Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > Projects > The Book Nook

Old 06-30-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
muslimsis
Ummat Muhammad

quran dictionary-detailed

assalamualikum

im looking for a quranic dictionary which explains each word of the quran in detail (in english) and explains the wisdom behind using one word over another, im not sure if such a thing exists. brother nouman ali explains these kind of things in his talks.

like word to word quran only gives a translation but it doesnt define the meaning of the arabic words.

jazakallahkhair
muslimsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
bint_habibullah
Qabeelat Durbah

Re: quran dictionary-detailed

Wa alaikum as salaam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu.

I am not sure of a book that does that, but I know of a course that does. AlHuda Institute's Taleem AlQuran course is amazing and teaches people the meaning of each word of the Quran in detail along with tafseer of the ayaat. It goes into the root words and slowly teaches you grammar as well.

It has a full-time course option and many different part-time course options as well. I've been in a part time course since March of 2009 and really I would recommend it to anyone! To check out the course timings go to alhudaonlinecourses [dot] com.

They use their own word to word juz sets and have blank pages in between for taking notes. Hope that helps!

AlMaghrib Institute
Qabeelat Durbah Campus
Class of 2012 in sha Allah

What will you accomplish in 3 years?
bint_habibullah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Massoud
Qabeelat Majd

Assalamu Alaikum.

I don't know if there is such a work that answers your quiery specifically, but there is an excellent work by the title Learning Arabic Language of the Qur'an which was just published by Darussalam last month. It may be very useful for all of us because it "imparts knowledge of the Qur'anic Arabic," as stated by the publisher . . .

Throughout this book there are so many charts highlighting the meanings of words found greatly in the Qur'an, so this book at least partially may address the quiery.

Wassalamu Alaikum.
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, 'Whatever I have commanded you, do it, and whatever I have forbidden you, refrain from it.'" (Sunan Ibn Majah *, vol. 1, Chapter 1, p. 73, Hadith number 1; Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i and Sheikh Al-Albani)

* Darussalam Publishers (5 volumes, 2007), translated by Nasiruddin Khattab.

Look at how Imam Ibn Majah started his Sunan; he has shown great respect to the commands of the Prophet (peace be upon him) . . .
Massoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #4
aqib
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslimsis
assalamualikum

im looking for a quranic dictionary which explains each word of the quran in detail (in english) and explains the wisdom behind using one word over another, im not sure if such a thing exists. brother nouman ali explains these kind of things in his talks.

like word to word quran only gives a translation but it doesnt define the meaning of the arabic words.

jazakallahkhair
Good try. Just as you suspected, there is perhaps none. Give some thirty-some years inshallah

I believe, even in Arabic this information is scattered in some famous classical tafaaseer.

To be more precise, its not only words but the phrases, idioms etc. Often in Quran, a linguist would note hadhf (omission of words) that need to be bring in to complete the meaning according to norm of the arabic rhetorics of that time. This is learned by analyzing the structure of the sentence and this science is known as 'iraab ul quran. Many arabic books are written related to this subject.

You may consider buying the "verbal idioms of Quran" by Mir for some $24. Search for this title along with "center of middle eastern studies michigan university" and email the secretery that you interested in buying this book. This book addresses just one particular literary characteristic, nevertheless its very insightful. In introduction, its funny how he take aims at some follies rendered in some famous translations.

Also, you may want to have the dictionary by Abbas Nadawi. Iqra publication. Its not to that level that you are looking for though. But treats only words in Quran (in its most famous qirat hafs an asim). Its for the Beginners with minimal information.

If you can read urdu, there is a book "mutradifaat ul quraan" (book of synonyms of words used in quran), It is most close to the description you are saying. I dont know however the quality of this scholarship. My wife just brought me the copy from karachi.

Last edited by aqib; 07-01-2010 at 07:01 PM.
aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:05 AM   #5
nuckcheddy
Ummat Muhammad

As-Salaamu'alaikum
http://www.emuslim.com/Quran/Translation_English.asp
nuckcheddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
Abdul-Qadir
Ummat Muhammad

Assalamualaikum,

I dont know if anyone posted this, but I think this is the best we have so far. May Allah bless the life of this person.

http://linguisticmiracle.com/

Also, use this one if you want to learn arabic easily. You will be amazed at how easy the teacher makes the lessons.

www.understandquran.com

If you will change, everything will change for you. - Jim Rohn

Abdul-Qadir is offline   Reply With Quote