Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Hosna

Old 02-07-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Sultana
Qabeelat Hosna

Question Sun Rises From West...

Asalamualaikum,
I recently heard that perhaps the sun will be rising from the west according to NASA around the time of September 31 2005. Not sure since I couldnt locate such information myself...does anyone know of this?
Sultana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
alisalaah

Re: Sun Rises From West...

wallahu alim. i read the science articles on retrograde that said it happens to all planets at one time and ocnfirmed it would happen to earth via science. but i thought they always said it was quite unpredictable.

we know it will happen but Allah alone knows that information
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #3
Abu Ubaydah

Wa 'alaykum as salaam wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakaatuh,

This is an apparant misunderstanding of the retrograde motion of Mars relative to Earth that has been talked about in the scientific journals recently. This is an optical illusion - much like what happens to the other car when you overtake it on highway. Since, our earth is on an inner orbit - revolving around the sun in counter-clockwise direction i.e. eastwards - compared to Mars which is also revolving around the sun in counter-clockwise direction, an observer on earth can experience retrograde motion of Mars. It actually looks more like a loop because of the difference in the plane of revolution of earth and Mars.

All planets do go through this but from the perspective of other planets i.e. the sun doesn't really rise from the west on the planet but rather for an observer on a planet orbiting on an inner axis, it seems like the planet on the outer orbit is moving westwards in the sky. The best analogy is again of various cars moving on a highway. When one cars overtakes the other slow moving car, it seems like the other car is moving backwards compared to the car that is overtaking but in reality they are all moving in the same direction.

Mars does go through this often because earth revolves around the sun at a faster pace.

Now, how would the sun rise from the west?

In terms of physics, this can happen when the earth starts rotating in the other direction i.e. it may still be revolving around the sun eastwards but starts spinning the other way - counter to the way it is spinning right now. This could be caused by the introduction of a foreign object that would impact the earth in such a way to change its axis of rotation. This could also happen slowly over a long period of time such that the axis of rotation eventually becomes parallel to the radius vector of the sun. In that case, even a little tilt (in the axis of rotation) will result in the sun rising from the west. Think of a spinning body - spinning in one direction. What happens when you hold it upside down? It seems like it is spinning in the other direction. It is the same effect. Other theories that will lead to sun rising in the west have to do with actual retrograde rotational motion of earth. Now, if this happens, more than likely, it will spell disaster on earth as a complete and sudden shift in rotation is a chaotic change - pretty much like a foreign object that would shift the rotational axis.

What we know for sure is that it will happen when Allah wills for it to happen. So, we should not worry too much about it and concentrate on our deeds that we know for sure we will be asked about as soon as we pass away. May Allah - swt - make our hisaab easy on us! Ameen! Finally, we ought to be careful in claiming that it may or may not happen in a certain period of time unless we have absolute proof to such a claim.

PS: Any physics major, please correct me, if I said anything wrong.

Jazakum Allahu Khairan
Was salaam 'alaykum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakaatuh
Old 02-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #4
Sultana
Qabeelat Hosna

Jazak Allah for the information...goes to show that this is how "rumors" get started and we shouldnt necessarily believe everything we hear unless verified by credible sources as such.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:50 PM   #5
dhuha

Yeah I've heard that as well, and I also heard it has something to do with the impact caused by the Tsunami. Allah a3lam.

Here is a link about the mars retrograde thing: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/allabout/ni...ightsky04.html
Old 02-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
alisalaah

jazakallahu khair
Old 02-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #7
Shirien
Qabeelat Durbah

salam alaikum , here are some ahadith reguarding the sun rising from the west, as a major sign of the approching hour inshallah. May Allah make us die on his path inshallah ameen.
wallahu alem.

(verse from Quran) Allah(swt says,

Surah 6.Al-Anaam (Cattle), verse 158:

"Are they waiting to see if the angels come to them, or thy Lord (Himself), or certain of the signs of thy Lord! the day that certain of the signs of thy Lord do come, no good will it do to a soul to believe in them then if it believed not before nor earned righteousness through its faith. Say: "Wait ye: we too are waiting."

ahadith

Abu Hurayrah said, "The Prophet (saws) , 'The Hour will not come until the sun rises from the West. When the people see it, whoever is living on earth will believe, but that will be the time when - No good will it do to a soul to believe in them then, if it believed not before' " (al-Bukhari)

It was also reported from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet(saws) said, "The Hour will not come until the sun rises from the West. When it rises and the people see it, they will all believe. But that will be the time when 'No good will it do to a soul to believe in them then'" (al-Bukhari)

It was reported from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet(saws) said, "There are three things which, if they appear, 'No good will it do to a soul to believe in them then, if it believed not before nor earned righteousness through its faith' They are: the rising of the sun from the West, the Dajjal, and the Beast of the Earth." (Ahmad, Muslim, at-Tirmidhi.)

Abu Dharr said, "The Prophet(saws) asked me, 'Do you know where the sun goes when it sets?' I said, 'I do not know' He said, 'It travels until it prostrates itself beneath the Throne, and asks for permission to rise again. But a time will come when it will be told, 'Go back whence you came.' That will be the time when 'No good will it do to a soul to believe in them then, if it believed not before nor earned righteousness through its faith' " (al-Bukhari)
As for killing time, since when is time an enemy that you should strive to kill?! Time is your breath, it is your lifetime and the moments of your life which you could fill with thousands and millions of hasanaat. It is sufficient for you to say Subhaan Allaah wa bi hamdihi (Glory and praise be to Allaah) once, and a palm tree will be planted for you in Paradise, so how many gardens have you failed to plant? How many hasanaat have you lost? (Islam QA)

w w w . b a y y i n a h . c o m / d r e a m
Shirien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 04:07 AM   #8
Abu Ibrahim Santos
Ummat Muhammad

Asalamu Alaikum,

I was listening to one of Shiekh Yahya Ibraheems lectures and he mentioned that according to geologists this has already happened to the earth twice, a few million years ago (the sun rising from the west). He said it was because of a change in rotation due to atmospheric counter spinning which would be the cause of an axis change. Allahu Alim. I believe he also mentioned that he is a Geologist by virtue of education, so perhaps someone who knows him could contact him for more detailed evidence and post it Insha'Allah.

Abu-illya
Abu Ibrahim Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
Sultana
Qabeelat Hosna

Question Re: Sun Rises From West...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Ibrahim Santos
Asalamu Alaikum,

I was listening to one of Shiekh Yahya Ibraheems lectures and he mentioned that according to geologists this has already happened to the earth twice, a few million years ago (the sun rising from the west). He said it was because of a change in rotation due to atmospheric counter spinning which would be the cause of an axis change. Allahu Alim. I believe he also mentioned that he is a Geologist by virtue of education, so perhaps someone who knows him could contact him for more detailed evidence and post it Insha'Allah.

Abu-illya
Hmm, I didnt get a chance to attend that lecture, but if thats what he said then it would be really good to check up on that since he is a very intelligent credible source regarding this matter. Anyone know his contact info?
Old 02-08-2005, 12:09 PM   #10
Abu Ubaydah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu Ibrahim Santos
He said it was because of a change in rotation due to atmospheric counter spinning which would be the cause of an axis change. Allahu Alim.
What does that (atmospheric counter spinning) mean? If this has happend twice already, it would imply that the earth has changed axis at least 3 times or possibly 4 times. Can someone please expand on what atmospheric counter spinning means?

Jazakum Allahu Khairan
Was salaam 'alaykum wa rahmatu Allahi wa barakaatuh