Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Breach of Covenant: Tafseer Surat AlBaqarah - QRN 203

Old 05-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #1
NasirMuzaffar
Ummat Muhammad

Harut & Marut - Were Kings - Not Angels ?

Tafseer of [2:102]

Q. Is anyone aware of any scholar who says that :

Harut and Marut were kings and not angels ?

And the the word in the ayah "malikaynee" doesn't mean angels, rather two kings ?

What I know is that Imam Tabari (r) was of the opinion that they were not angels only humans

but I haven't read anyone saying they were kings

My Nigerian friend in university quotes his Shaykh Jafar Mahmud Adam (r), who did bachelors in tafseer from IU of Madinah, for the king opinion

Curious for some insightful info on this issue
NasirMuzaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Harut & Marut - Were Kings - Not Angels ?

I think it might be in our Rays of Faith notes.

Insha'Allah I'll take a look at them and see what we discussed of it.

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sara
I think it might be in our Rays of Faith notes.

Insha'Allah I'll take a look at them and see what we discussed of it.
here is what I found in our Rays of Faith notes:

" in a different Qir’aat they said “ ‘alal MalAkaini” (meaning : “two kings”) and the different Qir’aa says “Maleekaini” angels (just another opinion, mentioned in Tafsir by Ibn Abi Hatim) -some say those two kings were from the Jinn and they taught magic ( Ibn Hazm supported this very strongly)

-Al Qurtubi said “maa” should mean to “negate” not to affirm ( b/c it can have two meanings)

-besides these opinions, most of the major Tafsir say: “they were angels” and this doesn’t contradict the characteristics of angels bc they were listening to the command of Allah and they were doing it as a TEST"

Wa Allahu A'lam.

Perhaps other can share details they have on this matter, although I personally don't think it's of much importance as long as we understand the last line in the quoted text above.

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #4
AkheeAB
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasir Muzaffar
Tafseer of [2:102]

Q. Is anyone aware of any scholar who says that :

Harut and Marut were kings and not angels ?

And the the word in the ayah "malikaynee" doesn't mean angels, rather two kings ?

What I know is that Imam Tabari (r) was of the opinion that they were not angels only humans

but I haven't read anyone saying they were kings

My Nigerian friend in university quotes his Shaykh Jafar Mahmud Adam (r), who did bachelors in tafseer from IU of Madinah, for the king opinion

Curious for some insightful info on this issue
the above word means, two angles. In the Arabic grammer, there are nouns in the dual form. When the noun is in the nominative case (in arabic مرفوع) the dual (مثن) way to see it is 'malikan' (ملكان). In addition, in the accusative form (منصوب), the dual form of two angels is (ملكين). Finally, in the genetive case (مجرور) it is the same as the accusative form (ملكين). Hence, it does sound like to two kings; rather, it means two kings because a preposition follows it. (علي) in Arabic is a preposition (حرف جر) and it makes the noun (اسم مجرور)that follows it genetive. I hope this little bit of infomartion suffices your wonderful question; baraka Allahu feek.
"Useful knowledge is that which makes you grow in the fear of Allah, increases you in awareness of your defects, deepens your knowledge of the worship of your Lord Most High, decreases your desire for this world and increases your desire for the life to come, and opens your eyes to the defects of your actions so that you guard against them."
-Imam Ghazali
AkheeAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
AkheeAB
Ummat Muhammad

+

[99-103] We have sent down to you Revelations that clearly expound the Truth, and none but the disobedient reject them. Has it not always been so that every time they made a covenant, some of them set it aside? Nay, most of them never believe in it sincerely. And whenever a Messenger came to them from Allah, confirming that Scripture which they already possessed, some from among the people of the Book threw the Book of Allah behind their backs as though they knew nothing about it. (Instead of this,) they began to follow that (magic) to which the devils falsely attributed (the greatness of) the kingdom of Solomon.104In fact Solomon .was never involved in any practice of disbelief, but the satans, who taught magic to the people were themselves guilty of disbelief. They were after that thing which was sent to Harut and Marut, the two angels at Babylon. Whenever these two angels taught black art to anyone, they would always give a clear warning beforehand, saying, "We are merely a trial for you; so you should not commit blasphemy.105But in spite of this warning, those people used to learn from the angels the art which caused division between husband and wife.106Although it was obvious that they could not do any harm to anyone by means of this magic without Allah's permission, yet they learnt that art which could not be profitable even for them but was actually harmful. Moreover, they knew it full well that anyone, who purchased that art, would have no share in the Hereafter. What a vile commodity it was for which they sold off their souls, if they had but known it! Had they believed in Allah and practised piety, they would have received a far better reward from AIIah, if they had but known it.
"Useful knowledge is that which makes you grow in the fear of Allah, increases you in awareness of your defects, deepens your knowledge of the worship of your Lord Most High, decreases your desire for this world and increases your desire for the life to come, and opens your eyes to the defects of your actions so that you guard against them."
-Imam Ghazali
AkheeAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:28 AM   #6
NasirMuzaffar
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Qadimoon
shaykh waleed said that the recitation that says malikayni is not authentic

Muhammad Asad in his commentary of the Qur'an:

As regards the designation of Harut and Marut, most of the readings of the Qurlan give the spelling malakayn ("the two angels"); but it is authentically recorded (see Tabari, Zamakhshari, Baghawi, Razi, etc.) that the great Companion of the Prophet, Ibn `Abbas, as well as several learned men of the next generation - e.g., Al-Hasan al-Basri, Abu '1-Aswad and AdDahhak-read it as malikayn ("the two kings").

Is Sh. Waleed (hz) saying that the authenticity of these recitations as malikayn ("the two kings") by Ibn `Abbas, Al-Hasan al-Basri, Abu '1-Aswad and AdDahhak, etc is weak ?
Old 05-31-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
NasirMuzaffar
Ummat Muhammad

I have uploaded the Urdu Tafseer of [Surah Baqarah:102] written by Allamah Badeuddin Shah As-Sindee (r).

Allamah Badeuddin Shah As-Sindee (r) was writing his Tafseer in the local Sindhi language....... he could only complete (15 Juz if I am not mistaken) before his death.

This tafseer has been translated from Sindhi to Urdu.

The name of the file is Qissa Haroot Maroot aur Jadoo Ki Haqeqat.pdf
(in english it means : Story of Harut & Marut & Reality Of Magic)

It can be downloaded from: [mod edit: links removed]

It's a 124 pages long !

Allamah Badeuddin Shah As-Sindee (r) was of the opinion that Harut & Marut were humans and not angels.

And Allah (SWT) knows best.

Last edited by brother_bruce; 06-08-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: links removed
Old 05-31-2009, 10:33 AM   #8
abu_musab461
Ummat Muhammad

(They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely of the magic) in the lifetime of Sulayman) means,

"`During the time of Prophet Solomon.' Beforehand, the devils used to ascend to heaven and eavesdrop on the conversations of the angels about what will occur on the earth regarding death, other incidents or unseen matters. They would convey this news to the soothsayers, and the soothsayers would in turn convey the news to the people. The people would believe what the soothsayers told them as being true. When the soothsayers trusted the devils, the devils started to lie to them and added other words to the true news that they heard, to the extent of adding seventy false words to each true word. The people recorded these words in some books. Soon after, the Children of Israel said that the Jinns know matters of the Unseen.

When Solomon was sent as a Prophet, he collected these books in a box and buried it under his throne; any devil that dared get near the box was burned. Solomon said, `I will not hear of anyone who says that the devils know the Unseen, but I will cut off his head.' When Solomon died and the scholars who knew the truth about Solomon perished, there came another generation. To them, the devil materialized in the shape of a human and said to some of the Children of Israel, `Should I lead you to a treasure that you will never be able to use up' They said. `Yes.'

He said, `Dig under this throne,' and he went with them and showed them Solomon's throne. They said to him, `Come closer.' He said, `No. I will wait for you here, and if you do not find the treasure then kill me. ' They dug and found the buried books, and Satan said to them, `Solomon only controlled the humans, devils and birds with this magic.' Thereafter, the news that Solomon was a sorcerer spread among the people, and the Children of Israel adopted these books. When Muhammad came, they disputed with him relying on these books. Hence Allah's statement,

﴿وَمَا كَفَرَ سُلَيْمَـنُ وَلَـكِنَّ الشَّيْاطِينَ كَفَرُواْ﴾

(Sulayman did not disbelieve, but the Shayatin (devils) disbelieved)
abu_musab461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #9
abu_musab461
Ummat Muhammad

(They followed what the Shayatin (devils) gave out (falsely) in the lifetime of Sulayman.) means, magic. Solomon neither disbelieved nor did Allah send magic with the two angels. However, the devils disbelieved and taught magic to the people in the Babylon of Harut and Marut, meaning Gabriel and Michael, for Jewish sorcerers claimed that Allah sent magic by the words of Gabriel and Michael to Solomon, son of David. Allah denied this false claim and stated to His Prophet Muhammad that Gabriel and Michael were not sent with magic. Allah also exonerated Solomon from practicing magic, which the devils taught to the people of Babylon by the hands of two men, Harut and Marut. Hence, Harut and Marut were two ordinary men (not angels or Gabriel or Michael).'' These were the words of At-Tabari, and this explanation is not plausible.

Many among the Salaf, said that Harut and Marut were angels who came down from heaven to earth and did what they did as the Ayah stated. To conform this opinion with the fact that the angels are immune from error, we say that Allah had eternal knowledge what these angels would do, just as He had eternal knowledge that Iblis would do as he did, while Allah refered to him being among the angels,

(And (remember) when We said to the angels: "Prostrate yourselves before Adam.'' And they prostrated except Iblis (Satan), he refused) (20:116) and so forth. However, what Harut and Marut did was less evil than what Iblis, may Allah curse him, did. Al-Qurtubi reported this opinion from `Ali, Ibn Mas`ud, Ibn `Abbas, Ibn `Umar, Ka`b Al-Ahbar, As-Suddi and Al-Kalbi.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
abu_musab461
Ummat Muhammad

(But neither of these two (angels) taught anyone (such things) till they had said, "We are for trial, so disbelieve not (by learning this magic from us).)

Abu Ja`far Ar-Razi said that Ar-Rabi' bin Anas said that Qays bin `Abbad said that Ibn `Abbas said, "When someone came to the angels to learn magic, they would discourage him and say to him, `We are only a test, so do not fall into disbelief.' They had knowledge of what is good and evil and what constitutes belief or disbelief, and they thus knew that magic is a form of disbelief. When the person who came to learn magic still insisted on learning it, they commanded him to go to such and such place, where if he went, Satan would meet him and teach him magic. When this man would learn magic, the light (of faith) would depart him, and he would see it shining (and flying away) in the sky. He would then proclaim, `O my sorrow! Woe unto me! What should I do.'' Al-Hasan Al-Basri said that this Ayah means, "The angels were sent with magic, so that the people whom Allah willed would be tried and tested. Allah made them promise that they would not teach anyone until first proclaiming, `We are a test for you, do not fall into disbelief.''' It was recorded by Ibn Abi Hatim. Also, Qatadah said, "Allah took their covenant to not teach anyone magic until they said, `We are a test. Therefore, do not fall in disbelief.'''

Also, As-Suddi said, "When a man would come to the two angels they would advise him, `Do not fall into disbelief. We are a test. ' When the man would ignore their advice, they would say, `Go to that pile of ashes and urinate on it.' When he would urinate on the ashes, a light, meaning the light of faith, would depart from him and would shine until it entered heaven. Then something black that appeared to be smoke would descend and enter his ears and the rest of his body, and this is Allah's anger. When he told the angels what happened, they would teach him magic