Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Institute Main Administration > Marketing AlMaghrib

Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
Atif
Qabeelat Wasat

Re: Drowning in acronyms: what happened to brand integrity?

Ok I understand that's for classes, but I'm still going to refer to Sh. Yasir as Sh. YQ, Sh. Yaser as Sh. YB, and Sh. AbdulBary as Sh. ABY.

My daleel is that hadith textbooks refer to the Imams of Hadeeth with initials (daal for Abu Dawood, qaaf for ibn majah, taa for tirmidhi, etc.). So I will do the same
Atif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:18 PM   #12
iss ME! zahweee!
Qabeelat Tayybah

an excellent point.. i'll be more careful now insha-Allah
Wheresoever you may be, Allah will bring you all together.
Indeed Allah is Able to do all things.
[2:148]
. . .
PrOuD MeMBeR of IbnFaqih's 60
iss ME! zahweee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #13
Umm Salma
Ameerah, Qabeelat Ruhma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atif
Ok I understand that's for classes, but I'm still going to refer to Sh. Yasir as Sh. YQ, Sh. Yaser as Sh. YB, and Sh. AbdulBary as Sh. ABY.

My daleel is that hadith textbooks refer to the Imams of Hadeeth with initials (daal for Abu Dawood, qaaf for ibn majah, taa for tirmidhi, etc.). So I will do the same
I'm going to have to disagree. I think it's universally understood that those letters refer to the scholars of hadith, but not everyone may understand what YQ or YB, or even what ABY stands for because not everyone knows who these shuyookh are. Is it really that hard to type out Yasir Qadhi or even Shaykh Yasir Q?

I'm all for it... DOWN WITH ACRONYMS! That also includes writing "assalamu alaikum" opposed to ASA, writing "jazakallahu khairan" opposed to JZK, and especially writing "sal Allahu 'alaihi wa sallam" rather than SAW.

"...And for those who fear Allah, He will make their path easy." [Al-Quran Al-Kareem: Surah At-Talaaq Ayat 4]

"When you see a person who has been given more than you in money and beauty, look to those who have been given less."
-
Imam Muslim
Umm Salma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:21 PM   #14
Dawud Israel
Qabeelat Majd

This is like... the marketing version of amir bil maruf wa nahi anil munkar !

QuranJam.com

MUSLIMOLOGY: Dawah Research and Development

Subhânaka-llâhumma wa bi-hamdika. Ash’hadu al-lâ ilâha illâ anta wahdaka lâ sharîka lak. Astaghfiruka wa atűbu ilayk. Ameen.
“Glory and praise be to You. I testify that there is no God but You alone without partner. I beseech Your forgiveness and repent to You.”

Dawud Israel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Arif K.
Ameer, Qabeelat Nurayn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm Salma

I'm all for it... DOWN WITH ACRONYMS! That also includes writing "assalamu alaikum" opposed to ASA, writing "jazakallahu khairan" opposed to JZK, and especially writing "sal Allahu 'alaihi wa sallam" rather than SAW.

Awesome; fully fully agree. I found this hotkey app that allows me to write long words with just initials (ex. 'asawrwb' automatically becomes Assalamu Alaikum Wa Rahmatullahi Wa Barkatuahu). I think I should just write something up on this so that ppl will start saying ASA cuz that annoys me a LOT (I automatically read Aa Saa when someone writes it lol)

Qabeelat Nurayn

Ummul-Qabā'il

DC | Maryland | Virginia

Collector's Edition: Sahih Bukhari

Shaykh Yasir Qadhi | Jan. 6-8, 2012
| University of Maryland, College Park
Register Today!
Arif K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Al Baraa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhammad Alshareef
"Are you going to attend PP?"
lol. That just sounds wrong :P