Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Breach of Covenant: Tafseer Surat AlBaqarah - QRN 203

Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
Ahmed Ibn Hassan
Ummat Muhammad

Alif Laam Meem"?

Bismillaah

I just had a quick question insha'allaah about the very first ayaah of Al Baqaraah.

Alhumduliha we know it's one of the many miracles (muji'ez) of the quran, and it's also a challenge to mankind in many ways. However, i was discussing this very issue to an elderly brother who is my tafsir teacher. As he was explaining it in detail one thing he mentioned that i never knew was, when Issa (as) comes back on earth we will have the opportunity to ask him what Alif laam meem' means.Then i sat their looked across the room and stared at my friend with that interesting look..

We know that the sahabaah never had asked the rasoolullaah (sallahu alayhi wasalaam) what Alif laam meem meant. And we also know that if you read the most common translations of the quraan after Alif laam meem it says in brackets (none but Allaah knows it's meaning..).

So how can Issa (as) know then?
And wouldn't that be a form of revelation? ( I'm guessing not, because rasoolullaah sallahu alayhi wasalaam said there's no revelations coming after me...).

Wallahu a'alam please do forgive me it's one of those annoying questions that got stuck in my head over the night, that probably has no immediate benefit ..kahir insha'allah.

Ahmed
Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM   #2
AkheeAB
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Alif Laam Meem"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed Ibn Hassan
Bismillaah

I just had a quick question insha'allaah about the very first ayaah of Al Baqaraah.

Alhumduliha we know it's one of the many miracles (muji'ez) of the quran, and it's also a challenge to mankind in many ways. However, i was discussing this very issue to an elderly brother who is my tafsir teacher. As he was explaining it in detail one thing he mentioned that i never knew was, when Issa (as) comes back on earth we will have the opportunity to ask him what Alif laam meem' means.Then i sat their looked across the room and stared at my friend with that interesting look..

We know that the sahabaah never had asked the rasoolullaah (sallahu alayhi wasalaam) what Alif laam meem meant. And we also know that if you read the most common translations of the quraan after Alif laam meem it says in brackets (none but Allaah knows it's meaning..).

So how can Issa (as) know then?
And wouldn't that be a form of revelation? ( I'm guessing not, because rasoolullaah sallahu alayhi wasalaam said there's no revelations coming after me...).

Wallahu a'alam please do forgive me it's one of those annoying questions that got stuck in my head over the night, that probably has no immediate benefit ..kahir insha'allah.

Ahmed
HOPE THE BELOW HELPS IN SHA ALLAAH

Praise be to Allaah.

A group of scholars, such as the Rightly-Guided Khaleefahs (may Allaah be pleased with them), and others among the Sahaabah, Taabi’een and their followers, refrained from interpreting this aayah and others which contain al-huroof al-muqatta’ah [letters which appear at the beginning of some soorahs]. It was not narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) interpreted them, so it is preferable for us to say Allaah knows best what they mean. But it was narrated that some of the mufassireen among the Sahaabah, Taabi’een and their followers did interpret them, and they differed as to their interpretation.

Al-Saheeh al-Masboor min al-Tafseer bi’l-Ma’thoor by Dr Hikmat Basheer, vol 1, p. 94

Some of the scholars tried to discover the wisdom behind these letters and said: These letters are mentioned – and Allaah knows best – at the beginning of soorahs which point to the miraculous nature of the Qur’aan, which implies that all mankind is unable to match it, even though it is composed of the letters that they use in their daily speech. This was the view supported by Shaykh al-Islam Ibn Taymiyah (may Allaah have mercy on him) and was approved of by Abu’l-Hajjaaj al-Mazzi (may Allaah have mercy on him). And Allaah is the Source of strength. May Allaah bless our Prophet Muhammad and his family and companions, and grant them peace.

Fataawa al-Lajnah al-Daa’imah, vol. 4, p. 144.

Islam Q&A
Sheikh Muhammed Salih Al-Munajjid
"Useful knowledge is that which makes you grow in the fear of Allah, increases you in awareness of your defects, deepens your knowledge of the worship of your Lord Most High, decreases your desire for this world and increases your desire for the life to come, and opens your eyes to the defects of your actions so that you guard against them."
-Imam Ghazali

Last edited by AkheeAB; 03-19-2009 at 04:17 PM.
AkheeAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #3
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Alif Laam Meem"?

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatUllahi wa barakatuhu,

In shaykh Jamaal Zarabozo's class on the Principles of Quranic tafseer, we actually discussed this, and although there are different opinions, the shaykh concluded that the second opinion below is the strongest opinion.

In class with shaykh Isam Rajab, we did the same. There were 4 opinions that we went over;
1. There is a meaning; that it's a meaning of Allah, or it's a name of the surah, or it's an indication for the length of this ummah. (yes, that's the whole first opinion)
2. There is no meaning, but there IS a purpose
3. There's a meaning, and Allah only knows it.
4. We don't discuss it, Allah knows best.

Wa Allahu A'lam.

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote