Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Divine Link: Fiqh of Salah - FQH 201

Old 06-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
BrotherinIslam3000
Ummat Muhammad

Can you make Dua During Salah in any language or does it have to be in arabic

I was told once that you have to make dua in arabic during salah. So I was wodering can someone make dua in any language during salah. The reason I ask is that I am not native arabic speaker and its hard sometimes. I know I should learn arabic but inshaAllah make dua brothers/sisters that I am able to learn arabic but in the meantime can I make my duas in other languages when dealing with specific situations that I do not know how to translate to arabic.

Masalama

Last edited by BrotherinIslam3000; 01-01-2011 at 01:06 AM.
BrotherinIslam3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
Sr.Sara
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Can you make Dua During Salah in any language or does it have to be in arabic.

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatUllahi wa barakatuh,

I recall from Divine Link that it is the opinion of Shaykh Yaser hafidhahUllah that one should make du'a only in Arabic in the Fard salawaat, but may make du'a in a language other than Arabic in any salah other than the faraa'idh.

As far as the evidence regarding it, as I understand, because there is a lack of explicit evidence that would clarify this issue, the above opinion is insha'Allah, a safe medium between the two opinions that it is never allowed to make du'a in other than Arabic or it is allowed without exception to make du'a in other than Arabic.

Please correct me if I am mistaken.
Wa Allahu ta'ala A'lam.
wa salaamu alaikum

Abd Allah b. Shawdhab (d. 157 AH/774 CE) said,

"Verily, it is from the happiness of a youth or a foreigner that Allah guides them to a scholar from Ahl as-Sunnah."
al-Laalikaa'ee in Sharh Usoolul - I'tiqaad (no.30)

Sr.Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #3
Mostafa4rmNW
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Can you make Dua During Salah in any language or does it have to be in arabic.

As Salaamu Alykum,

I have recently finished the first week of the Fiqh of Salah in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Alhamdulilah, it is an amazing class!

I thought the opinion of Shykh Yaser Birjas was that you could recite Du'a in english in Sujood regardless of what kind of prayer it is, just as long as you recite the Wajib (Subhannall Rabi Al-'Ala). (Fard or Nafl) Wallahu 'Alim.
Mostafa4rmNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
BrotherinIslam3000
Ummat Muhammad

Dear Sister Sara and Brother Mostafa,

Jazakallah for the reply to my post. Its very interesting because I keep getting differing answers for both points. I am in the assumption after having spoken to a student of knowledge is that: The Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him) never said we MUST do Dua in Arabic. He however did tell us to make Dua, the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him) is a man who knows how his Ummah will be. He knew that the Ummah will contain members that are of different speaking other than Arabic. He even had Companions learn new languages. Also if something like dua in other language is allowed outside of prayer why is it different inside prayer? Dua is Dua, its between you and Allah and He knows what's in your heart. More help is needed, if anyone can help me understand this better I would greatly appreciate it. Ofcourse doing it in Arabic is best, and InshaAllah I'd like to get there one day but in the meantime I'd like to know more about this.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
Massoud
Qabeelat Majd

Assalamu Alaikum.

Dr. Muhammad Al-Jibaly said:

"It is best to make du'aa with the exact words of the Prophet (peace be upon him). This helps say the most effective and correct words. However, if a person has a specific need or does not know the meaning of the Arabic du'aa, he may supplicate in other languages. All previous prophets and their nations must have supplicated in other than the Arabic language. I do not see why sujood would be an exception to this. Wallaahu a`lam (Allaah knows best)."

Brother Abu Rumaysah said:

"After having made the Adhkaar in Arabic you can make du'aa in your own language."

He wasn't aware of the proof, but recalled reading the fatwa of some Ulema who said it was the opinion of Ibn Taymiyyah.

Perhaps these views are from the Ijtihad of our past scholars.

And Allah knows best.

Wassalamu Alaikum.
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, 'Whatever I have commanded you, do it, and whatever I have forbidden you, refrain from it.'" (Sunan Ibn Majah *, vol. 1, Chapter 1, p. 73, Hadith number 1; Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i and Sheikh Al-Albani)

* Darussalam Publishers (5 volumes, 2007), translated by Nasiruddin Khattab.

Look at how Imam Ibn Majah started his Sunan; he has shown great respect to the commands of the Prophet (peace be upon him) . . .

Last edited by Massoud; 06-21-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Massoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #6
BrotherinIslam3000
Ummat Muhammad

Jazakallah... that helped me a lot brother
Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 AM   #7
peaceman
Ummat Muhammad

Post Re: Can you make Dua During Salah in any language or does it have to be in arabic.

Salam alaikum wrb honored brother,

In order to avoid innovations in the acts of worship, it is best to
stick with arabic in the course of salat.
Perhaps you could ask the shaikh to translate what you are asking for
to arabic, and then memorise and say those words.
peaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Mariam 3:36
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr.Sara
I recall from Divine Link that it is the opinion of Shaykh Yaser hafidhahUllah that one should make du'a only in Arabic in the Fard salawaat, but may make du'a in a language other than Arabic in any salah other than the faraa'idh.
As-salaamu 'alaykum wa rahmat Allah,

I recall the same opinion as Sr. Sara, and Allah knows best. Though I could not find this in my notes, I recall additional rational being (1) avoiding foreign speech in your prayer (i.e. uttering something that is not part of prayer while you are praying) and/or (2) avoiding the risk of unintentionally saying something that is not appropriate (E.g. intending to praise Allah, but unintentionally saying something that is not befitting of Allah's Majesty).

It sounds difficult, yes. Until we've all mastered our Arabic, maybe the challenge will be a source of good because it offers greater encouragement to pray nafl salaah? InshaAllah.

May Allah accept all of your du'aa. Ameen.

and Allah knows best.

أَقُولُ قَوْلِي هذَا وَأَسْتَغْفِرُ اللهَ لِي وَلَكُم

I say this and invoke Allah for forgiveness for me and for you.

Last edited by Mariam 3:36; 07-08-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Mariam 3:36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #9
Yusuf513Khan
Banu Hayl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostafa4rmNW
I thought the opinion of Shykh Yaser Birjas was that you could recite Du'a in english in Sujood regardless of what kind of prayer it is, just as long as you recite the Wajib (Subhannall Rabi Al-'Ala). (Fard or Nafl) Wallahu 'Alim.
This is what I remember him saying as well...و الله أعلم

“Once, when I saw the Prophet in a good mood, I said to him: “O Messenger of Allah! Supplicate to Allah for me!”

So, he said: “O Allah! Forgive ‘A’ishah her past and future sins, what she has hidden, as well as what she has made apparent.”

So, I began smiling, to the point that my head fell into the lap of the Messenger of Allah sal Allahu alayhi wa sallam out of joy.

The Messenger of Allah said to me: “Does my supplication make you happy?”

I replied: “And how can your supplication not make me happy?”

He then said: “By Allah, it is the supplication that I make for my Ummah in every prayer.”
[Reported in 'Sahih Mawarid adh-Dhaman' (1875), and it is in 'as-Silsilah as-Sahihah' (2254)]
Yusuf513Khan is offline   Reply With Quote