Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Seminars > Code of Scholars: Usool al-Fiqh - USL 201

Old 10-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
m zahra
Ummat Muhammad

Touching Quran without Wudhoo

Are we allowed to touch and read from the Quran without Wudoo? Please quote evidence from Hadeeth and narrations . . .

Can a menstruating woman touch as well as a non-Muslim?
m zahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #2
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Re: Touching Quran without Wudhoo

Assalam Alaikum

1) A person can recite Quran (from memory) without having wudu'.

2) The scholars have differed on whether a person can touch the Quran and read from it (while holding it) without having wudu'.

3) The scholars have differed on whether or not a menstruating woman can touch the Quran and read from it.

4) It is not permissible for a non-muslim to touch the Quran, but a non-muslim can touch the translation of the Quran.
Abd- Allah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 03:19 AM   #3
Ali 22
Qabeelat Al-Shams

in sheikh yasir qadhi's basic fiqh cd, he said there are 3 things u need wudu for:

1. touching the qur'an, 2. making tawaaf, and 3. praying salah
Old 12-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
aqib
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd- Allah
Assalam Alaikum

2) The scholars have differed on whether a person can touch the Quran and read from it (while holding it) without having wudu'.

4) It is not permissible for a non-muslim to touch the Quran, but a non-muslim can touch the translation of the Quran.
Assalaamu alaikum Abd-Allah,

on 4), what if nonmuslim has an ability to understand the arabic of the book of Allah, how would this opinion apply

and on 2) whats the evidence scholars use to prohibit touching Mus'haf without wudu

Jazakullah khairun
aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqib
Assalaamu alaikum Abd-Allah,

on 4), what if nonmuslim has an ability to understand the arabic of the book of Allah, how would this opinion apply

and on 2) whats the evidence scholars use to prohibit touching Mus'haf without wudu

Jazakullah khairun
Wa alaikum assalam warahmatullah

4) A non-muslim is not allowed to touch the Quran in Arabic (the mus-haf), regardless of whether he understands Arabic or not. If he wants to read or hear the Quran, then he can listen to its recitation or read it online or from a book that contains some verses but is not the actual mus-haf itself (such as a tafsir which usually contains more text of the tafsir than the text of the Quran). But a non-muslim is not allowed to touch the actual mus-haf.

2) The evidence that some scholars use to prohibit touching the mus-haf without wudu is the hadith:

“No one should touch the Qur’an except one who is taahir (pure).”

However, where some scholars differed with them about this regarding the meaning of the word "taahir" or pure, because it can mean pure having wudu, or it can mean pure from janabah, or it can mean pure as in believer. So it is not explicit that pure means having wudu.

There is another hadith that says:

narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: “I was met by the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and I was junub. He took my hand and I walked with him until he sat down. Then I slipped away and washed myself (ghusl), then I came to where he was sitting. He said, ‘Where were you, O Abu [Hurayrah]?’ I told him, and he said, ‘Subhaan-Allaah, O Abu [Hurayrah]!, the believer does not become impure.” (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, al-Ghusl, 276; Muslim, al-Hayd, 556).

so some scholars took the word "pure" in the first hadith above to mean having wudu, while others took it to mean pure from janabah. So they differed on the meaning of the word "pure" here and what it refers to, that is why they differed on the ruling of whether wudu is required to touch the mus-haf or not.

Additionally, there is no other hadith which mentions explicitly that one needs to have wudu to touch the mus-haf, that is why the scholars differed because each based his ruling on his own understanding and interpretation of the word "pure" in the above mentioned hadith.

There is also a verse from the Quran which some people use sometimes as proof for requiring wudu to touch the mus-haf, but that verse is actually talking about the angels so it is not relevant to this issue and does not constitute proper proof.

However, it is better to have wudu when touching the mus-haf or reading from it, not to mention that it is better to always have wudu in general, regardless of touching the mus-haf or not.
Old 12-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #6
aqib
Ummat Muhammad

assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullahayee wa barakaatuhu

jazakullah khairun for your response. May Allah increase your knowledge.

I will appreciate if you can quote ahadith in the original text (arabic) in future. It would help me associate with the actual wordings that scholars have differed about.

At this point, if its easier you can respond to my questions. If not, i will read on my own inshallah. But anyhow i will mention some of the things that I am still not sure about

For the following hadith, whats the context behind it.
“No one should touch the Qur’an except one who is taahir (pure).”

and what is meant here by touching the Qur'an?

I will give an example. In the following ayah, I believe the accepted explanation is that the quran in fajr here refers to salatul fajr which is marked by long reading of the ayahs of the Quran

أَقِمِ ٱلصَّلَوٰةَ لِدُلُوكِ ٱلشَّمۡسِ إِلَىٰ غَسَقِ ٱلَّيۡلِ وَقُرۡءَانَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ*ۖ إِنَّ قُرۡءَانَ ٱلۡفَجۡرِ كَانَ مَشۡہُودً۬ا (٧٨

At the time of the prophet, you dont expect to find suhoof (or other material such as bones etc.) on which verses of the Qur'an written available readily everywhere. The experience of touching of 'quran' thru those parchment, bones etc by the few select kaatibaan al-wahy is not same as the time we are living

Also, about the following statement
> 4) A non-muslim is not allowed to touch the Quran in Arabic (the mus-haf), regardless of whether he understands Arabic or not. If he wants to read or hear the Quran, then he can listen to its recitation or read it online or from a book that contains some verses but is not the actual mus-haf itself (such as a tafsir which usually contains more text of the tafsir than the text of the Quran). But a non-muslim is not allowed to touch the actual mus-haf.

Realistically speaking, in the time we are living, you have nonmuslim professors in classical arabic who may have better understanding of the miraculous language of the Quran than most of us. Whats the evidence one may use to limit their access to Quran and thus putting undue restrictions.

and just as you were referring to the verse in al-waaqiah, i agree with you that there is no need to take it out of context.

Last edited by aqib; 12-23-2010 at 11:59 AM.
aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:54 AM   #7
Abd- Allah
Ummat Muhammad

Wa alaikum assalam warahmatullah wa barakatuhu akhi

this is the wording of the hadith in Arabic.

أن النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم كتب إلى أهل اليمن كتابا . و فيه : لا يمس القرآن إلا طاهر

The context is that the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him sent a letter to the people of Yemen, and included in it was his statement that “No one should touch the Qur’an except one who is taahir (pure).”

Although the Quran was not yet compiled until after the death of the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him, but parts of it was written down during his life time, and not only on bones because they had other things that they used to write on as well. Even if there wasn't a lot of them, but this was the ruling that “No one should touch the Qur’an except one who is taahir (pure).”

As for non-muslims touching the mus-haf, then it doesn't matter how great their understanding of the Arabic language is, this is a ruling which we should accept regardless of other factors, and such rulings in Islam do not change with time or place.

The evidence is from this hadith itself that “No one should touch the Qur’an except one who is taahir (pure).” Regardless of what we interpret the meaning of "pure" to be, it applies to a non-muslim who combines all forms of not being pure, whether it is not having wudu, or not doing the ghusl from janabah, or not being a believer and a muslim. Also in the Quran it mentions that the mushrikeen are najas, so if they are impure then this hadith applies to them and they are not allowed to touch the Arabic Quran.

Does that answer some of the things which you were not clear about?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:50 PM   #8
aaqil.Mujahid
Qabeelat Al-Shams

both opinions are right
shafi'i - no wudu
hanafi - wudu
dont know bout malik and hanbal
both opinions have a same evidence from the qur'an - but different but correct interpretations,

ill post more + the quote soon inshallah

- N o _ Deity Worthy of Worship _ Except _ A l l a h -

It has been narrated by Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) That Allah's Messenger Muhammad Said:

“ The strong is not the one who over comes the people by his strength”
"But the strong is the one who controls him while in anger."

[Bukhari]
The prophet (pbuh):

"You will not enter Paradise until you have faith, and you will not have faith until you love each other. Shall I direct you to something which if you fulfill you will love one another? Spread peace among yourselves"

(Muslim)
aaqil.Mujahid is offline   Reply With Quote