Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Code of Scholars: Usool al-Fiqh - USL 201

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #1
mehr_muslimah
Qabeelat Majd

Question Dhikhr-beads!

Asalamu-alaikum Warahmatullahi Wabarakatuh!
Okay this has been bugging me fr quite a while...is the use of dhikr-beads/misbaha bid'ah? What about those electronic ones?
JazakAllah khair!
Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Dhikhr-beads!

Assalam Alaikum

Lets ask ourselves first, did Dhikr beads exist at the time of the prophet peace be upon him ? - NO

How did the prophet peace be upon him do Dhikr ? - on his right hand fingers.

How did the prophet peace be upon him instruct his companions to do Dhikr ? - on their right hand fingers, because on the day of judgement, they will speak and witness for you that you used them to remember Allah.

After the prophet had passed away and some people started new innovations, What was the companions' reactions to when they saw some people doing Dhikr on something other than their right hand ? - Ibn Mas'oud saw a woman who was doing Dhikr on some beads or something, so he broke them for her and threw them, and then he saw a man doing Dhikr using stones, so he kicked him and told him that this is an innovation! So the companions denounced those new innovations when they saw them.

Now, we all know as the hadith says "the best of guidance is the guidance of prophet Muhammad", so it is best for us to follow his guidance and do Dhikr on our right hand fingers.

Allah knows best.

Last edited by Abd- Allah; 04-17-2009 at 01:10 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Nihalk1
Qabeelat Durbah

The act of using dhikr beads is not considered an act of worship...so how can it be bida'ah?
Old 04-17-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Ibn Abi Ukhti
Ummat Muhammad

Location: In Jannat AlFirdous with RasuluLlah salaLlahu 'alayhi wassalam insha'Allah

BismiLlah,

Wa 'Alaykum Assalam,

I just wanted to quote the following hadith:

Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه said that along with Rasul Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم he once visited a woman in front of whom were some datestones or pebbles which she was using [to keep count] in glorifying Allah سبحان و تعالى. Rasul Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم said, "Shall I not tell you something which would be easier (or better) for you than that? [and he told her it consisted of saying, ...] [Sunan Abi Dawud & Sunan Al Tirmidhi, hasan]

Then visit bearersofquran(dot)com
Old 04-17-2009, 01:07 AM   #5
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihalk1
The act of using dhikr beads is not considered an act of worship...so how can it be bida'ah?
Oh, it is not considered an act of worship ??? Then what is it considered ?

Making Dhikr is considered worship, I think there is consensus among the scholars on this one.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #6
Nihalk1
Qabeelat Durbah

Making dhikr is an act of worship but using the masbahah isn't.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:41 AM   #7
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibn Abi Ukhti
BismiLlah,

Wa 'Alaykum Assalam,

I just wanted to quote the following hadith:

Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas رضي الله عنه said that along with Rasul Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم he once visited a woman in front of whom were some datestones or pebbles which she was using [to keep count] in glorifying Allah سبحان و تعالى. Rasul Allah صلى الله عليه و سلم said, "Shall I not tell you something which would be easier (or better) for you than that? [and he told her it consisted of saying, ...] [Sunan Abi Dawud & Sunan Al Tirmidhi, hasan]
Assalam Alaikum

Sheikh Albani has classified this hadith as Weak. Check Da'eef Abi Dawud, hadith # 1500.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihalk1
Making dhikr is an act of worship but using the masbahah isn't.
But you are using the masbahah to make dhikr, so it becomes part of it. You can carry a masbahah around all you want, but the moment you start using it to make dhikr then it becomes part of an act of worship and therefore an innovation.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
Yusuf513Khan
Banu Hayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd- Allah
But you are using the masbahah to make dhikr, so it becomes part of it. You can carry a masbahah around all you want, but the moment you start using it to make dhikr then it becomes part of an act of worship and therefore an innovation.
I think you would need to prove the point that something that aids in an act of worship becomes an act of worship itself (and thus needs to have evidence in our texts)...

If I use a camel/car/bike to get to the masjid to pray Isha...does it become a part of worship and thus, would have to see if there was evidence to see if such things were used to aid in my worship?

Among some of the Ulema of our time (such as Sh. Fawzan, Sh. Uthaymeen r, etc.) have allowed dhikr beads among other evidences. One of these is the understanding that "counting" is not an act of worship, and thus the beads are not bid'a, since the purpose of the fingers is to count the act of worship which is the dhikr itself.

Although nobody disagrees using the hand is better as it is authentically in the Sunnah.

This is not a fatwa. Just some information (from my limited understanding) to show there are other sides to the equation and not cut and dry as some may make.

Allahualam

“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”

So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.”

So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into the lap of the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam out of joy.

The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?”

I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”

He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer.”
[Reported in 'Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman' (1875), and it is in 'as-Silsilah as-Sahihah' (2254)]
Old 04-17-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
Yusuf513Khan
Banu Hayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd- Allah
Assalam Alaikum

Sheikh Albani has classified this hadith as Weak. Check Da'eef Abi Dawud, hadith # 1500.
Is there any ikhtilaaf on the authenticity of this hadith? Has anybody graded this hadith or hadith like it authentic?

“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”

So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.”

So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into the lap of the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam out of joy.

The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?”

I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”

He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer.”
[Reported in 'Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman' (1875), and it is in 'as-Silsilah as-Sahihah' (2254)]
Closed Thread