Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Durbah

Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 PM   #1
Sumaira Toor

Sisters - North Jersey Study Session 1

The sisters of North Jersey could not really come to a consensus on when to meet for study sessions. So we are going to give online/forum studying a try. Since this study session will be run through the forums, anyone and everyone is welcome to partake in it.

So, how exactly will the study session work?

-Every Saturday I will post an assignment indicating which pages we all should study from the binder.

- The assigned pages must be studied by the following Saturday and the North Jersey sisters MUST check-in every Saturday to confirm that they have studied those pages and others are welcome but not obligated to do the same.

- During the week you are studying, fill in any gaps in your notes by using the recommended readings, one of which is online and matches our binder notes quite closely (Fiqh Us-Sunnah, Purification and Prayers - http://www.usc.edu/dept/MSA/law/fiqhussunnah/)

- After you have studied, filled in as many gaps in your notes, and checked-in to confirm all this, the thread will be open for discussion and further help with filling in gaps to our notes all day Saturday.

-By the evening, after check-in and discussion, I will post the next pages we should study in a new thread.

* Most study sessions are about cooperative learning but as you can see this one will be more about independent studying (although there will be some online discussion), which requires self-discipline. If you take part in this study session please take it as an opportunity to discipline and train yourself to be more focused. Set up a schedule for yourself and give yourself 20 minutes a day (for example) to study.

This study session will either bomb or fly. InshaAllah letís give it wings.

Assignment > Due Saturday, January 29, 2005
- Study binder notes, pages 1-16, until Chapter on Purification for Prayer.

- Read the long answer questions. 1 out of the 3 will definitely be on the exam. As you are studying your notes, please keep the long answer questions in mind and take notes to help you prepare those answers.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Sumaira Toor

Re: Sisters - North Jersey Study Session 1

And just to prepare you all ahead of the time, the rest of the study session assignments will be as follows:

February 5th > Pages 17-34

February 12th > Pages 35-61 until Raising of Hands in Prayer. On this day we will also acutally meet (sisters only) at ICPC at 10:00am.

February 19th > Pags 61-end of binder

February 26th > Review, Long Answers, and Practice Test.

* Remember when studying to focus on the daleels for each opinion and while we do not have to memorize any hadith word for word with the chain of narration, we must be able to show general familiarity/knowledge of a hadith in order to support any one opinion.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #3
maryam rabeea

assalaamualaikum
in the categories of fiqh rulings
1) fard=wajib, except abu hanifah differentiates between fard and wajib. the explanation on this part is missing in my notes can somebody help me?
Old 01-29-2005, 03:31 PM   #4
Abdul Majeed
Qabeelat Durbah

Post Re: Sisters - North Jersey Study Session 1

Oops mistake, sorry.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:33 PM   #5
sabah

Post Re: Sisters - North Jersey Study Session 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryam rabeea
assalaamualaikum

in the categories of fiqh rulings

1) fard=wajib, except abu hanifah differentiates between fard and wajib. the explanation on this part is missing in my notes can somebody help me?
Assalaamu Alaikum,

Here is what I have in my notes for that:

Waajib and fard is the same thing according to the majority of scholars except for Abu Hanifa who separated the two. He said they are two different things because fard is stricter or stronger. And Waajib is something that has proof that is certain. From issues in the Quran concerning prayer, there are some points where Allah shows something that is clear and there is no way you can say that this means something else. For example, when Allah says, "Worship Allah," there is no second opinion concerning that. So when there is no differences between scholars in understanding a certain issue then it is considered fard according to Abu Hanifa. But if there is the possibility of two meanings of an issue even if one of the proofs is stronger, then he calls it waajib.

If I made a mistake, someone please correct it for me and May Allah forgive me. I pray this helps.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
Sumaira Toor

I'm done studying the required pages. Who else is done?

I have some gaps in my notes. Can anyone fill me in?

[1] Page 10, Issue #4 > I don't have the names of the whoe held the 2nd and 3rd opinions

[2] Page 12, Issue #6 > What is the Third Opinion?
Old 01-29-2005, 11:08 PM   #7
Jannah

Just finished.

My notes are all on a different comp, Insha'Allah I'll look it up for you soon.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:40 PM   #8
ZBT

Done! I know it's a day late.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:35 PM   #9
ayesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumaira Toor
[1] Page 10, Issue #4 > I don't have the names of the whoe held the 2nd and 3rd opinions
Second Opinion: Dhahiree
Third Opinion: Shafi, Maalik, & Ahmad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumaira Toor
[2] Page 12, Issue #6 > What is the Third Opinion?
Third Opinion: ibn Rusht- all dung and urine is pure
This is what I have in my notes. And Allah knows best.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:04 AM   #10
mumina

Unhappy Jersey City Study Session Cancelled Sun 2/6/05

AsalamuAlaikum

this is just to inform you that the study sessions for JC will be cancelled this coming Sunday on Feb 6th ......InshAllah it will continue the following week. Sister Ingy you can update the calendar

wasalamualaikum