Important: Read Before You Post

Go Back   AlMaghrib Forums > AlMaghrib Student Tribes > Qabeelat Hosna

Old 03-14-2004, 03:15 PM   #1
Umm Umaarah

Smile Quiz 1 (Abu Bakr)

As salaamu alaikum,

Jazakallah khair to the sister's who posted up quizzes--they REALLY helped. The sisters in the North have had 3 meets so far and they've been helpful. The last one went very well Alhamdullilah. we got a lot covered. i took the quizzes that the sisters posted up and they were the main reason why our study session managed to cover more than usual.

We also made a quiz for the section that covered the section on Abu Bakr (RA) (the other sisters covered some very important points, and since I didnt want to ask the same questions they did, these are a bit more specific).

1. Who gave Abu Bakr tribal protection?

2. What are the four characteristics that don’t gather in a person in one day without him going to Janna?

3. Which two companions did Abu Bakr nominate to be khalifa after the Prophet’s (S) death?

4. The Ansar wanted the khalifa to be from amongst them—what did Abu Bakr say to the Ansar regarding choosing a khalifa?

5. Abu Bakr said that he would fight anyone who separated ________ and _______.

6. Who were the two leaders of the kuffar in the Battle of Uhud that later became Muslims and lead battles as Muslim leaders?

7. The apostating tribes had two choices, what were they?

8. Name one person who refused to pay Zakah (and how he was dealth with).

9. Umar said that Khalid was too tough and swift (because of what happened with Malik ibn Nuwayrah's people). What did Abu Bakr say about Khalid?

10. Musaylimah the Liar claimed to be a prophet. What was the name of the woman who claimed to be a prophetess and what were her people?

11. a) Where was the battle fought with Musaylimah?
b) Which companion cried to be thrown in the garden?
c) Who killed Musaylimah?

12. In Yemen __________ claimed to be a prophet. How did Abu Bakr (RA) deal with his followers?

13. Who was sent with an army to attack the kuffar in Behrain?

14. Which was the first battle of Khalid in the conquer of Iraq? Name two more places that he conquered.

15. Who were the four Muslim leaders in Yarmook? (all under Khalid ibn Walid). In the middle of the battle, Abu Bakr died and Umar appointed who to be Ameer in Khalid’s place?

16. Why did the Muslims conquer these lands? What does this say about them?

17. What were the two biggest superpowers of the time that the Muslims defeated?

18. Why were the apostates not allowed to join the army in Abu Bakr’s time? (two reasons)

19. Did Abu Bakr appoint Umar to be khalifa? What did he say about
choosing the khalifa before he died?

20. Who headed the compilation of the Qur’an? What were his conditions (for the verses that he collected)? Which ayahs were the ones that only one companion reported and who was this companion?

Last edited by Umm Umaarah; 03-15-2004 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-14-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Umm Umaarah

Re: Quiz 1 (Abu Bakr)

Oh--and a suggestion to everyone esp. the Ameers and Ameeras of the study groups--take advantage of spring break!! STUDY HARD, have more study sessions! Don't be the group to let Hosna down!

This was really interesting--i think it was Umm Sarah who said that the sister's make up only 30% of Hosna. Where are the brothers??? I hope they're studying hard but we just don't know it

As I heard Imam Siraj once say (as best my memory can recall): "You think we've done something? We haven't done nothing y'all. We haven't done nothing!"
never think that you've done the best you can. Always work harder to do BETTER, or you won't get anywhere. STUDY HARD brothers and sisters!! study hard!
Old 03-14-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
UmmSarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisha

12. In Yemen __________ claimed to be a prophet. How did Abu Bakr (RA) deal with him?
Assalaamu alaykum,

This is a good question, since Al-Aswad Al-'Unsee caused a lot of people to apostate, but maybe we should change the word "him" to "his followers". Al-Aswad claimed prophecy before the prophet (SAS) died. We know that many people began apostating in the last year of the prophet's (SAS) life (Musaylimah, Tulayhah, etc), when the Prophet (SAS) became ill. Al-Aswad Al-'Unsee was killed by Fairooz before the prophet (SAS) died. However, a lot of people in many different areas of Yemen were still apostates. Abu Bakr first kept control over the matter with the help of some of the leaders in the area that held on to Islaam (like Fairooz and others). After Usamah's army returned from Al-Balqaa, he then sent Suwayd bin Al-Muqqarin to Tihaamah (in Yemen) and Al-Muhaajir bin Abee Umayyah to San'aa then Hadramawt ( also in Yemen). 'Urfujah bin Harthamah was sent to Muhrah (which may also be in Yemen but I'm not sure).

Wallaahu A'lam

Jazzakillaahu khairan, Aisha, for sharing your questions.

Umm Sarah
Old 03-14-2004, 04:06 PM   #4
Umm Sahabah

Quote:
1. Who gave Abu Bakr tribal protection?
Ibn-ud-Daghna

Quote:
2. What are the four characteristics that don’t gather in a person in one day without him going to Janna?
From Sahih Muslim: Abu Huraira narrates that the Prophet (sas) said: "Who began this day fasting?" Abu Bakr said: "I did." The Prophet (sas) said: "Who participated in a funeral procession today?" Abu Bakr said: "I did." The Prophet (sas) said: "Who fed a needy person today?" Abu Bakr said: "I did." The Prophet (sas) said: "Who visited a sick person today?" Abu Bakr said: "I did." Then, the Prophet (sas) said: "These things cannot all meed in a single person but that they will enter Paradise."

Quote:
3. Which two companions did Abu Bakr nominate to be khalifa after the Prophet’s (S) death?
Was it Umar and Uthman

Quote:
4. The Ansar wanted the khalifa to be from amongst them—what did Abu Bakr say to the Ansar regarding choosing a khalifa?
A number of the Muhajirin including Abu Bakr, ‘Umar ibn al-Khattaab and Abu Ubaydah ibn Al Jarrah went and joined the Ansaar where they all participated in the discussion.

Some of the Ansaar suggested that there could be a leadership of two people, one from the Ansaar and one from the Muhaajirin. Abu Bakr, however, replied with a long speech which was all true and to the point. He said, ‘We provide the overall leaders and you provide the ministers.’ He also quoted the Prophet sallallâhu alayhi wa sallaam as saying: ‘The leaders come from the Quraysh.’

The Prophet sallallâhu alayhi wa sallaam also said: ‘I commend the Ansaar to you: accept whatever the good their people do, and pardon those of them who might do badly.’ Allah has described us (meaning the Muhaajirin) as truthful, and described you as successful. He has commanded you to be with us, saying: ‘Believers, have fear of Allah and be among those who are truthful.’ (9:119)

Quote:
He added much that is right and true, supporting it with strong evidence.
5. Abu Bakr said that he would fight anyone who separated ________ and _______.
Salat and Zakat

Quote:
6. Who were the two leaders of the kuffar in the Battle of Uhud that later became Muslims and lead battles as Muslim leaders?
Abu Sufyan ibn Harb (or it was Ikrimah) and Khalid ibn Al-Waleed

Quote:
7. The apostating tribes had two choices, what were they?
To pay zakat or fight

Quote:
9. Umar said that Khalid was too tough and swift (because of what happened with Malik ibn Nuwayrah's people). What did Abu Bakr say about Khalid?
Abu Bakr said: "O Umar, keep your tongue off Khalid. I shall not sheathe the sword that Allah has drawn against the infidels."

Quote:
10. Musaylimah the Liar claimed to be a prophet. What was the name of the woman who claimed to be a prophetess and what were her people?
Her name was Sajah from Bani Taghlib

Quote:
11. a) Where was the battle fought with Musaylimah?
Al-Yamamah
Quote:
b) Which companion cried to be thrown in the garden?
Al-Bara' ibn Malik

Quote:
c) Who killed Musaylimah?
[B]Abu Dujanah wounded him with a sword, Nusaybah bint Ka'b gave him a final blow with a sword, and Wahshi put his spear thru him.

Quote:
12. In Yemen __________ claimed to be a prophet. How did Abu Bakr (RA) deal with him?
Al-Aswad Al-Ansi...He sent these sahabahs to him and they killed him

Quote:
13. Who was sent with an army to attack the kuffar in Behrain?
Al-‘Ala’ ibn Al-Hadhrami

Quote:
14. Which was the first battle of Khalid in the conquer of Iraq? Name two more places that he conquered.
The Battle of Chains

The Battle of the River
Conquest of Hira

Quote:
15. Who were the four Muslim leaders in Yarmook? (all under Khalid ibn Walid). In the middle of the battle, Abu Bakr died and Umar appointed who to be Ameer in Khalid’s place?
Amr bin Al Aas
Shurahbil
Yazeed
Abu Ubaidah

Umar appointed Abu Ubaydah ibn Al-Jarrah

Quote:
17. What were the two biggest superpowers of the time that the Muslims defeated?
The persians and the Romans

Quote:
19. Did Abu Bakr appoint Umar to be khalifa? What did he say about
choosing the khalifa before he died?
Yes Abu Bakr appointed Umar to be khalifa...He said: This is the will of Abu Bakr, the Caliph of the Holy Prophet. He is making the will when he is about to leave for the next world. This is the time when even a non-believer begins to believe and even a sinner begins to trust in Allah. I appoint Omar bin Khattab as your ruler. In appointing him, I have kept your welfare fully in mind. I hope he will be truthful and just. But if he leaves his path and becomes unjust, I know nothing about the unseen, I have only the well-being of Muslims at heart. Everybody is responsible for what he does."
The will was read out to the people. After this Abu Bakr went to the top of his house, supported by two men. Addressing the people he said:
"My brethren in-faith, I have not appointed any of my own brothers and relatives as your Caliph. I have appointed a man who is the fittest person among you. Do you approve of him?"
"Of course we do," went up a shout from hundreds of men.

Quote:
20. Who headed the compilation of the Qur’an? What were his conditions (for the verses that he collected)? Which ayahs were the ones that only one companion reported and who was this companion?
Zayd ibn Thabit headed the compilation of the Quran...

In his Saheeh, Al-Bukhari quotes a report by Az-Zuhree through Khaarijah ibn Zayd who says that he heard his father, Zayd ibn Thabit, say: ‘I lost a verse in Surah 33, Al-Ahzab, when we made the copies, and I had heard it from the Prophet. We looked for it and we found it with Khuzaymah Al-Ansari. It was Verse 23, and we included it at its place in the Surah.’

Last edited by Umm Sahabah; 03-14-2004 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
Umm Umaarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmSarah
Assalaamu alaykum,

This is a good question, since Al-Aswad Al-'Unsee caused a lot of people to apostate, but maybe we should change the word "him" to "his followers". Al-Aswad claimed prophecy before the prophet (SAS) died. We know that many people began apostating in the last year of the prophet's (SAS) life (Musaylimah, Tulayhah, etc), when the Prophet (SAS) became ill. Al-Aswad Al-'Unsee was killed by Fairooz before the prophet (SAS) died. However, a lot of people in many different areas of Yemen were still apostates. Abu Bakr first kept control over the matter with the help of some of the leaders in the area that held on to Islaam (like Fairooz and others). After Usamah's army returned from Al-Balqaa, he then sent Suwayd bin Al-Muqqarin to Tihaamah (in Yemen) and Al-Muhaajir bin Abee Umayyah to San'aa then Hadramawt ( also in Yemen). 'Urfujah bin Harthamah was sent to Muhrah (which may also be in Yemen but I'm not sure).

Wallaahu A'lam

Jazzakillaahu khairan, Aisha, for sharing your questions.

Umm Sarah
Jazakallah for correcting me sister
Old 03-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #6
Umm Umaarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umm Sahabah
Was it Umar and Uthman
The two companions that Abu Bakr (RA) nominated to be calipha were Umar ibn Al-Khattab and Abu Ubaidah (RA).

And Allah knows best.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
Umm Umaarah

As salamu alaikum Sr. Umm Sahabah,
I may be wrong--but
for #6 I have Khalid ibn Walid and Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl.
for #15, the four leaders I have are: Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl, Yazid ibn Abi Sufyan, Abu Ubaidah ibn AlJarrah and Amr ibn Al Aas (RA).

I don't have the name of Shurahbil anywhere in my notes....please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:19 PM   #8
jinn21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aisha
As salamu alaikum Sr. Umm Sahabah,
I may be wrong--but
for #6 I have Khalid ibn Walid and Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl.
for #15, the four leaders I have are: Ikrimah ibn Abi Jahl, Yazid ibn Abi Sufyan, Abu Ubaidah ibn AlJarrah and Amr ibn Al Aas (RA).

I don't have the name of Shurahbil anywhere in my notes....please correct me if I'm wrong.
salam..
yeah i have the same answers.. and inshallah ill go with the answers u and I have coz i believe most of the brothers have the same answers as given in class..

and jazak for posting up a quiz.. can we expect more of those???

ws
Old 03-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
Umm Umaarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinn21
salam..
and jazak for posting up a quiz.. can we expect more of those???

ws
Walaikum as salam wa rahmatullah,

Inshallah...we have two more (on Umar and Uthmaan).
Old 03-15-2004, 08:47 PM   #10
Umm Umaarah

Quiz 2

1) What was Umar's kunya?

2) What was his age according to the Prophet's (S) age?

3) He was very knowledgeable and suggested things that were later on ordered in Islam. Give examples (at least four).

4) What did Umar do to get people to join AlMuthanna's army (as opposed to joining Khalid's army)?

5) a) What did AlMuthanna say to the fighters in AlBowaib to get them to fight their best?
b) Which tribe was sent a message from the Ameer, where after they became the strongest tribe and the Muslims were victorious?

6) Companions were sent to negotiate with the Persian leaders (Rostom and Yazdajard). Rostom asked Rib'ee ibn 'Aamir how it was that the Muslims were successful. What was Rib'ee's response?

7)* How long were the enemies given to consider their options in war?

8) Banu Asad figured out how to take down the elephants. The Persians came up with a counter tactic--what was it and why did their counter tactic not work?

9) On the third day of AlQadisiyyah, what did Sa'd bin Abi Waqqas tell the Muslims (how they would attain victory)?

10) The Prophet (S) had told the Muslims that they would reach the treasures of Kisra--cite two incidents which support this.

11) What was the strategy of the Muslims in the battle of Nahavand?

12) Umar treated people of other faiths very justly. Cite an incident that demonstrates this.

13) Discuss how the capital of Egypt was chosen after it (Egypt) was conquered.

14) Umar refused to eat what the Ummah did not eat--cite two specific incidents.

15) THe companions disagreed on issues, but their disagreements did not penetrate their hearts. Give at least two examples.

16) Who was the companion that Umar said, had he been alive, he (Umar) would have appointed that companion without Shoorah?

17) Umar appointed his son, Abdullah ibn Umar, to be arbitrator if the six that he had chosen to be khalifaa didn't agree. Umar told his son to side with ________________ if the companions were split evenly on their decision.

18) Give at least two examples which demonstrate Umar's humility.

19) Abdullah ibn Umar said, "It never happened that Umar fell in anger and his fury was not subsided at _____________________."

For #7, I couldn't figure out how to word it properly. What I'm referring to is the negotiations that went on and the time the kuffar were given to decide whether to go to war or make peace.

Also, 17 and 19 weren't in the notes, but I came across them while I was reading (History of Islam Volume 1) and I thought they were very interesting bits of information.