Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > Projects > Qur'an Memorization

Old 08-28-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
mraza1
Qabeelat Noor

Hifdh is not a goal, it's a lifestyle!

I'm sure most of us have heard the idea "____is not a destination, it's a lifestyle" well, I was just thinking yesterday, people make memorizing the quran is goal, the end in and of itself,but it's not a goal, it's a lifestyle. you end up revising constantly!

some of us memorize 2 pages a day, and at the end of the week you have 14 pages to revise, by the end of the month, you have 56 pages to revise! It gets to be a snowball effect when you start out memorizing too much....but we shouldn't do this because it hinders the benefit we get from the keeping the Quran memorize. A lot of people memorize juz after juz, claim to be a hafidh, and then struggle with reciting Surah Qamar, a surah they say they've memorized! so, I think it's better to pace yourself, memorize what you're capable of memorizing regularly and then spending most of your time on revisions....because believe it or not, you'll be revising for the rest of your life..... I mean, i've only memorized juz amma and I claim to have memorized it, but sometimes I cut off surah abasa half way and start reciting some other surah in juz amma and I hardly realize where i've gone wrong!! I think we sometimes forget that the word insaan comes from the word na-see-aa- which means 'to forget' and that's why it takes regular time, effort, and revision to keep the Quran locked in our heads. but we take it the wrong way, we think "if only I could FINISH memorizing the quran!" even tho it's not a goal, it's a life long project we take on, a responsibility.

So anyway I just wanted to share my musings, any comments are welcome insha allah

When you bow down to Allah (SWT) you can stand up to anything!

Rizq Factory
Hajj, Sawm, Zakat, Oaths

Shaykh Waleed Basyouni & Sh. AbdulBary Yahya
July 6-8, 14-15
Orlando, Florida

.: Mariam R. | email: mariam@qnoor.org
http://perfecshunist.livejournal.com
@mariemerald on Twitter: http://twitter.com/mariemerald
mraza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
wesida
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Hifdh is not a goal, it's a lifestyle!

Asslamo alykom,
I think you are very right. once Allah gives you success in memorizing more and more of the Quran you will see that Revision will become harder while memorizing rate will drop in general (at least for me.) Revising is very important, what is the point of memorizing if you forget your old surahs?
We just have to manage our time for revision/memorizing and we will be fine. Of course don't forget to make DUAA for Allah to help you keep the Quran in your heart inshaAllah .
wesida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Massoud
Qabeelat Majd

Really important point made by the sister . . . Here are some important points clarified:

Memorization should be done slowly but consistently:

Umar bin Al-Khattab (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

"Learn the Qur'an five verses at a time, for verily, Jibril used to descend with the Qur'an for the Prophet (peace be upon him) five at a time."

[Bayhaqi in Shu'ab Al-Iman and quoted by As-Suyuti in Al-Itqan, vol. 1, pp. 124-125 (as stated in Usool At-Tafseer, p. 140, by Dr. Abu Ameenah Bilal Philips). As-Suyuti notes, however, that it is authentically established that some passages were revealed ten verses at one time, and on some occasions only a part of a verse would be revealed.]

The concept of Iman which is neglected greatly today:

It was narrated that Jundub bin Abdullah said: "We were with the Prophet (peace be upon him), and we were strong youths, so we learned faith before we learned the Qur'an. Then we learned the Qur'an and our faith increased thereby."

[Sunan Ibn Majah (Darussalam Publishers 2007, translated by Nasiruddin Al-Khattab and edited by Abu Khaliyl) vol. 1, p. 114, Hadith #61. Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i. Hafiz Zubair Ali Za'i quotes Al-Busayri who said (in Misbah Az-Zujajah fi Zawa'id Ibn Majah): "Its chain is authentic, and and its men (narrators) are (all) trustworthy."]
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, 'Whatever I have commanded you, do it, and whatever I have forbidden you, refrain from it.'" (Sunan Ibn Majah *, vol. 1, Chapter 1, p. 73, Hadith number 1; Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i and Sheikh Al-Albani)

* Darussalam Publishers (5 volumes, 2007), translated by Nasiruddin Khattab.

Look at how Imam Ibn Majah started his Sunan; he has shown great respect to the commands of the Prophet (peace be upon him) . . .
Massoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
mraza1
Qabeelat Noor

@weside jazakallah khairun! yeah, I memorized juz amma over several months....then I started baqarah but I'm still struggling with ayahs 13 to 20....I used to consistently memorize an ayah and a day every morning around fajr...now I memorize like every week....and I'm thinking to myself how pitiful...I know that allah (SWT) loves those deeds which are consistent, even if they are small and I'm embarassed that I can't even keep up that schedule of memorzing an ayah a day like I used do I'm still tweaking juz amma to perfection too...but I should be memorizing new lines...and I just can't seem to get something consistent going again...

Rizq Factory
Hajj, Sawm, Zakat, Oaths

July 6-8, 14-15
Orlando, Florida

Old 10-30-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
mraza1
Qabeelat Noor

@massoud jazaka allah khairun for all the hadith details..true true we should limit ourselves to how many ayahs we learn daily...and follow the sunnah...learn it, memorize it, and then apply....which is a great, great feat!! but we have to keep trying insha allah!~

Rizq Factory
Hajj, Sawm, Zakat, Oaths

July 6-8, 14-15
Orlando, Florida

Old 10-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #6
Massoud
Qabeelat Majd

There's no reason to feel bad about even memorizing little; rather there is a great reward for every Ayah.

As for reciting the Qur'an-even if one does not the meaning of what they are reciting-there still is an award. This is due to the following Hadith:

Muhammad Ibn Ka'b Al-Qurazi said: I heard Abdullah bin Mas'ud saying: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: '(Whoever recites a letter) from Allah's Book, then he receives the reward for it, and the reward of ten like of it. I do not say that Alif Lam Mim is a letter, but Alif is a letter, Lam is a letter, and Mim is a letter.'"

[Jami' At-Tirmidhi (Darussalam Publishers 2007, translated and edited by Abu Khaliyl), vol. 5, p. 243-244, Hadith #2910. Abu 'Eisa (At-Tirmidhi) said: "This Hadith is Hasan Sahih Gharib from this route . . ." Classed as Hasan by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i.]

However, it is better for one to sit and comprehend the words of the Qur'an, as this will serve the benefit instead of just merely parroting the words . . . Today many people who have memorized the whole Qur'an do not even understand one word of what they are reciting!

Jazakallahu Khairan for encouraging us to learn the Qur'an in the correct manner, sister. May Allah include you among those described in the following Hadith:

Anas bin Malik narrated: "A man came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) to get a mount, but he (peace be upon him) did not have anything to mount him on with him. So he was led to another person to give him a mount. He came to the Prophet (peace be upon him) to inform him about that and he said: 'Whoever leads to good, he is like the one who does it."

[Jami' At-Tirmidhi (Darussalam Publishers 2007, translated and edited by Abu Khaliyl), vol. 5, pp. 67-68, Hadith #2670. Abu 'Eisa (At-Tirmidhi) said: "This Hadith is Gharib from this route . . ." Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i.]
It was narrated that Abu Hurairah said: "The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said, 'Whatever I have commanded you, do it, and whatever I have forbidden you, refrain from it.'" (Sunan Ibn Majah *, vol. 1, Chapter 1, p. 73, Hadith number 1; Classed as Sahih by Hafiz Abu Tahir Zubair Ali Za'i and Sheikh Al-Albani)

Look at how Imam Ibn Majah started his Sunan; he has shown great respect to the commands of the Prophet (peace be upon him) . . .

Last edited by Massoud; 10-30-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #7
mraza1
Qabeelat Noor

jazak allahu khairun for your kind words......inshallah may we all benefit from good advice and the hadith you referenced.....

Rizq Factory
Hajj, Sawm, Zakat, Oaths

July 6-8, 14-15
Orlando, Florida

Old 11-13-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Massoud
Qabeelat Majd

Insha-Allah . . .