Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Institute Main Administration > ChariTree

Old 09-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Alima
Ameerah, Qabeelat Fawz

Arrow Social Services in the Qur'an!

Bismillah,

I see many brothers and sisters who are very passionate about Social Services and it makes me wonder, what makes them have this attitude!?

Hence, I need some help and everything compiled here will help a lot of others inshaAllaah.

I need:

1) What type of Social Service Allaah 'azza wa jal mentions in the Ayat/s?/Or Rasoolullah salAllahu 'alayhi wa sallam mentioned.

2) The Surah and Ayat number/Hadeeth reference.

3) Any commentary the Shaykh mentioned on the Social Service/Ayat - If it was mentioned in a seminar.

~ They can also be from other verses in the Qur'an, not confined to just Juzz Amma. The whole Qur'an is full of verses, trully this ummah is suppose to at service to mankind... subhan Allah.

~ Those who have attended Tafseer seminars - This is for you!

Insha Allah we can start now and continue after Ramadan, also this is an opportunity to look back at your notes.

JazakumAllahu khayrun.

Last edited by Alima; 03-26-2010 at 06:07 AM.
Alima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Sarah Mushtaq
Ameerah, Qabeelat Ittihaad - Windsor

Re: Social Services in the Qur'an!

From my AlHuda notes:

Surah Baqarah, 83: 'And remember when We took a covenant from the Children of Isra'eel: 'You shall worship none but Allah, be good (ihsaan!) to your parents, relatives, orphans (yateem), and destitue (masakeen), and speak fair to the people, establish salah, and pay Zakah.' But you broke the covenant except for a few of you, and you paid no heed."

It's the wonderful Covenant that is constantly mentioned

*Husna means beautiful, so it means to do something in a beautiful manner. It is towards Allah and other people. a) To do good generally b) to more than they deserve c) When they mistreat you, to still do good

So, do 'ihsaan' to parents, relatives, orphans (technically yateem also means women who don't have support - yateem means to be cut so an orphan is someone without a father, just as women without support would be women without fathers/brothers/husbands), the needy (people with unfulfilled needs, poor, but can fulfill some needs - basically have to find these people), to speak well to everyone, and to establish salah and zakah.

SubhanAllah, look how parents, relatives, orphans, poor and speaking good comes BEFORE salah and zakah! If salah and zakah are pillars of Islam, what do the others become?

WaAllahu'alim.

Afterthought: Social Services begin in the home (as the verse begins with the parents), then it spreads out to the community. So, how are we at home? SubhanAllah.

"The Believer is Grateful When Given, and Patient When Denied." - TEJ, '10
"The Best Hiba AlWahhab gave us is living with His Names ." - VoS, '10

Last edited by *HijabiForLife*; 09-06-2009 at 04:35 PM.
Sarah Mushtaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:34 PM   #3
Sarah Mushtaq
Ameerah, Qabeelat Ittihaad - Windsor

Oh, and why donate blood?

'Whereas, if anyone saves a life, it shall be as though he had saved the lives of all mankind.' (5:32)

How cool is that?

"The Believer is Grateful When Given, and Patient When Denied." - TEJ, '10
"The Best Hiba AlWahhab gave us is living with His Names ." - VoS, '10
Sarah Mushtaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Alima
Ameerah, Qabeelat Fawz

Now that is cool... :) ^

Jazakillahu khayr for starting this off Ms S.

From Touched by an Angel notes:

1. Giving in Charity.

2. Surah Layl/Ayat 5.

"As for him who gives (in charity) and keeps his duty to Allaah and fears Him."

3. Shaykh Muhammed Alshareef Hafidullah; Allaah 'azza wa jal explains what path He loves, giving charity sincerly for His sake and when a person does this, Allaah 'azza wa jal will make a path of righteousness easy for him.

~ Our society is poor because we are not use to giving for the sake of Allaah subhanahu wa ta 'alaa. IF we give, Allaah subahanhu wa ta 'alaa makes giving easy for us and by consistency, their is added ease.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #5
bint_abubakr
Qabeelat Ansar

1. Feeding the poor

2. Surat al-Insaan: وَيُطْعِمُونَ الطَّعَامَ عَلَى حُبِّهِ مِسْكِيناً وَيَتِيماً وَأَسِيراً إِنَّمَا نُطْعِمُكُمْ لِوَجْهِ اللَّهِ لَا نُرِيدُ مِنكُمْ جَزَاء وَلَا شُكُوراً -And they give food in spite of love for it to the needy, the orphan, and the captive, saying: "We feed you only for the countenance of Allah . We wish not from you reward or gratitude".

3. Why? - إِنَّا نَخَافُ مِن رَّبِّنَا يَوْماً عَبُوساً قَمْطَرِيراً Verily, We fear from our Lord a Day, hard and distressful.

(ayat 8-10)

[Related by Ibn al-Qayyim in ad-Dâ' wad-Dawâ Fasl, 49]
bint_abubakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
Alima
Ameerah, Qabeelat Fawz

Alhamdulillah ^ What an amazing ayat, subhanAllaah...

Any more?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
Amatullah
Qabeelat Nurayn

I'm totally going to contribute inshaAllah Alima..just need some time
yet they do not gain benefit from it nor do they give benefit out to others.”

Imam Al-Awzaa'ee rahimahullah
Amatullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
Abdullah~
Ummat Muhammad

Asalamu Alaykum,

what would be amazing is if some type of document/pdf could be created, and insha'Allah could be very well designed, and any students can contribute insha'Allah, and you could include verses and ahadith related to orphans, parents, elderly, the environment, neighbors, community, dawah of giving the message as well, even smiling. maybe we could list service ideas after the hadith and ayaat and explanation.. it could be very simple and beautifully presented insha'Allah.

i just picture a very nice, friendly brochure/booklet! can ChariTree do this insha'Allah?

for more examples there is surah Ma'oon, and also Surah Balad (90:11-18), surah Layl.

Here is an example hadith on taking are of orphans:

"I and the guardian of an orphan will be in Jannah like these two fingers and he joined his two fingers." (Al-Bukhari, Hadith no. 4892)

umm, can this be done insha'Allah?
Abdullah~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:28 PM   #9
Alima
Ameerah, Qabeelat Fawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusra
I'm totally going to contribute inshaAllah Alima..just need some time :)

The world is your oyster, barakAllaahu feeki Yusra :)

Brother Abdullah, that's exctly what I had in mind... Charitree?

^ Though we could also experiment and try out other cool methods to get the message across.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
AbdAllahuAkbar
Ummat Muhammad

I love social work. I used to want to be a firefigher, ambulance guy, cop (not anymore), and all that stuff. Social Service is not only a natural part of our fitra and in the Quran but also very important to the society we live in.
Muhammad AlShareef (May Allah preserve him and increase him in knowledge and eman) said in a cd i can get the name of later, "What have the Muslims done for others in our times? If the government just decided to kick all the Muslims out would anyone notice??? Would ANYONE notice? what have we really done other than build masajid, which risk at being empty every day exccept for jumuaa. They will just make it into a library or arcade (which is how we treat it) and non one would ever know the muslims are here.

However if they said "Lets kick out all the Catholics what would happen? 650 hospitals nationwide would close down, hospitals that you, I, or someone we know had been treated in. It would be a great loss for America. But what have we done to make our signifcant benefitial impact (as Muslims always have done in history)?

Alhamulilah we are doing BETTER as Dalia Mogahed (May Allah reward her) has pointed out as part of Obamas cabinet and we need to group up and try harder. May Allah encourage us to be the leaders that show us the way to good deeds and great status in the eyes of Allah and in this Dunya. Ameen AMEEN