Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Hosna

Old 03-13-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
Sumiyyah

Question Usama ibn Zayd

AssalamuAlaikum,

Our study circle was wondering if M. alShareef ever spoke about Usama ibn Zayd. I mean he told us that Abu Bakr (r) said he was the "knot" he would never untie (because Prophet (s) had placed him in this position despite his young age). I don't really recall if there was anything more said; I just hear about other Amirs (Khalid ibn Waleed, etc) after this point.

Our group did some research on this, but it was not very conclusive. We know that he took up after his father, and he was made head of all armies, but we are still confused.

Clear Lake sisters, I know you guys researched about him. Could you please post a thread or reply to help us out? (Or anyone else who may have a clue?)

JazakAllahu Khayran.

Sumiyyah
Old 03-13-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
UmmSarah

Re: Usama ibn Zayd

Assalaamu alaykum,

I wasn't planning on translating all of this but, well, here's a summary.
This is the beginning of the conquest of the Roman Empire.
The Prophet (SAS) sent a messenger, Duhyah Al-Kalbee, to Hiraql, leader of the Roman empire to invite him to Islam. Hiraql refused. Soooo... in the 7th year of Hijrah the Prophet (SAS) sent an army northwards to fight the Romans and Arab Christians. This is the Battle of Mu'tah when the leaders of the Muslim army Zayd bin Haarithah (Usamah's father), Ja'far bin Abee Taalib and Abdullaah bin Rawaahah were killed one after the other. Khalid bin Al-Waleed then took the flag. (Sidenote: This is when he was nicknamed the sword of Allaah. The Prophet said that "a sword of the swords of Allaah" took the flag. We know from class that the Muslim army ended up retreating and the children threw stones etc. In the 9th year the Prophet led a great army to Tabook. (You can read about his in a seerah book but basically the Christian Arab tribes took the jizyah option instead of fighting.) Then, in the end of Safar, the 11th year of hijrah the Prophet commanded the Muslims, including major sahaabah from muhaajireen and ansaar, to launch a military attack on Al-Balqaa and Philisteen. He made Usamah (RA) the leader over them and gave him specific directions on where to go, how to go, and what to do ( Including...go to where your father was killed). It is said that Usamah's army was ready to go on Saturday, two days before the Prophet's death. Some people disputed that Usamah be the leader. During his last days, the Prophet (SAS) was very ill and was losing and regaining consciousness. When the Prophet (SAS) regained consciousness and heard what they said he stood up, got up on his pulpit and gave a little speech about how Usamah was worthy of leadership etc. It was a short but very touching speech. You might want to look it up. Waiting to see what would happen to the Prophet, Usamah's army set camp in a city called Al-Jurf, three miles north of Madeenah. The Prophet (SAS) passed away and Usamah asked 'Umar bin Al-Khattaab (RA) to go to Madeenah and ask Abu Bakr (RA) for permission fo the army's return. The majority of the sahaabah all said that Usamah's army should come back and protect Madeenah, now that so many tribes had apostated and wanted to attack. However, Abu Bakr insisted that the army continue what the Prophet (SAS) had asked Usamah to do. They kept on trying to convice Abu Bakr out of sending the army and he held two meetings to discuss the issue. Even though just about everyone agreed that the army should stay and protect Madeenah Abu Bakr insisted that the Prophet's (SAS) commands must be followed whether in his life or in his death. The ansaar then suggested that at least someone older thatn Usamah should lead the army. They sent Umar bin AlKhattaab to Abu Bakr to request this. When Umar said that the Ansaar were asking for this Abu Bakr jumped up (he had been sitting) grabbed 'Umar by the beard and spoke harshly to him saying that the PROPHET had made him the leader and you want ME to remove him. When 'Umar went out the people went up to him and asked, "So what did you do?" Umar then told them to "Go away. I just really got it from the khaleefah because of you." Abu Bakr then set out and reached the army. We know that when he was sending them off he walked beside Usamah (who was riding). Abdur-Rahmaan bin 'Awf was leading Abu Bakr's riding animal. Usamah requested that he get down too or that Abu Bakr at least ride too. Abu Bakr said, "Wallaahi you will not get down and Wallaahi I will not ride. What does it hurt for my feet to get a little dusty in the path of Allaah?" May Allaah be pleased with Abu Bakr. Then he told Usamah, "If you see it fit to leave 'Umar with me to help me then give him leave to do so." Then he turned to the army and advised them telling them ten guidelines they had to keep in mind. Then he told usamah to do what the Prophet (SAS) had asked him to do. Usamah then took his army to where the Prophet (SAS) commanded, won the battles in that area, and came back with the war spoils. It took him 40 days to go and come back. The news of the prophet's (SAS) death and of Usamah's raids on the some of his cities reached Hiraql at the same time. The Romans had been planning to attack the Muslims but he was surprised when he heard that the as soon as the leader of the Muslims had been killed some of his cities had been attacked and the Muslim army won. That made him think that those Muslims must be very powerful and have a pretty huge and strong army if they are sending armies to take over new land when their leader just died. They then decided that it wasn't wise to attack the Muslims.

Lessons:

1) Situations change. One day Madeenah is the power over the mainly Muslim Arabian Penninsula and upon the Prophet's death, in what almost seems like the wink of an eye, almost everyone apostates and Madeenah is now under attack.

2) Prophet's (SAS) Orders/Way Must be Followed. It didn't matter to Abu Bakr what the situation was or what anyone else thought. The Prophet's (SAS) commands must be followed. It was Abu Bakr's opinion against just about everyone's. However, his opinion was in following the command of the Prophet (SAS) so it didn't matter how many thought otherwise. We also see Abu Bakr getting very angry when 'Umar transferred the suggestion that someone older should take Usamah's place. The Prophet made that decision, no one can over ride that decision. When seeing Usamah off,he also walked beside Usamah, while Usamah rode; just like the Prohet (SAS) walked beside Mu'aath bin Jabal,when seeing him off to Yemen, while Mu'aath rode. Mu'aath was also young when the Propet (SAS) did this. He also advised the army like the Prophet (SAS) addressed his armies. He then ordered Usamah to do exactly what the Prophet (SAS) had ordered him to do.

3)Just because Most Everyone has the Same Opinion Doesn't Mean it's the Right One. We see that almost everyone thought that the army should stay, but Abu Bakr's opinion turned out to be the more beneficial one.

4) Da'wah Must Continue. It is not to be associated with one person. The Prophet's (SAS) death did not mean the end of Da'wah.

5)When an Disagreement Takes Place, We Should go Back to the Qur'aan and Sunnah. Abu Bakr made the Prophet's commands the deciding factor.

6) Leadership Should be Acknowledged, Even if the Leader is Young. Usamah was the leader of the army and he was given this responsibilty. When Abu Bakr saw him off, he walked to show that Usamah deseerved respect. He also asked Usamah to leave 'Umar in Madeenah if he saw fit. He wanted 'Umar but he didn't order, he requested permission.

7) Good Leaders are Role Models. Abu Bakr (RA) wanted the people to respect Usamah so he, himself, showed him great respect.

8) There are Etiquettes to War. Ingrid typed up the etiquettes and added little pictures beside each etiquette so that we wouldn't forget them. Inshaa'Allaah she can post that soon. It was very creative and well done!

Wassalaamu alaykum,

Umm Sarah
Old 03-13-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
UmmSarah

I, for the most part, summarized this information from a book called "Alinshiraah wa Raf' ud-Deeq bi Seerati Abu Bakr As-Siddeeq" by Ali Muhammad As-Sallaabee, Phd.

It is an amazing book. After each story, the author writes all the lessons (GEMS) he got from the story. I'm enjoying reading it so much. It's making me look for GEMS in everything now.

The book says that the author, from Libya, graduated from Madinah University in 93 and was top of the graduating class, then went on to get his Master's and Phd. in Islaamic Studies. I wonder if Sh. Muhammad or Sh. Yasser have ever met him.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:36 AM   #4
Sumiyyah

JazakAllhuKhairan, Sister Yasmeen!

Masha'Allah, you guys are really on top of things. Alhamdulillah,so many are getting benefit from your sessions (Even if we gain them from the forums!).

You should post all your good ideas so we can use them next time (or this time, maybe!)

Sumiyyah