Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Institute Main Administration > AlMaghrib Institute Discussion

Old 12-20-2004, 11:05 PM   #1
Muhammad IbnFaqih
Instructor, AlMaghrib Institute

Lightbulb Islamic Theory of Ethics

Your inputs and suggestions for the class are NOW welcomed…

Last edited by Muhammad IbnFaqih; 12-21-2004 at 05:06 PM.
Muhammad IbnFaqih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:24 AM   #2
Abu MishMish

Re: Islamic Theory of Ethics

Remove the word "Theory" - from the title.

What do you have in your mind for the class?
Old 12-21-2004, 10:55 AM   #3
Mandarina

In my experience, when Muslims hear 'akhlaaq' they think "smiling, being kind, being soft" etc. So, when they hear that Muhammad s.a.w.s. came to perfect our akhlaaq, they think of perfection of our manners with other people. Our manners with Allah (obaying Him, loving Him, worshiping Him properly, staying away from His prohibitions etc.) are something that we just don't connect with akhlaaq. However, akhlaaq actually starts with our manners with our Creator. Shaykh Abu Ammar actually has some lectures out in which he talks about akhlaaq and he - in my experience - pioneers in pointing out that akhaaq is not only being kind to people but it has this other dimention which we tend to forget about. So, my hope is that after taking this class, students first think of their manners with Allah (not people) whenever they hear word 'akhlaaq.'

Wallahu a'alam.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:00 PM   #4
Shirien
Qabeelat Durbah

how about ethics when dealing with non-muslims and certian situations
As for killing time, since when is time an enemy that you should strive to kill?! Time is your breath, it is your lifetime and the moments of your life which you could fill with thousands and millions of hasanaat. It is sufficient for you to say Subhaan Allaah wa bi hamdihi (Glory and praise be to Allaah) once, and a palm tree will be planted for you in Paradise, so how many gardens have you failed to plant? How many hasanaat have you lost? (Islam QA)

w w w . b a y y i n a h . c o m / d r e a m
Shirien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:20 PM   #5
Al-Amanah

I do not think of manners when I think of this issue. Many people have “manner” yet they lie, cheat, envy, etc.

I think of humbleness, honor, truthfulness, trust in Allah, one who is thankful to Allah always, etc…one who does NOT have arrogance, envy, etc.

It’s amazing, some brothers have this noor around them (that might sound weird), there have been people I don’t know anything about them, I had yet to hear them speak, yet the first time I see them I feel there is this light around them…there humbleness, etc shows in their actions, in their basic movements and in their eyes. They seem to have complete trust and satisfaction in everything Allah destined for them..

And once you meet them and know them…it becomes even more clear.

Alhamdulillaah, all of us are Muslims…some have reached the level of Mu’mins and have a small level of akhlaaq…yet I believe that the ultimate example and implantation of Akhlaaq is found in the Muhsins.
Old 12-21-2004, 04:59 PM   #6
Muhammad IbnFaqih
Instructor, AlMaghrib Institute

Smile Re: Islamic Theory of Ethics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu MishMish
Remove the word "Theory" - from the title.

What do you have in your mind for the class?
I need to know what you have in mind first! I'll reveal my points after I hear from everyone.
I think I should set a deadline. 11/29/1425H.

Why take "Theory" out?!
Muhammad IbnFaqih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 05:18 PM   #7
ibs81

Manners with Parents/Family.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:46 PM   #8
Shad

Shaykh ash-Shamaa'il Feerjeeniya Muhammad ibn Faqih!

I'm a little rusty on my Hijri-CE conversion nowadays, so what would the deadline date be, according to the Common Era calendar?

I've got some thoughts on this subject, in sha Allah, that I'll share in a little while. But for the time being, just know that MUBARAK is SUPER DUPER EXCITED to have you come here (even though it's still about a year away..d'oh!). We can't wait for the reviews and in sha Allah, for your return to your "roots" here in VA

Your brother & student,
Shad
Old 12-21-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
loveallah1

I understand this class to be more about ethics which ties in with manners and character, but is different. The book 'Ethics of Disagreement" comes to mind. I would think that this class is more about the value system.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #10
Hasan

As-salaamu 'alaikum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakatuh!

Glad to see you so active on the forums, ya shaykh!

As with all AlMaghrib seminars, it should be focused on practicality. I've heard many lectures on the importance of good aklaaq, but rarely have I heard lectures focusing on pratical things we should implement which fall under good akhlaaq. Or how to really change our character for the better.
Goad to action.