homes, not allowing children to enter the parent's bedroom during certain times of the day, and not staying alone overnight. This last one is interesting to consider since some husbands travel for their business or work. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhi wasallam, actually discouraged this. Ibn Umar reported that the Prophet forbade being alone and said that a man should not stay overnight alone or travel alone (Ahmad). Not only will he be alone, but his wife and children are likely to be left alone in the home without any protection or companionship.

We Invite Righteous and Knowledgeable People to Our Home
"My Lord! Forgive me, and my parents, and him who enters my home as a believer, and all the believing men and women." [71:28]. Righteous people who enter your home will bring many benefits due to their presence and conversations with them. They are more likely to discuss useful topics and may be excellent sources of information and knowledge. We should always make du'aa that Allah will bless us with righteous friends since they can have such positive effects on us. The Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wasallam, said: "Keep company with a believer only, and let your food be eaten only by the righteous." (Abu Dawud, Tirmithi).

There are No Evils Within Our Home
Television (except possibly for educational programs) and unlawful music are not allowed in the house; pictures on the wall do not contain animate beings; there are no statues or anything that resembles statues; dogs are not present in the house; smoking is not allowed; decorations are kept simple to avoid excessiveness; the telephone is used for beneficial purposes and not harmful ones (such as gossiping or backbiting); when people come to visit, the men and women sit separately. The effects of these evils on the sanctity of the home should be obvious. For example, the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said: "Angels do not enter a house which has either a dog or a picture in it." (Bukhari).

The Physical Aspects of the Home are Conducive to Fulfilling Religious Obligations
It is best for the home to be close to a mosque so that it will be easier for men to attend the prayers in congregation and for all family members to visit the mosque for lectures, study groups, and social gatherings. It is also advisable to find an area where other Muslims live to obtain the benefits of community. One should definitely be careful about close neighbors and avoid those who are obviously immoral. When choosing a house, consideration should be made regarding the availability of separate sitting areas for men and women. The house should be spacious and fulfil safety and health requirements.

Al JUMUAH VOL 11 ISSUE 8

EDMONTON, ALBERTA!

قبيلة الفلاح
Old 03-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
faisel
Ameer, Qabeelat Falaah

Goodbye My Beloved
Muhammad ash-Shareef

In Bukhari and Muslim, Usaamah ibn Zayd narrated : A woman sent to the Prophet that her son was dying and that he should come to visit her.

The Prophet sent back a message to her. In it he said, "To Allah belongs whatever he takes, and to Him belongs what He gives. Everything to Him has a decreed life, so be patient and seek the Reward with Allah.

She sent back with an oath that he must come in person to visit her. So Allah's Messenger stood and with him was Sa'd ibn Ubaadah, Mu'aadh ibn Jabal, Ubayy ibn Ka'b, and Zayd ibn Thabit, as well as others.

At her home, the young boy was given to the Prophet, his breathing faltering. The eyes of the Prophet welled with tears.

Seeing the Prophet crying, Sa'd said to him, "What is this O Messenger of Allah?"

Rasul Allah replied, "This is mercy which Allah has placed in the hearts of His servants. And indeed it is to only the merciful of His servants that Allah gives mercy."

Dear brothers and sisters, this week has been a very trying week for us. Our brothers, and specifically our sisters, were tested with the death of sister Maryam, her daughter Muslimah and her daughter AlNisaa, all in one car accident. May Allah ta'ala increase their father's reward, may Allah ta'ala perfect his patience, and may He forgive all three of them. Ameen.

When death hits so closely to home, to ones so young, many questions arise, especially from the young friends of Muslimah and AlNisaa. For this reason we would like to speak today about this topic: How do we say goodbye?

Ibn Al-Qayyim spoke in his book Zaad al-Ma'aad about the blessed guidance of the Prophet at times of death. He writes:

It was from the blessed guidance of Rasul Allah to convey his condolences to the family of the deceased. It was not from his blessed guidance to gather people to give condolences, nor was it his blessed guidance to recite Qur'an - neither at the grave nor away from the gravesite. All of this is was invented into the deen and is shunned. From his blessed guidance is his tranquility and acceptance of Allah's decree, thanking Allah and holding back from saying things unbefitting. He - sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam - disowned himself from those that rip their clothes due to the calamity, or raise their voices in a wail, or those that shave their head because of the situation.

Where do our North American communities normally learn about the concept of love? For the answer, all you need to do is look over the top music charts to find out.

I searched the billboard charts to pick up some names as example. I found: "Love don't cost a thing", "What's Luv", "He loves you not", as well as others. These are just the titles, not to speak of the content of the other songs, in addition to the TV shows, movies and everything in-between.

America is bombarding us with teachings of love, right? But on the flip side, every 7 minutes in this country, someone commits suicide. And every minute, someone tries. There was actually a guy who tried to capitalize on all these people who were incompetent in killing themselves. He called his book: The Final exit ~ a how-to book on killing yourself successfully. Subhan Allah, it was a national best seller.

Now I ask, when was the last time you heard an Islamic Halaqah about the concept of Love in Islam. Not too recently, I'm sure. Thus, we can safely say that Allah and His Messenger do not dictate to us many of the concepts of love that we harbor in our minds.

Allah ta'ala says: [Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other…] 43/67

We hear in the music and movies and sitcoms that 'our hearts will live forever' with the deceased. Dear brothers and sisters, that is wrong. Read the following verse:

[Every time a nation enters, it will curse its sister until, when they have all overtaken one another therein, the last of them (the followers) will say about the first of them (the leaders), "Our Lord, they have misled us, so give them a double punishment of the fire." He will say, "For each is double, but you do not know." / … Indeed those who deny Our verses and are arrogant toward them - the gates of heaven will not be opened for them, nor will they enter Paradise until a camel enters into the eye of a needle (i.e. never). And thus do We pay back the criminals.] Surah A'raaf 7/38,40

If a friendship was ever made for other then the sake of Allah, then that friendship ends at death. There is no 'heart that lives on after death'.

But If you've ever loved someone because they said Laa ilaaha illa Allah, Muhammadur Rasul Allah, then I have good news for you: Your friendship will not end at death! It will never end at death. Completing the above verse: Allah ta'ala says: [Close friends, that Day, will be enemies to each other, except for the righteous!] 43/67

And on the Day of Judgement, of the seven types of people who will find shade from the horrific heat will be two people who loved one another only for the sake of Allah. Imagine that, in the hardest time of your life, if you've loved someone for the sake of Allah, they will be saved hand-in-hand with you.

Do all good things come to an end? Good question. Summers come to an end, ice creams come to an end, and interesting Khutbahs come to an end. So what's the answer?

Allah ta'ala says: [Whatever you have will end, but what Allah has is lasting. And We surely give those who were patient their reward according to the best of what they used to do.] Surah Nahl 16/96

Before the Hijrah from Makkah, there was a famous Qureishi poet by the name of Labeed bin Rabee'ah. In his company, one day, sat the great companion of the Prophet: Uthmaan ibn Madh'oon - radi Allaahu 'anhu.

Labeed recited a verse of poetry: [Indeed everything other then Allah is falsehood…]

Uthmaan ibn Madh'oon replied, "You have said the truth."

Labeed continued: [ … And every enjoyment, without doubt, will die.]

"You have lied!" said Uthmaan ibn Madh'oon. "The enjoyment of paradise shall never end."

This infuriated the group and one of the ignorant amongst them stood up and slapped Uthmaan ibn Madh'oon in the face, blackening his eye.

There are things that help us in times of sadness:

One: During times of sadness, Allah wants us to come back and reflect upon the Qur'an. That is what He revealed it for - contemplation. In it, the believer will find tranquility for his or her heart.

Two: Whatever happens, when someone is patient and says the dua that the Prophet - sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam - taught us, that person will be blessed with something better.

The Dua is as follows:

"Inna lillaahi wa inna Ilayhi raaji'oon. Allaahumma 'jurnee fee museebatee, wakhluf lee khayrun minh."

Umm Salamah - radi Allaahu 'anha - the narrator of this dua, loved her husband very much. When he died, she states, "I was firm to say the dua, but I thought to myself, how could I get anything better then Abu Salamah? Allah answered my dua and I married the Messenger of Allah! And he is better then Abu Salamah."

May Allah ta'ala make us brothers all good husbands like Rasul Allah - sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam - and Abu Salamah.

And for those who have had a child die, take glad tidings in the following Hadith:

Abu Moosa al-Ash'aree - radi Allaahu 'anhu - narrates: Allah's Messenger said, "If the child of a servant (of Allah) dies, Allah questions the angels, 'Have you taken the life of my servant's child?'

"The angels reply, 'Yes.'

"Allah then asks them, 'Have you taken the fruit of his heart?'

"The angels reply, 'Yes.'

"Then Allah asks them, 'What did my servant say?'

"They reply, 'He praised you and refrained (from saying anything unbefitting)'

"At that Allah will say, 'Build a home for my slave in Jannah and call it Bayt-ul-Hamd (The Home of Thankfulness).'"

Umar - radi Allaahu 'anhu - said, "We found the best of our provision to be patience."

Part II: Towards Patience

The term Al-Qadaa' wal Qadr is so easily inadequately translated. Some have translated it as pre-destiny, decree, etc.

Once, however, I was passing through a bookstore in Madinah and there I found a book on this topic. The translator had cleverly translated the term Qadr as: Pre-Recording.

So I thought to myself, for our TV culture, now there is a translation we can all understand. Everything that happens to us is pre-recorded with Allah ta'ala, nothing can happen except by his Will and knowledge.

When a death befalls someone, it is permissible to cry (without wailing) and to feel sadness in the heart.

When the son of Rasul Allah - sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam - was dying, he held his small body in his hand and began crying. The Sahaabah who saw him crying inquired, "What are these tears, O Messenger of Allah."

He replied, "The eye cries, and the heart is saddened, but we do not say anything other then that which is pleasing to our Lord, and we, indeed O Ibraheem, are saddened by our separation from you."

However, we have picked up things from the culture of the non-Muslims, things that we do not find in the tradition dictated to us by the Lord of the worlds. For example:

a. To wear black specifically to honor the deceased.

b. Institutionalizing the placing of flowers at the site of the grave.

c. To lower a national flag in honor of the deceased.

d. There is no mention of a 'moment-of-silence' in our Deen.

e. There is no mention of Qur'an Khanis (gathering people to recite Qur'an for the deceased) in the Sunnah of Muhammad - sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam. All goodness is in following the guidance of our Prophet.

f. There is no mention of gathering people 40 days after the death to recite Qur'an for the deceased.

g. There is no mention of having an annual gathering where guests recite the Qur'an for the deceased.

h. There is no mention in the Sunnah of collectively reciting surat al-Fatiha for the deceased.

So then what should we do?

1. We should hasten to pay off the debts of the deceased

2. We should give our condolences to the family of the deceased. This could be done in the Masjid, at the gravesite, at their homes, etc. But excessively long gatherings at the deceased's home should not be encouraged.

3. We should make food for the family of the deceased and not burden them with having to make food for the entire community.

4. We should all attend the funeral prayer and, for men, follow the funeral to the gravesite. The women should not follow, as Umm Salamah said, "We were forbidden (by the Prophet) from following the funeral processions."

5. We may give Sadaqah on behalf of the deceased, and we may perform Hajj on their behalf.

6. And above all, we should make Dua, and lots of it, for the deceased. This is how the Prophet - sal Allaahu alayhi wa sallam - taught us, as in the funeral prayer and the hadith of the servants actions being cut off except from three things - he mentioned, "… a pious child that makes dua for (the deceased)."

In conclusion, I would like to pass on the following good news to our beloved brother who lost his wife and two daughters.

Narrated Abu Hurayrah - radi Allaahu 'anhu: Allah's Messenger said to a group of Ansari women, "There is no woman amongst you who has three children of hers die, yet she is patient, hoping for the reward from Allah, except that she shall enter Jannah."

So a woman amongst them asked, "What about two children O Messenger of Allah?"

He replied, "Even two."

May Allah ta'ala increase our brother's reward, may Allah ta'ala perfect his patience, and may Allah forgive his family. Ameen.

EDMONTON, ALBERTA!

قبيلة الفلاح
Old 03-30-2009, 08:41 PM   #10
faisel
Ameer, Qabeelat Falaah

Ten Commandments for Peace of Mind
1. Do Not Interfere In Others' Business Unless Asked
Most of us create our own problems by interfering too often in others' affairs. We do so because somehow we have convinced ourselves that our way is the best way, our logic is the perfect logic and those who do not conform to our thinking must be criticized and steered to the right direction, our direction.

This thinking denies the existence of individuality and consequently the existence of Allah. Allah has created each one of us in a unique way. No two human beings can think or act in exactly the same way.
All men or women act the way they do because God within them prompts them that way. There is God to look after everything. Why are you bothered? Mind your own business and you will keep your peace.

2. Forgive And Forget
This is the most powerful aid to peace of mind. We often develop ill feelings inside our heart for the person who insults us or harms us. We nurture grievances. This, in turn, results in loss of sleep, development of stomach ulcers, and high blood pressure. This insult or injury was done once, but nourishing of grievance goes on forever by constantly remembering it. Get over this bad habit. Believe in the justice of Allah and the doctrine of Destiny. Let Him judge the act of the one who insulted you. Life is too short to waste in such trifles. Forgive, Forget, and march on. Love flourishes in giving and forgiving.

3. Do Not Crave For Recognition
This world is full of selfish people. They seldom praise anybody without selfish motives. They may praise you today because you are in power, but no sooner than you are powerless; they will forget your achievement and will start finding faults in you. Why do you wish to kill yourself in striving for their recognition? Their recognition is not worth the aggravation. Do your duties ethically and sincerely and leave the rest to Allah, which is Tawakkal.

4. Do Not Be Jealous
We all have experienced how jealousy can disturb our peace of mind. You know that you work harder than your colleagues in the office, but sometimes they get promotions; you do not. You started a business several years ago, but you are not as successful as your neighbor whose business is only one year old. There are several examples like these in everyday life. Should you be jealous? No. Remember everybody's life is shaped by his or her previous Destiny. If you are predestined to be Rich, nothing in the world can stop you. If you are not so destined, no one can help you either. Nothing will be gained by blaming others for your misfortune. Jealousy will not get you anywhere; it will only take away your peace of mind.

5. Change Yourself According To the Environment

If you try to change the environment single-handedly, the chances are you will fail. Instead, change yourself to suit your environment. As you do this, even the environment, which has been unfriendly to you, will mysteriously change and seem congenial and harmonious.

6. Endure What Cannot Be Cured
This is the best way to turn a disadvantage into an advantage.
Every day we face numerous inconveniences, ailments, irritations, and accidents that are beyond our control. If we cannot control them or change them, we must learn to put up with these things. We must learn to endure them cheerfully, thinking, "Allah wills it so, so be it." Allah's plans are beyond our comprehension. Believe in it and you will gain in terms of patience, inner strength and will power.

7. Do Not Bite Off More Than You Can Chew
This maxim needs to be remembered constantly. We often tend to take more responsibilities than we are capable of carrying out. This is done to satisfy our ego. Know your limitations. Why take on additional loads that may create more worries? You cannot gain peace of mind by expanding your external activities. Reduce your material engagements and spend time in prayers, introspection and meditation. This will reduce those thoughts in your mind that make you restless. Uncluttered mind will produce greater peace of mind.

8. Meditate Regularly

Meditation calms the mind and gets rid of disturbing thoughts. This is the highest state of peace of mind. Try and experience it yourself. If you meditate earnestly for half an hour everyday, your mind will tend to become peaceful during the remaining twenty-three and half-hours. Your mind will not be easily disturbed as it was before. You would benefit by gradually increasing the period of daily mediation. You may think that this will interfere with your daily work. On the contrary, this will increase your efficiency and you will be able to produce better results in less time.

9. Never Leave the Mind Vacant

An empty mind is the devil's workshop. All evil actions start in the vacant mind. Keep your mind occupied in something positive, something worthwhile. Actively follow a hobby. Do something that holds your interest. You must decide what you value more: money or peace of mind. Your hobby, like social and charitable work , may not always earn you more money, but you will have a sense of fulfillment and achievement. Even when you are resting physically, occupy yourself in healthy reading or mental reciting of Allah's name.

10. Do Not Procrastinate and Never Regret

Do not waste time in protracted wondering " Should I or shouldn't I?" Days, weeks, months, and years may be wasted in that futile mental debating. You can never plan enough because you can never anticipate all future happenings. Always remember, Allah has His own plan, too for you. Value you time and do the things that need to be done. It does not matter if you fail the first time. You can learn from your mistakes and succeed the next time.

Sitting back and worrying will lead to nothing. Learn from your mistakes, but do not brood over the past. DO NOT REGRET. Whatever happened was destined to happen only that way. Take it as the Will of Allah. You do not have the power to alter the course of Allah's Will. Why cry over spilt milk? *

"May Allah grant you the serenity to accept what you cannot change?
Courage to change what you can, And the wisdom to understand the difference".

"Verily, with hardship, there is relief" (Quran 94:6)
Huda Hasan
Wassalam,
Al Huda Team Canada
ML/38 Aug 15/07 2nd Sha'ban 1428 H

www.alhudainstitute.ca
www.alhudapk.com

www.farhathashmi.com

www.qurantalks.blogspot.com

EDMONTON, ALBERTA!

قبيلة الفلاح