Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Precious Provisions: Fiqh of Food and Clothing - FQH 302

Old 04-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
AbdulBasit
Ummat Muhammad

Question Lowering pants below the ankle EVEN out of habit/custom

If Isbaal (lowering one's pants below the ankle) is done out of pride, conceit or arrogance [or possibly even the trend nowadays that one looks 'cool' when he puts his pants down and lets them drag] - this is Haraam (prohibited) by unanimous consensus!

If, however, the Isbaal is done merely out of habit or custom [because that is just what everyone does] & there's no pride in doing that.... we learned in "Precious Provisions" that the majority position has always been that this is not Haraam, but rather something "disliked" [مكروه].

And they interpret the unconditional texts on this topic, as being restricted or conditional to the texts that mention the Isbaal along with arrogance.

O.k. I agree with this.

But here's where the problem comes in for me: You can do that (the above) for all the texts on this topic mentioning punishment for Isbaal, but what will you do with the following set of authentic hadeeths which are quite explicit:

(1) Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri رضي الله عنه said that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: إزرة المسلم إلى نصف الساق ، ولا حرج ، - أو لا جناح - فيما بينه وبين الكعبين ، ما كان أسفل من الكعبين فهو في النار ، من جر إزاره بطرا لم ينظر الله إليهThe lower garment of the Muslim should come down to the middle of his shin, but there is nothing wrong (or there is no sin on him) if it comes between that point and the ankles. But whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire. Whoever trails his garment on the ground out of pride, Allah will not look at him."

(Recorded by Abu Daawood, no. 4093; verified to be "saheeh" by Imaam An-Nawawi, Al-Mundhiri, Ibn Daqeeq Al-'Eid, Ibn Muflih, Al-Haythami, As-Safaareeni Al-Hanbali, Al-Albaani, Al-Waadi'ee, etc.)

(2) Imaam Ahmad recorded a hadeeth of similar effect, that 'Abdur-Rahmaan Ibn Ya'qoob said: "I asked Abu Sa'eed Al-Khudri: "Did you hear anything from Allah's Messenger صلى الله عليه وسلم concerning the lower garment?" And he said: "Yes, listen! "The lower garment of the believer should come down to the middle of his shin, although there is nothing wrong if it comes between there and the ankles, but whatever is lower than the ankles is in the Fire," and he said it 3 times."

(3) The famous hadeeth in Saheeh Al-Bukhaari [3700] on the story of the "Murder of `Umar Ibn Al-Khattaab"... after he had been stabbed, he was brought to his house, and they tried to give him some drink, but everytime he drank, it would just pour right out of his stomach in front of them -- so he knew that he was about to die. * The people then began to come to visit him & give him words of comfort.

The narrator of this hadeeth, 'Amr Ibn Maymoon said at this point:

وجاء رجل شاب فقال: أبشر يا أمير المؤمنين ببشرى الله لك، من صُحْبَةٍ رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم، وقَدَمٍ في الإسلام ما قد علمت، ثم وُلِّيتَ فَعَدَلْتَ، ثُمَّ شَهَادَة. قال: وددت أن ذلك كفاف لا علي ولا لي، فلما أدبر إذا إزاره يمس الأرض، قال: ردوا علي الغلام، قال: ابن أخي ارفع ثوبك، فإنه أنقى لثوبك، وأتقى لربك

And then, a young man entered into the house and he came to 'Umar and said: "Congratulations Leader of the Believers! Rejoice at Allah's glad tidings to you - because you were blessed (by Allah) with the honor of being a Companion of Allah's Messenger, and you were blessed with superiority in Islaam which you know. Then you were appointed to be our Leader (Caliph) & you ruled with fairness and justice. And now finally you've attained shahaadah [martyrdom]." 'Umar replied: "Oh I just wish that all of these privileges will be able to counterbalance my sins & shortcomings, so that I will neither lose nor gain anything." (I just wish that on the Day of Judgment I can break even)

So then, when the man turned back (to exit the house), his lower garment was touching the ground. 'Umar رضي الله عنه immediately said: "Bring the young man back to me. Call the young man back to me." (When he came back to 'Umar) 'Umar said to him:

"O my nephew! ارْفَعْ ثَوبَكَ Raise your thawb. Lift up your clothes , for undoubtedly this will be purer for your clothes, وأتْقَى لِرَبِّكَ and it will save you from the punishment of your Lord." (from taqwaa - protection)

{So some people come now & use this as "irrefutable" evidence that: Look! Even when he was on the verge of death, the great `Umar was making sure to fulfill his duty/obligation of enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong.}

(4) {Now this following hadeeth is in Saheeh Muslim, no. 2086}'Abdullaah Ibn 'Umar ~ the son of the above 'Umar ~رضي الله عنهما narrates as follows:

مررت على رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم، وفي إزاري استرخاء. فقال [يا عبدالله! ارفع إزارك] فرفعته. ثم قال ( زد ) فزدت. فما زلت أتحراها بعد. فقال بعض القوم: إلى أين؟ فقال: أنصاف الساقين

"I passed by Allah's Messenger and my pants had slipped down. He said, ‘O ‘Abdullaah, pull up your lower garment!’ so I pulled it up. He said, ‘More!’ so I pulled it up more, and I have always made sure that my lower garment was pulled up properly after that [incident]." So some people asked, "To where did you pull it up?" [Where the did the Prophet order you to continue raising your lower garment up to?] He said, "To the middle of the shins."

(5) Anas Ibn Maalik رضي الله تعالى عنه reported that the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: الإزار إلى نصف الساق "The lower garment should be up to the middle of the shin." فشق عليهم So (after some time) this became difficult and burdensome upon the people. فلما رأى شدة ذلك على المسلمين قال: إلى الكعبين، لا خير فيما أسفل من ذلك So when he صلى الله عليه وسلم saw how hard this was becoming upon the Muslims, he said: "To the ankles." And he said: لا خير فيما أسفل من ذلك "There is no good in what is beneath that."

{The hadeeth was recorded by Ahmad & others; verified to be "saheeh" by Noor-ud-Deen Al-Haythami, and Al-Mundhiri as well as Shaykh Al-Albaani who said about it: إسناده صحيح على شرط الشيخين "Its chain is authentic according to the criteria of the Two Shaykhs [Al-Bukhaari and Muslim]."}

(6) 'Ubayd Ibn Khaalid Al-Muhaarabi رضي الله عنه narrates that one day he was walking down the street in Madeenah --

بينا أنا أمشي بالمدينة إذا إنسان خلفي يقول: ارفع إزارك فإنه أتقى، فإذا هو رسول الله، فقلت: يا رسول الله إنما هي بردة ملحاء، قال: أما لك في أسوة. فنظرت فإذا إزاره إلى نصف ساقيه

"One time, when I was walking in Madeenah - a person behind me called out to me saying, "Raise your lower garment, for it is closer to taqwa." I turned around to find that that person was the Messenger of Allah! So I said to him, "O Allah's Messenger, this is merely a malhaa' cloth (very low quality garment)." [i.e. I have no pride in this] The Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم said: "Don't you find in me a beautiful example?" So I looked at the Prophet and found that his lower garment ended in the middle of his calves."

[Verified to be "saheeh" by Al-Albaani in Mukhtasar Ash-Shamaa'il, no. 97; also see As-Safaareeni Al-Hanbali's comments on this hadeeth in his شرح ثلاثيات مسند الإمام أحمدa, 1/85.]

So my question (obviously) is: What do we do with this set of Ahaadeeth, which seem to leave no room for further dispute on this topic (?)
i.e. do we have to make sure our lower garments are above our ankles [at the very least; that is the bare minimum requirement], but it's better for us to keep them at the middle of the shins, following the example the Prophet. (?) {And at the very least, can we say that "there is more reward" in doing this [keeping the lower garment at the shins], following the 'uswah' of Allah's Messenger [especially due to the last hadeeth quoted above] ?}
"The graves of sinners from the People of Sunnah is a garden, while the graves of the pious ascetics from the People of Innovation is a barren pit. The sinners among Ahlus-Sunnah are the Friends of Allaah, while the pious among Ahlul-Bid'ah are the Enemies of Allaah."
-- Quote from the great Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal (رحمه الله).
قبورُ أهل السنة من أهل الكَبَائِرِ روضة, وقبورُ أهْل البِدَعِ مِنَ الزهاد حُفرَة, فُسَّاقُ أهل السنة أولياء الله, وزُهَّادُ أهل البِدْعَة أعْداء الله

Last edited by AbdulBasit; 04-10-2010 at 03:13 AM.
AbdulBasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
AbdulBasit
Ummat Muhammad

Question Re: Lowering pants below the ankle EVEN out of habit/custom

The words of our Prophet Muhammad [إزرة المسلم إلى نصف الساق]: "The lower garment of the Muslim, is up to the middle of the shin."

Some even argue that the Messenger of Allah صلى الله عليه وسلم - right here - clearly made this a ramz, a Mark, a Sign of the Muslim. * This is one of the signs, one of the marks, by which to recognize and distinguish a Muslim amongst others. His lower garment is to the middle of his shins.

And [now that I sincerely reflect on this] I (personally) am starting to think that this would indeed, really, apply nowadays - in a society where you would hardly see anybody like this (with their pants above their ankles). Very rare! Everybody's dragging their pants below their ankles. So wouldn't this apply in such a situation (even more so)?

+ Yes, I know that in some, rather a lot of situations (business, work, jobs, etc) one may not be able to do this, however why do we try to come now & say that this is totally o.k. and good and permissible, and there is no need at all to keep our pants above our ankles (especially in this culture we're living) -- ignoring the clear-cut statement of our Role Model, our Prophet: "The lower garment of the Muslim is up to the middle of the shin."

So when would this hadeeth apply? Or does it not apply anymore to us "Muslims" here in America?
"The graves of sinners from the People of Sunnah is a garden, while the graves of the pious ascetics from the People of Innovation is a barren pit. The sinners among Ahlus-Sunnah are the Friends of Allaah, while the pious among Ahlul-Bid'ah are the Enemies of Allaah."
-- Quote from the great Imaam Ahmad Ibn Hanbal (رحمه الله).
قبورُ أهل السنة من أهل الكَبَائِرِ روضة, وقبورُ أهْل البِدَعِ مِنَ الزهاد حُفرَة, فُسَّاقُ أهل السنة أولياء الله, وزُهَّادُ أهل البِدْعَة أعْداء الله
AbdulBasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:45 AM   #3
Abdullaah
Qabeelat Mass

Re: Lowering pants below the ankle EVEN out of habit/custom

I always get confused with this aswell.

Some say yes some say no and then you see all these hadith which Abdul Basit posted(jzk) and you think yes should be above the ankle?

I better say more astagfar for the 'penny to drop'

www.iwantjannah.org

Abdullaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:06 AM   #4
IbnMasood
Qabeelat Majd

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdulBasit
If Isbaal (lowering one's pants below the ankle) is done out of pride, conceit or arrogance [or possibly even the trend nowadays that one looks 'cool' when he puts his pants down and lets them drag] - this is Haraam (prohibited) by unanimous consensus!
Well that's clearly wrong as there is not a unanimous consensus on it. There is a legitimate difference of opinion that exists on the issue, which is important to understand for those of us who are keen to advise others (regardless of the end ruling which we seek to apply for ourselves).
IbnMasood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
khanman1
Qabeelat Durbah

A key thing to remember about what Shaykh YQ said in class was that no where in the world, especially in the west, is a pant below the ankles interpreted to be a sign of showing off or arrogance. It is not the rich who do it anymore, it is not seen as a sign of pride any longer (in fact the richer you are, the smaller the clothing - hence the "beach body" syndrome thatmost celebrities have or want).

And if you take all the hadith that you mentioned along with the ahadith about Abu bakr (r.a.), there is nothing contradictory. Was Abu Bakr (r.a.) the lone exception to this rule for the entire ummah or was it that the prophet (s.a.w.) knew for sure that the pants of Abu Bakr (r.a.) going below his ankles would not be interpreted by anyone as a sign of arrogance / pride ?

WALLAHU AALAM
Old 04-11-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
Massoud
Qabeelat Majd

Assalamu Alaikum.

It is amazing that how nowadays everybody is doing the opposite of this command. a great deal of people in this way! Men are wearing below the ankes and women are wearing above! Shaitan has somehow deceived people with this!

Whatever leads to Hell is Haram, and we know the ruling on this case . . . If one wears it with pride, then it is even worse!

It's also an imitation of women in the matter . . . They are supposed to wear their clothing and garments like that.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalamu Alaikum.
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, 'Whatever I have commanded you, do it, and whatever I have forbidden you, refrain from it.'" (Sunan Ibn Majah *, vol. 1, Chapter 1, p. 73, Hadith number 1; Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i and Sheikh Al-Albani)

* Darussalam Publishers (5 volumes, 2007), translated by Nasiruddin Khattab.

Look at how Imam Ibn Majah started his Sunan; he has shown great respect to the commands of the Prophet (peace be upon him) . . .
Massoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #7
Yusuf513Khan
Banu Hayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbnMasood
Well that's clearly wrong as there is not a unanimous consensus on it. There is a legitimate difference of opinion that exists on the issue, which is important to understand for those of us who are keen to advise others (regardless of the end ruling which we seek to apply for ourselves).
From what I remember in class....
  • there is unanimous consensus that if done out of pride/arrogance/etc. it's haraam. period. (which Bro. Abdul-Basit stated).
  • The ikhtilaf is when it's not done out of arrogance (which is Bro. Abdul-Basit's contention).
Is that what we mean? or do you have some evidence to the contrary?

“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”

So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.”

So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into the lap of the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam out of joy.

The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?”

I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”

He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer.”
[Reported in 'Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman' (1875), and it is in 'as-Silsilah as-Sahihah' (2254)]
Yusuf513Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #8
IbnMasood
Qabeelat Majd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusuf513Khan
From what I remember in class....
  • there is unanimous consensus that if done out of pride/arrogance/etc. it's haraam. period. (which Bro. Abdul-Basit stated).
  • The ikhtilaf is when it's not done out of arrogance (which is Bro. Abdul-Basit's contention).
Is that what we mean? or do you have some evidence to the contrary?
Whoops yes my bad, I missed out on that detail.
IbnMasood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
merajs1
Ummat Muhammad

Assalaamualaikum wa rahmatullah wa barkatuhu

Difference of Opinion:

1) It is haram to lower the garment below the ankle out of pride or custom. (Minority Opinion)

2) It is haram to lower the garment below the ankle out of pride and mukruh to lower it out of custom. (Majority Opinion) (4 Madhabs + Ibn-Thaimiyyah)

3) Cultural significance of Isbal was well understood by scholars so It is haram to lower the garment below the ankle out of pride but acceptable to lower it in this society and culture. (Minority Opinion)
e.g. a) The question asked by Abu Bakar (ra)
b) The act of Imam Abu Hanifa (rahA)
c) Lowering of garment by Ibn-Masood to cover deformity of legs. (He was the narrator of most of the hadith about Isbal.

(A) In today's times when no one is doing it, to practice Isbal in this society or a similar culture may bring element of pride in our hearts.

All the above information is taken from the notes for "Precious Provisions, Fiqh of Food and Clothing. by Shaykh Yasir Qadhi."

I think for mothers of the believers we put radhi Allahu anha.

JazakAllah Khayr
Meraj Shaikh
merajs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #10
Imran U.
Ummat Muhammad

The issue was brought about because people used to wear clothes below their ankles out of arrogance and to show off their wealth ( lower clothes = more clothes = more money)

However nowadays, people don't do that.
Imran U. is offline   Reply With Quote