Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > AlMaghrib Student Tribes Discussion

Old 04-15-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
cherenancy
Qabeelat Asad

Re: What does YOUR Islamic Center do best ?

No one is jumping in on this one unfortunately, but here is a thread with a similar purpose:

http://forums.almaghrib.org/showthre...ed=1#post83272

Nancy B

P.S. What the Islamic center I attend does best is tape down carpets. Besides leading prayers, that is the only thing I ever see the administration engaged in, aligning carpets and taping them down. I have consulted them about several issues. There is a suggestion box and a request box for the Imam and I submitted my important issue for consideration a month ago. I guess they er too busy taping down carpets and will get to more pressing issues once everything is all straight.
"Islam appears to me like a perfect work of architecture. All its parts are harmoniously conceived to complement and support each other; nothing is superfluous and nothing lacking; and the result is a structure of absolute balance and solid composure." Muhammad Asad (born Leopold Weiss 1900, converted to Islam from Judaisim in 1926)
cherenancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:45 PM   #2
UmA
Qabeelat Majd

At one mosque:

Sisters' exercise classes without music by professional aerobic instructors (you can attend up to 3 times a week)

At another:

Part of the sisters' section is a soundproofed room with large glass windows which allows moms with little ones to come for jumu'ah and taraweeh.

Here they also have baby change tables in both the male and female bathrooms so either parent can change the baby.

I wish I could say these mosques have amazing education programs too. Any out there?
UmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 06:41 AM   #3
iqrah_123
Ummat Muhammad

-we have amazing halaqa series...I find this to be more beneficial than the normal type halaqa...for a month (or however long it takes to complete it), we learn indepth about one perticular topic

-we also have karate lessons taught by a proffesional

-homework club for those in need...
iqrah_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:22 AM   #4
Mr_GQ
Ummat Muhammad

Assalaamualaikum

Read from Faazil - e - Amaal.
Mr_GQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
UmA
Qabeelat Majd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqrah_123
-we have amazing halaqa series...I find this to be more beneficial than the normal type halaqa...for a month (or however long it takes to complete it), we learn indepth about one perticular topic

Which mosque is that sister?
UmA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 10:53 PM   #6
puddingshop

The men: listening to the arabic lectures every Friday.

The women: sit down in a circle of chairs chit chatting outside the masjid in this huge parking lot while their kids run around outside in the dark throwing rocks, etc.. on Friday night while an Arabic halaqah goes on inside the masjid.

People in general: leave half paired shoes on the shoe shelves, and half paired socks here and there for many weeks.

The admin: they are good at working to try solve the problems.

Last edited by puddingshop; 04-17-2005 at 02:32 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 11:52 PM   #7
bintAbdulHashem

*The masjid I attend has a 'Mommy and Me' playgroup that meets every Tuesday afternoon. The children get to play together and the mommies get to discuss issues and get to know one another... They also coordinate field trips....

*'After Fajr Learning' series, mostly on Fri, Sat, and Sun and everyday during Ramadan; a short talk/Tafseer is given on the Ayats recited during Fajr prayer

*Wednesday nite halaqa with the Imam and young, Muslim working professionals/college students.... It's a small group that meets every week to go over Ayats of Qur'an and discuss a reading assignment from an assigned Islamic book
Old 04-16-2005, 11:55 PM   #8
bintAbdulHashem

*Open gym use for Sisters on Monday nights, where Sisters can play bball
*The first Youth Camp Retreat for one weekend on a camp ground during the middle school/high school Spring Break, where a group of 4-6 students are paired with a camp counselor and two local Imams and a guest speaker presented lectures throughout the day. There were also activities, hiking, games, and recreation during the camp
*Friday Night Halaqa series with the local Imam for the whole community
*Selling lunches during Jumma Prayer to raise money for the Masjid
Old 04-16-2005, 11:57 PM   #9
Soondus
Qabeelat Ruhma

Talking Re: What does YOUR Islamic Center do best ?

Asalamu Alaikum!

My sisters and I do bake-sales for the Masjid that we usually attend. Basically, what we do is we bake food every other Friday and sell it outside the Masjid on the Sisters' side, while our Brother In Law sells on the Brothers' side. Then whatever profit we make, we give it all to the Imam of the Masjid, so that they can use it to pay off monthly bills or use it for any other essential necessities of the Masjid.

We do it for this Masjid in particular because it's in a bad financial state (out of all the Masjid's in Seattle) and often times it is neglected by everyone in this state. I mean it's like everyone prays here but they don't like to help the Masjid get out of its struggle-WHAT A SHAME! Wallahi, I'm just so amazed at how some Muslims are so careless about our Masjids which are the foundations of our Faith.

Nevertheless, my sisters and I do this charitable act only for the SAKE OF ALLAH. So that we may seek Allah's pleasure in this life and in the hereafter. As Allah says in His Noble Book:

“Attend to your prayers, pay the Zakat, and give Allah a generous loan. Whatever good you do for your souls you will surely find it with Allah, better and richly rewarded by Him.”

-Surah Al- Muzzammil 73:20

-and-

“You will not attain to righteousness until you spend of what you love. And whatever you spend Allah is aware of it.

-Surah Al ‘Imran 3:92
-and-

" For those who give in Charity, men and women, and loan to Allah a Beautiful Loan, it shall be increased manifold (to their credit), and they shall have (besides) a liberal reward."

- Surah Al-Hadid 57:18

My advice to all of my brothers and sisters is to do whatever good you do for ALLAH'S SAKE ONLY, DO NOT SEEK WORLDLY GAIN! Because we can only help each other while we're on this earth, since our journey to Allah from the grave to the Day of Judgement will be a very lonely one.

May Allah make us ALL inheriters of the Garden!
-Ameen-
Jazakumallahi Khairun!

The Prophet said, "Religion is very easy and whoever overburdens himself in his religion will not be able to continue in that way. So you should not be extremists, but try to be near to perfection and receive the good tidings that you will be rewarded; and gain strength by worshipping in the mornings, the nights." (See Fath-ul-Bari, Page 102, Vol 1).
Soondus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:00 PM   #10
muslimah11

* weekly halaqa covering one topic in detail per month for women

* Qur'an classes for children ages 4-15 every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. 75 kids. they learn much better because it is frequent. from alphabet to tajweed.