Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Precious Provisions: Fiqh of Food and Clothing - FQH 302 > Answered Questions

Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #1
hassanm

How Kosher is Kosher?

Assalam-o-Alaikum.

I was trying to find the procedure of Kosher slaughtering, and whatever results I got from google, did not mention the requirement/practice of jews to do tasmiya (in any language). One brother mentioned to me, that a rabbi goes in morning and blesses all animals and leave. Even that I could not find if it was done.

(Link Removed)

Quote:
It is not true that kosher food must be blessed by a rabbi. This is a myth.
So can anyone find different results than this? Thanks.

Hassan

Last edited by Bint Roots; 12-28-2009 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Outside link removed.

Old 08-18-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
muhsinmuttaqi
Ummat Muhammad

Re: How Kosher is Kosher?

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Al Qur'an tells us that the meat of the Nasara and the Yahood are permissible for Muslims to eat. This is a universal rule, because it is from Qur'an which is timeless.

We spend so long coming up with awesome names only to have people say things like, "Are you going to attend PP?"

This has been my life's mission to end all acronyms.

We should post in our signatures: "Say NO to Acronyms, OK?"
Old 08-18-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
hassanm

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhsinmuttaqi
Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullahee wa Barakatu

Al Qur'an tells us that the meat of the Nasara and the Yahood are permissible for Muslims to eat. This is a universal rule, because it is from Qur'an which is timeless.
I am not sure if you have taken the class. Considering if someone is of the opinion (like Sheikh Yasir Qadhi hafidaullah) that tasmiya is mandatory, then does this kosher process fulfills the criteria?

Old 08-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
bint_habibullah
Qabeelat Durbah

I believe the shaykh told us (in Durbah) that he asked rabbis about it, and said that it is true, that they do have to be there. They're more strict than us, and emphasized many times that it is permissible to eat the Kosher meat of the Jews and Christians. He said it many, many, many times in our class, and yet people still sent up the question after he would emphasize it. I hope that by telling you this your heart can be put at ease.

Wikipedia can always be changed, hence it's not always a reliable source to be used when getting info on certain topics, esp. from religion. It would be better to ask a rabbi in person. How would we feel when people learn about Islam just by what they've read on the Internet (which could be true or false).

Wallahu 'alam.

AlMaghrib Institute
Qabeelat Durbah Campus
Class of 2012 in sha Allah

What will you accomplish in 3 years?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Abu Ammaar

Salam Alaikum

This is a very valid point, and I encourage students to always challenge, politely of course, what they have been taught.

I have not witnessed such slaughters; however from my research, and from asking trained Jews in the field, they have mentioned that they, as a custom, always begin a process of slaughtering by mentioning the name of God. They do not necessarily say the tasmiya the way we do - and I never said that was a requirement.

One source writes, "In Shechita [= dhabiha], a blessing to God is recited before beginning an uninterrupted period of slaughtering; as long as the Shochet [= Jewish butcher] does not have a lengthy pause, interrupt, or otherwise lose concentration, this blessing covers all the animals slaughtered that period."

And Allah knows best.

Yasir

Old 08-23-2009, 04:42 PM   #6
Mariam 3:36
Ummat Muhammad

As-salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmat Allah,

I have not taken the class either, and this is somewhat of a tangential point, but I was told by someone that it is possible for a Rabbi to render derivatives of a pig kosher--I think she said use of pig bones, but I can't remember exactly, so Allahu a'alem. Does anyone know if that is in fact true?

If it is true, I assume it would not impact the permissibility of eating kosher meats, but it may impact purchases of other goods labeled as kosher, waAllahu a'alem.

أَقُولُ قَوْلِي هذَا وَأَسْتَغْفِرُ اللهَ لِي وَلَكُم

I say this and invoke Allah for forgiveness for me and for you.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
muhsinmuttaqi
Ummat Muhammad

Assalamu Alaykum

Remember, the Jewish Nation is divided into 71 sects. I think that there are sects that have lax rules. There many Reformist and Modernist Jews who do not follow the strict rules of Conservative and Orthodox Jewry.

We spend so long coming up with awesome names only to have people say things like, "Are you going to attend PP?"

This has been my life's mission to end all acronyms.

We should post in our signatures: "Say NO to Acronyms, OK?"
Old 08-24-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Um Tammer
Qabeelat Mubeen

I am confused. It is permissable to eat kosher although they do not say the name of God for each individual slaughter? That seems to contridict my understanding during class. Clarification, please?

Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #9
bint_habibullah
Qabeelat Durbah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Um Tammer
I am confused. It is permissable to eat kosher although they do not say the name of God for each individual slaughter? That seems to contridict my understanding during class. Clarification, please?
Yes, it is permissible to eat kosher meat, and if you read what the shaykh said 2 posts above:
Quote:
They do not necessarily say the tasmiya the way we do - and I never said that was a requirement.
I hope that helps in sha Allah.

This is a sidepoint that I have learned to help me remember the "kosher rules"

If it's meat, then eat!
If it's not then read the label.

(couldn't get it to rhyme but khayr in sha Allah).

AlMaghrib Institute
Qabeelat Durbah Campus
Class of 2012 in sha Allah

What will you accomplish in 3 years?
Old 08-24-2009, 10:39 PM   #10
*SabrunJameel*
Qabeelat Ansar

Assalaamu Alaykum wa rahmatullah,

I know that the quran says that Allah SWT has made lawful to us the meat of the Jews and christians, and I heard that it is because they slaughter their animals in the name of God. I seem to understand that the Jews are pretty serious about their slaughtering rituals, and they label their food kosher just like we Muslims would Halaal. But What I don't understand, is the fact that people would eat meat from everywhere and anywhere and say that its ahlul kitaab and that therefore it is halaal. But how could these people in fact know, that lets say the chicken strips they had at Mcdonals or anywhere else, was slaughtered by a Jew or christian that blessed it in the name of their God? Im really confused cause im pretty sure that all these companies do not have a rabi or somekind of priest there, and as far as I know most of these companies even slaughter their animals with machines. I would really appriciate if anybody could clear things out .
Barakallahu feekum,
wassalaamu alaykum
"Do not envy one another; do not inflate prices one to another; do not hate one another; do not turn away from one another; and do not undercut one another, but be you, O servants of Allah, brothers. A muslim is the brother of a muslim: he neither oppresses him nor does he fail him, he neither lies to him nor does he hold him in contempt. Piety is right here-and he pointed to his breast three times. It is evil enough for a man to hold his brother muslim in contempt. The whole of a muslim for another muslim is inviolable: his blood, his property, and his honor."

Closed Thread