Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Durbah

Old 01-18-2004, 08:41 PM   #1
MrEspy78

Post Class Thoughts....

Assalamu Alaikum,

As the class kicked into high gear in the second weekend I noticed a few things. We (the brothers) were now more comfortable with each other and the atmosphere was definitely more relaxed.

After the first weekend, I looked at the people around me who didn't take the AlMaghrib class, and I now saw them in a different light. I saw that they were "left behind" - The train moved past the station and there was no getting back on for them. They would be left behind while the passengers would move onto greater things. One friend, called me and said, "Let's go see So and So movie" - it's playing at midnight...I thought to myself...He COULD have LIVED something better...the Life of Abdullah ibn AzZubair!!!

InshAllah, may we become true men, and not the little boys we like to be...Guys wake UP!!! The sister's are looking for men...think about it for a second...think about the comments that were made by our Sheikh and the sisters themselves..."How did Khalid treat his wife?" - They asked because HE WAS A MAN...think about it fellas....

As the AlMaghrib "Withdrawal" eventually subsides...I hope the side effects will be nothing but beneficial for our Communities....May our bonds grow stronger....ameen...

Salaams...

Salim....
Old 01-19-2004, 03:56 PM   #2
-BintAbbas-

Re: Post Class Thoughts....

AssalamuAlaikum,

SubhanAllah, its interesting how one of the best ways to motivate boys to become men is by letting them know that thats what the sisters are looking for...but its the truth. A boy isnt a man until he learns courage and obedience to Allah (swt), and he isnt a husband until he learns how to be a leader. Allah (swt) out of His wisdom has made men the Ameers of the household, but, as we have learned in this course, there are Ameers that are respected and loved and others that arent. If you are lucky and marry a religious woman (like a really religious one that has superb nafs-control) then she will be obedient to you for the sake of Allah (swt), but she might not love and respect you in her heart. That needs to be earned. If you want to be loved and respected Ameers then you definitely need to develop the leadership and diplomacy skills that are required. The Rasool (saw) and his sahaabah (ra) lived and breathed excellent leadership inside and outside their homes. The consensus of the females in the class seemed to be that any one of us would have been joyfully ecstatic to be even the 4th wifes of these figures. If you all want your Khadijas and your Aishas, learn to be like Muhammad (saw). A beard and a kufi arent enough...

As a nonmuslim friend of mine said upon coming to our friend's segregated party, "so, where are the men?"

WasalaamuAlaikum

"Dang, all the good men are dead..." --Anonymous quote from class

[QUOTE=MrEspy78]Assalamu Alaikum,
InshAllah, may we become true men, and not the little boys we like to be...Guys wake UP!!! The sister's are looking for men...think about it for a second...think about the comments that were made by our Sheikh and the sisters themselves..."How did Khalid treat his wife?" - They asked because HE WAS A MAN...think about it fellas....
QUOTE]
Old 01-19-2004, 04:11 PM   #3
working4islam

i think there are alot of brothers out there who are motivated by who khalid ibn waleed was, and not so much by what kind of husband he was. he was a man, just like all the other sahaabas and tabi'een.
but
Quote:
"Dang, all the good men are dead..." --Anonymous quote from class
i dont find this to be true. i think there are alot of men out there. some know that they are men and others dont. we just have to dig it out of them.

for those of us who claim to be men, dont forget that you werent always a 'good boy'. someone came along and caused you to change. now its your turn to return the favor. just simply reiterating hte question will not bring out the men (and even the women for that matter....we rarely talk about them), but we need to put action behind these posts, walk behind hte talk...
Old 01-19-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
Abu Hurayrah

Quote:
If you all want your Khadijas and your Aishas, learn to be like Muhammad (saw).
This is such a beautiful comment, maa shaa Allaah.

May Allaah (SWT) help us to be like the Prophet Muhammad (salallaahu `alayhi wa sallam) and the Sahaabah in all their exemplary ways, not just the public ways...

I know too many brothers that seem to overlook the private lives of the sahaabah when they aspire to be like them.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:05 PM   #5
MrEspy78

Any other Post Class thoughts? I was not trying to turn this into a "boy" bashing thread...I was just stating the obvious sentiment perceived by me during the class and in "our" society in general...and this sentiment did not conjure itself up...it's reality...unfortunately...

Now for other news...alhamd...Durbah has great potential...Durbah Da'wah Group (DDG)...interesting concept...

Vision - a key ingredient every leader must have....

DDG - along w/ YMJC and ISRU bring you the Northeast Da'wah Conference...
DDG Blood Drives
DDG - Adopt a Highway Program
DDG - Adopt a River Program
DDG - Adopt a Muslim Orphan
DDG - Letter Writing Campaign
DDG - Media Flood (ask me later)
DDG - Voter Registration - ROCK THE VOTE!!!

InshAllah this will get the brainwaves flowing...
Old 01-20-2004, 11:45 PM   #6
-BintAbbas-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEspy78
Any other Post Class thoughts? I was not trying to turn this into a "boy" bashing thread...I was just stating the obvious sentiment perceived by me during the class and in "our" society in general...and this sentiment did not conjure itself up...it's reality...unfortunately...

Now for other news...alhamd...Durbah has great potential...Durbah Da'wah Group (DDG)...interesting concept...
AssalamuAlaikum,

I apologize if my post sounded like boy-bashing. I didnt mean to single out the brothers, after all we sisters are just as much in need of self-improvement as the brothers are. Until we girls learn how to be the type of women the Mothers of the Believers were, we will not be able to raise our sons and daughters with the islamic ideals and habits they need to become men and women. We will need to emulate the Mothers of the Believers in order for our children to be proper Believers. All of us are stuck in a sad cycle that must be broken...and will be inshaAllah.

Alhamdulillah, DDG is an amazing idea. The DDG ideas that were listed in the last post reminded me of some other ideas that the sisters were throwing around during lunch last saturday. I dont know if they have already been mentioned in another thread or not:
- Hospital/NursingHome visits
- Homeless Shelter visits
- Visiting Islamic schools and giving presentations on the lives of the
Khulafaa
- Putting together a children's book on the lives of the Khulafaa and
getting it published under the Durbah name.

WasalaamuAlaikum

“The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than the weak believer, though there is good in both. Be avid for that which benefits you. Rely on Allah and do not deem yourself incapable…”
--Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
[Muslim, Ibn Majah, and Ahmad]
Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #7
Abu Hurayrah

My MSA is doing some of these activities this quarter, in shaa Allaah, so I've become a little familiar with these "adoption" programs.

Basically, when you or an organization "adopts" an area, such as a portion of a highway or a natural area, you devote yourself to cleaning and maintaining that portion of land, and in that way you are adopting such-and-such area.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:15 PM   #8
Sumaira Toor

I like the idea of focusing on some type of social work issue, such as cleaning up town rivers, highways, or even planting flowers beds around towns. People are always asking, "Where are the Muslims?" so this will show them that we are right here and we too care about the environment and betterment of our community.

Just an example of this: Rutgers-Newark MSA co-sponsered an NJPIRG (this is an environmental club) river cleanup, but I was the only Muslim who was able to make it to the cleanup. The next day though, I overheard two people from NJPIRG saying, "Yeah, and even the MSA came out and helped!" If they have that reaction with just one Muslim showing up, imagine their response if our whole tribe shows up AND we talk Islam while we're out there.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #9
sasjamal

Thats what people do in america when they wanna do something good.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:51 PM   #10
MrEspy78

Let's make a difference in our communities...da'wah booths do not make a difference...they might have a slight impact for the duration of it...but nothing longlasting...

More Ideas...

Literacy Volunteers of America...
If a group does this regularly and in mass...it will get noticed...it will make a difference...we will be known as those "good" muslims...not those "troublesome", let's get that MOSQUE out of OUR neighborhood Muslims...

I personally like Adopt a River Program, let's clean up the land...and our hearts while we're at it...

DDG - Promoting Clean Rivers & Clean Hearts...

btw - has anyone seen AzZubair??? Are you on these posts ???